Thinking of getting a bigger coil. 15"?

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
Thinking of getting a bigger coil. 15"?

Hello,
Seeking advice again. I've been using my Minelab ex2 now for about 2 years. When going to the beach to do some dry sand detecting i start wishing for one of those WOT 15" coils or something similar. It would also be helpful in less trashy places and fields too.

Any suggestions? Great places to buy one? What are your experiences with one?

Also was thinking of getting a 5" coil too but i think the bigger one would come in handy first.

Thanks
rayray

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: Thinking of getting a bigger coil. 15"?

My experience with the WOT (15" coil) on the Explorer, was that it didn't get any more depth for coin sized targets. All it did was increase ground coverage. To the extent that it might get a bit more depth on coin-sized objects, it was outweighed by the *fishiness* (for lack of a better term). You know, like hard to pinpoint and pick out targets, really mixed up TIDs, etc....

But the nuances for each machine, and its individual interaction to a specific coil, are important. For example: I have heard that some Sov. users have indeed gained a LOT of depth on coin-sized targets with the WOT. So it would seem there is no reason that can't be replicated on the Exp. I mean, maybe it was just my Wot/Exp. combo (made on a Monday, or whatever).

If you talk to someone who's tried to design coils, they will tell you that there are microscopic tightnesses, lengths, etc... to windings and such, that make a difference in performance. In the old days, that led to actual performance differences between different machines, of the same type. Today, with assembly-line precision exact manufacturing, you'd think that each machine is 100% alike. But apparently there are some slight variations between machines. So much so, that "peak performance" can be measured on scopes, showing that in a pile of supposedly exact coils, you can have a slightly different interaction from each different coil, on the same machine.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Thinking of getting a bigger coil. 15"?

I've used the 15" WOT on my explorer at the beach once and as soon as it got a little salt water on it, it was done for the day. I could still take the stock coil out into the water, though.

The WOT works great on CLEAN fields to move through them quickly, but IMO they don't go any deeper in parks and surrounding trash will usually mask deep targets anyways. My buddy only uses a WOT in parks, and he has never showed me a deep signal that I couldn't clearly hear with the stock coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread