Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PENNYHUNTER said:
I am sure someone has asked this before, But I was wondering how many people have a backup detector? and if you do do you take it with you? and if so aren't you scared of leaving it in the car? I am just wondering because I'm thinking about getting a SE pro and I'm debating on selling my mxt.
I own 6 detectors. The only one I consider a "back up" is my Garrett Sea Hunter that I have not yet used yet. It backs up my Fisher impulse 8 that has not yet failed me. You can keep your x-tra md in the car. Keep it covered. If you really think it would get taken, I think you're hunting in the wrong places!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I always have a a backup detector with me sometimes two extra with me......Never lost one yet but like..Terryc...said just keep them covered........ :coffee2:

OP
OP
PENNYHUNTER

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I think I hunt in what I consider safe but I live in California. So anything can happen . I have had a mountain bike stolen from me and I was only ten feet away and didn't even know it was happening.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own many detectors with the back up changing depending on where or what kind of hunt I am on. Example for the beach is Excal main detector with different water detectors as back ups, mainly the CZ20 now. Tiger Shark is back up for inland waters.

I won't carry two in the car as it can become to hot in the sun while just driving around.

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a total of 6 detectors. I always have 2 with me on hunts incase one gives out. I wouldn't sell your MXT. That is a great machine. Get yourself a 4x6DD Shooter Coil for
it. You won't want to use anything else. Happy Hunting.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No backup yet, I'll be getting one when I can.
I will also adjust what detector I bring depending on the site conditions. :thumbsup:

Next will be a analogue MD, also will depend on my mood if I want to play with settings or not.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Cibola is my backup for my CZ5. It is always a good idea to have a backup detector, even if it is a cheaper model. You wouldn't want to drive a long distance to a good location only to have problems with your detector. At least if you have a backup detector, your trip can still be saved.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally three machines with me. One for land that might be spotted on the way to the beach/top of beach. A multifrequency for if rubbish is really bad and a pulse machine for the wet salt.

I have had machines stolen and then there's the damage when they smash their way in.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have 2 detectors and both serve different reasons so, I guess no. Although either could be used in a back up situation, with the exception of underwater.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i run an f-4 to back up the t-2, but plan on trying another, have to get me one of them excal II's though to play in the water

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
I have a Quattro and a Sovereign and I'm not sure which is the back up machine! Take both on every trip unless I am going to the beach. Then I take the Sovereign and a MD3080 for the shallow water.
I also have a Maxi-Pulse 5000 that I haven't used anywhere but the back yard. Will be taking it also when I go cache hunting.
A good back up is important.

grizzly bare

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I use my Ace 250 not so much as a "backup" detector, but solely as my tot lot detector. It actually works better in the tot lot than my M6.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My primary water machine is a water proofed Sovereign GT with a WOT coil, back up for it is my Excal 1000, and I have another Sovereign GT with WOT that is back up for the Excal for wetsand and shallow water. I also have a Fisher 1235X that is my competition machine, but is also a good beach machine. (Not water proof)

Land I have Whites 6000 XL PRO, The Sovereign GT with WOT, and I just picked up a Whites Classic ID with Mr Bill Mod...I also have a Tesoro Conquistador, but it is up for sale so I want have it long............

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
If you know the MXT keep it. I use both of my detectors equally. The GB2 finds gold jewelry and coins better than the SE under certain conditions, and vice versa. Using the SE is a deferent experience, more interactive, but I know my GB 2 better.

If you don't know the MXT like the back of your hand, sell it. Learn one machine at a time is best.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 detectors. The DFX is my main, my Eagle Spectrum is my backup, and my Garrett Deepseeker is my loaner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread