Got my first detector today...

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I got my first detector today, a Sov GT. I went out and searched, after trying to dig two targets I realized I don't have the adequate digging tools, also I don't have a probe. The combination would probably have ruined the lawn if I continued.

I got a couple steady strong signals and a few ones that were very unstable. I was detecting according to the quick start guide in the manual. I did dig roughly 5 inches at one of the strong signals but didn't find anything, the area I dug was about 5x5 inches wide. I'm not sure I was within the area and I had no clue about the depth.

My impression is that this is harder than it seems when you see ppl do it in the video clips.

Hopefully it'll be easier at the beach where I also don't have to worry about destroying the lawn.

How should I configure my GT?

My mom droped a gold necklace 18k about 5grams roughly 15 years ago in the garden, would been sweet recovering it.

-Polarbeer

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try it at the beach if you can, easier digging.

Await my PM.

As for the GT I can't help you, I have the DFX.
But I bet someone else can help you.

This ain't as easy as it looks in the vids for sure, especially since you choose a analog detector (no display) the digital (with display) ones are easier to use for a newbie.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that has one of those detectors, He will tell you in a min. that
they are great detectors. If you have a good researched area to search, don't
give up. Get a good shovel and go for it.

It's the AMERICAN way

Roadquest

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
Was detecting at my parents house and they kind of have a perfect lawn so can't really dig away in it :P

Going to hit the beach later this week, then I'll dig away for sure :D

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
Decided to dig the strongest signal on the lawn and I found a Swedish 1 öre coin from 1901. It seems to have been in very good shape when it got lost but due to being in the ground it's not that good now, maybe if cleaned correctly it will look nice because I don't see any wear on the top parts. Also found 2 buttons, I will try to get some pictures going later.

What kind of target can I expect if I don't get a solid steady signal? In the 2 spots I dug with such signals I found nothing and a nail, should I ignore them?

-Polarbeer

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you are referring to what we call a "broken signal" these are mostly trash with my DFX.

Someone with experience will probably fill in more on the GT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread