pottery2.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 84
  • pottery1.jpg
    pottery1.jpg
    563.5 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

philchar

Mar 24, 2004
I have rented the 808 and it does detect really good. A good way to test it is to have it perpendicular to your auto and then turn it so that it is parallel to it and then it goes off. Step back slowly and you can see how far it detects it.

I recently bought the Discovery 900 but it is giving me problems. It wants to constantly go off all the time. It appears that it needs retuned at the factory.

Price is why I bought the 900. If I had my rathers at this point, I'd go with the White. I really liked it.
Good luck.

cfarrington

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I was thinking of purchasing the White's TM 808 and someone said that there was a design flaw in the jacks where the transmitter and receiver plug into the control box. It appears that this happens after the machine is used a few times. Can anyone confirm this before I buy this unit?

CF

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's also a nearly identical C-Scope version. I haven't even seen a "new" Whites version but compared Whites v Discovery in the past the Discovery was always the more advanced machine which led me to think that it was a Discovery design in the first place in the same way that Eric Foster designed P.I.'s for several different companies but the better/more advanced models were always sold under his own labels of Location Technology and later Pulsepower Developments.

(Before someone posts without reading I'm not saying that two boxes are pulse machines but that the original design companies tend to update and improve the original version to stay ahead of the game)

cfarrington

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I looked on line at Kellyco and apparently the Discovery TF 900 is no longer available. They are substituting the TF 900 with the White's TM-808. Does anyone know if the Discovery TF 900 is available from any other suppliers?

CF

Aug 1, 2003
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's TM 808 and Fisher Gemini III if your looking for a 50 Gallon Drum or larger. Otherwise, stick with one of the Super PIs

cfarrington

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2011
I have a Gemini III and it is a great detector. However, it does not have any tuning features for ground mineralization. I live on a small island in the Bahamas and the ground is high in salt content just about everywhere you search, near the beach for example. I liked the idea of being able to adjust for the ground conditions, which the TF-900 and TM 808 seem to have this feature. I am looking for large deeply buried targets, 4 feet and greater in depth. I have a Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut, which I am happy with but it is good for shallow targets only.

CF

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
First off the discovery and the whites are basically identical because they were designed by the same man. The discovery has a cave mode and the Early whites also had a cave mode, but it was dropped because of patent problems. Actually you can set it up for cave mode manually by ad jesting the shaft adjustment on the other side of the null. I tried to contact discovery a while back and there site was shuttered. I wound up getting a hays 2 Box used. the guy here on T Net that sold it to me told me it had problems with salt beaches. I will find out Labor day when I hit the beach. The hays has picked up a .50 ammo box at 12 ' loud and clear. The hays looks like the gemini which is another good 2 Box. I actually prefer a 2 Box with separated transmitter and receiver. I had the old original blue plastic boxed whites. After a battery conversion to accept new style batteries it would pickup a chain link fence at over 12'. lost it in a fire, I still miss it. With a true 2 Box, one unit transmits and one unit receives. I won't mention any names, but one unit out there operates like a regular detector with 2 coils attached at each end. I sold that one within 30 days of purchase. It is the separation between coils that gives you the depth but also the loss of small object pickup. Hope this info. helps. Frank

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
The TM-808 has one SAT speed while the TF-900 has two SAT speeds, both are good but the TF-900 has an advantge due to the user having access with two SAT speeds as terrian changes.

Someone mentioned the TM-808 and TF-900 are the same, they are not it was the older TM-800 and TF-900 that were the same.

I heard Discrovery came out with a newer model, that may explain the TF-900 being discontinued.

Been using the TM-800 and TF-900 for years, still have both.

Paul (CA)

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used the Gemini 3, TM-800 and now have the TM-808. My main mission is Cache hunting.

The TF-900 is basically the same unit as the TM-800, White's made their own (tm-808) with totally new electronics. There are two versions of the TM-808, the older retains Cave mode as in the TM-800 and TF-900. The new one does not.

If you are going to buy one I would recommend the TF-900 or the older Whites TM-800.

The Gemini 3 is also a good option but the previously mentioned are easier to use and go just as deep.

The TM-808 lacks the performance of the others.

To do any serious searching, you will also need a loop detector to work along the two box unit.

I have a total of five detectors and never go searching with less than three. Each one has a specific job during the search process.

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread