Define Deep?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frequently I see the term "it was deep" bandied around without some kind of comparison or estimated depth or anything to go by. I suspect deep for a coinshooter is different from a relic hunter and different than jewerly at the beach. Also, it would help if you mention if you were just going by the reading coming off the machine or had a ruler (marked off digger counts as well), or if you have done a reasonable calibration of what the machine is telling you and go by that. The more information we have to go by the more we can understand the conditions everybody is operating under. This actually could help in judging the performance of your own machine if you know more about the type of ground, depth, and settings.

Upvote 0

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
For me, I'd say anything in the 1-3"ish range is shallow. 4-5" I consider an average and fair depth 6-7" I consider deep. I've dug and found deeper, and I would label those F'ing deep.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
0"-4" - Clad... It gets left in the ground for future generations.
5"-7" - Average depth on most of my finds
8"-9" - Would consider these to be deep, but they still give off great signals and they come pretty frequently.
10"+ - Only dug a few wheats this deep before. Signals sounded great, but you really had to be moving slowly to hear these.

RLOH

Dec 10, 2005
I hunt for coins and occasionally find jewelery. I don't relic hunt. I program or adjust my detectors for coins so that is where "deep" falls into the mix for me. It seems that in the places I hunt, I have to have a detector that will find a coin that is 7 inches plus. Most of the older coins I find will come from at least 7 inches deep so that is the starting point for my meaning of deep. The deepest coin I ever found was a 1844 large cent from about 14 inches. I have not came close to that depth since. P.s. that was found with an Explorer. Almost everytime I hunt I find a coin from about 8 inches deep. R.L.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Definition of deep: 1/2 inch further than I am willing to dig in any ground condition for any reason.

Used in a sentence: "Man, that thing must be really deep - screw it...."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions