Are Single Frequency Detectors Obsolete?

OP
OP
S

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
Thompy said:
not a chance

You sound like a guy who likes fast machines with excellent target separation.

You should try some of our slow processor multi frequencies detectors sometime. There's a lot to say for them.

For one thing you don't have to cover so much ground (there just aren't enough hours in the day).

Then too you don't have to dig as many holes (the slow processor misses so many masked targets that you don't have to bother with them). Heck, if a coin or ancient relic is masked it's probably not worth diggin anyway.

There are lots more so try one sometime. Your competitors will thank you! :thumbsup: :tard:

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
ive watched a guy run a expII, and he really knew how to work it , very impressive, i watched his buddy also running the exp, haphazardly swinging and pretty fast, then wondering why he doesnt find things like his buddy, all i could do was shake my head.i dont think i could slow down after using the 2 filter whites and now the t-2, but having said that, i want to try some of the cz's and the soveriegn or excal II

OP
OP
S

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
Thompy said:
ive watched a guy run a expII, and he really knew how to work it , very impressive, i watched his buddy also running the exp, haphazardly swinging and pretty fast, then wondering why he doesnt find things like his buddy, all i could do was shake my head.i dont think i could slow down after using the 2 filter whites and now the t-2, but having said that, i want to try some of the cz's and the soveriegn or excal II

All kidding aside, they are great machines but they do require slowing way down.

I'd put my Sovereign GT up against any other VLF. It's great but some hate it because they want to move faster than the machine can go. Actually this is so with all Minelabs. Great machines but slow is the word. You have to give the detector time to analyze each target.

But is the GT really a deeper machine than the Tesoro Tejon? Not by much if it is at all. I also bought the Tejon and I like it almost as much as the GT. I dig stuff just as deep with the Tejon.

But I prefer the GT for it's ability to better reject small nails. All Tesoros love nails. And too, the Tejon doesn't have target tones which is also very bad.

The GT (although slow) has the tones plus better iron capabilities so it's the better all-round machine for the money.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What everyone usually fails to mention is it's the trash that determines how slow you have to swing an explorer. In fairly clean ground sure you can swing much faster. I tend to swing three different ways and all depends where I'm hunting. (Long quicker sweep for clean ground, med. sweep and med. speed for moderate iron, and short wiggle sweeps for heavy iron)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
if you like the tejon, maybe you will have to try the T-2, little faster processor, great audio modulation, as- if not deeper, great target seperation, and has a much expanded iron range over the fisher f-75, choice of # of tones 1,2,3,4 dp modes

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
Weird question on account of probably 80% of the machines on the market are single freq. I think the slowing down is drastically exaggerated. I swing my sovereign casually. I'm not trying to hay the field with it. My Xterra can id a target as fast as you can swing so globally saying that Minelabs are soooooooooooo slow is plain incorrect.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vondrewvious said:
Weird question on account of probably 80% of the machines on the market are single freq. I think the slowing down is drastically exaggerated. I swing my sovereign casually. I'm not trying to hay the field with it. My Xterra can id a target as fast as you can swing so globally saying that Minelabs are soooooooooooo slow is plain incorrect.

..and considering there is probably a bigger difference in price than performance you won't see single freq. gone anytime soon.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say no way....The White's DFX is set up so you can run it single or duel frequency. There is a reason for that.

I think the 6000Di Pro kicked butt at a single frequency.

Al

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
The White's DFX is set up so you can run it single or duel frequency

Maybe they did that to try and compete with the depth of other brands? But it was probably because low freq is more sensitive to silver and copper while high freq is more sensitive to gold and tiny objects. I consider my x70 a single freq but technically I can change the frequency with the coil. I always use the 3Khz for coin shooting.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SamsSon said:
Are Single Frequency Detectors Obsolete?

No.

However... MF offers a lot of advantages over SF. But they require a lot more processing, and a major limitation right now is processor bandwidth (and power consumption). Interestingly, processor chip makers are not idle, and are coming out with more powerful chips at lower power.

So today, SF detectors are not obsolete. Ask again in 10 years.

- Carl

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX manual states that you should employ a 2 second swing whereas the SE manual states that you should use a 4 second swing. I choose the machine based on the type of environment....SE is too slow for sports fields or big areas without much trash, but is great in less extensive, trash or iron infested areas.

HH!
TBGO

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
vondrewvious said:

I was going to mention the xterra70 as a fast machine, you beat me to it. I have the xterra and the F75 both. My son and I were out last night and did a few target comparisons with the same type of signals. He got a sharp dime hit and wanted me to check to see if it was deep or not. I got the same solid hit and it was deep. This school is newer, but the clad sinks FAST. I dug a plug and the dime was still in the hole and deeper than 6 inches. I dug out a little more soil and the target was weaker but still in the hole according to my F75, but the xterra wouldn't signal it anymore. The dime had gotten pushed on edge as I had suspected while I was digging. At 8 inches on edge the F75 gave a strong signal and ID'd correctly, but the xterra couldn't quite get it. The stock coil was on the xterra, so that shouldn't be surprising.

The xterra70 and F75 are more similar to use than I initially would have thought, and I love both of them. I think I need to write a head to head comparison with this post as the beginning when I get a chance.

OP
OP
S

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
deepskyal said:
I'd say no way....The White's DFX is set up so you can run it single or duel frequency. There is a reason for that.

I think the 6000Di Pro kicked butt at a single frequency.

Al

Funny you should mention the 6000Di. Not too long ago a Copper Culture and Float Copper hunter in northern Michigan told me this same thing.

He said Whites went down hill after the 6000Di.

OP
OP
S

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
The Beep Goes On said:
The DFX manual states that you should employ a 2 second swing whereas the SE manual states that you should use a 4 second swing. I choose the machine based on the type of environment....SE is too slow for sports fields or big areas without much trash, but is great in less extensive, trash or iron infested areas.

HH!
TBGO

Right on!

I found my GT masked out way too many targets in high trash areas. But out in the open watch out!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
SamsSon i found the Whites QXT to have great audio harmonics, especially on brass and copper, i am looking for a nother one to complement my t-2, the disc, is slow and noisy, but when run wide open handles a fast sweep speed, ex cellant relic machine

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
personally i like the xt70 with the DD coils, didnt like the xt50, no prospect mode, but felt they were alot slower than the t-2, air tests were close, avantage t-2 by about an inch, but dont do much hunting in the air, i do not like the all metal on the xt's, they have a good disc, and id is more stable than the t-2,and displayed depth is more accurate than the t-2, ive found my ideal machine for now, have you

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Thompy said:
personally i like the xt70 with the DD coils, didnt like the xt50, no prospect mode, but felt they were alot slower than the t-2, air tests were close, avantage t-2 by about an inch, but dont do much hunting in the air, i do not like the all metal on the xt's, they have a good disc, and id is more stable than the t-2,and displayed depth is more accurate than the t-2, ive found my ideal machine for now, have you
... :stop:...Thompy... Yes i have it is the Sovereign GT...............I still dig a lot more trash with the X-Terra 70 than i do with the Sovereign.. :stop:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread