Finally! A NEW Abandond House To Search! A Great Adventure Awaits!

M

mattjd

I was exploring this place called the West End (in Pgh) looking for abandond houses to do some TH'ing in. I went on this one road that was a no outlet road. It was still a really long road though. I DID finally find a abandond house after searching the West End for about a half an hour on bike not to mention that I had rode past two kids and one of them threw a spray paint bottle at me from across the street (he's really lucky it didn't hit me as I have a very low level of tolerance for those types of people from being around them in my past). So anyways I was walking around the abandond house trying to find a way in. It was all boarded up! But if you know me well you know that I don't let anything like this get in the way of me potentially finding treasure. So he's my resort: along side the house are fairly thick vines (the kind with green leafs on them) that are growing along side the house. I'll climb up the vines and onto the roof. Hopefully they'll be a window on the roof that's open cause there's open windows on the higher levels were there used to be glass, but it's gone now. So I'll climb in the roof window (if there is one) and unlock the second story portch door for my friend to enter in (the easy way!). Anyway, I will have Pics of: the house, me climbing up the side of the house (should be interesting), and hopefully some nice finds! And by the way there is a water well in the back that has water filled to the top!

I didn't go in the house today cause my friend is coming with me were going this one day THIS weekend coming up) I just detected the yard today. Not much, just a corroded IH and a silver Rosie not to mention TONS of nails that kept reading as a penny! There were nails everywere! Even when I was digging the Rosie my pinpointer found a small nail in the same hole then the rosie was found next.

I promise Pics by this Sunday so stop back then!

HH and wish me luck on this rather dangerous hunt!

Matt

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt, hope you are doing a little research and getting permission to enter this old house. If not, you could get into serious trouble by going inside without permission. Although abandoned the house still belongs to someone and they may be knowingly storing things inside. If you should get caught in there or remove anything found without permission you could face arrest and serious consequences. Just trying to save you some grief, hope you take this in the vein it was intended. If you have permission, good luck and I look forward to seeing your posts of finds.JIM

Harley digs it

Jun 27, 2005
New Brunswick, Canada
I agree with Jim this might net you a bit of grief if not done right. I would try to find out who owns the house and ask permission to search the grounds, going inside the house is really sketchy unless you have permission to go in there. Also when I was a kid we hung out in an abandoned house all the time, just remember that it could be rotten and you might fall through the floor or stairs if you go in. The house is probably abandoned for a reason, ie not safe to live in.

The house I used to go in had all sorts of treasures from old fashion TVs, radios, furniture, and other things. The fire department ended up burning it down because all the kids hung out there. It was a spooky old house too, sent shivers down your spine when you went in at night.

buudman

Mar 31, 2005
phila.pa
MATT ? ?IM THINKING NOT. NOTHING REALY SOUNDS VERY GOOD ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING.
? ? ? ? ? ?BUT IF YOU DO ?THAN GOOD LUCK................
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?BUD

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your actions if you dont have permission could result in 1st degree burgarly charges, a felony in my state. get permission first and if the owner says no, tell him thank you and leave it alone. keep on digging !!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmileo said:
Matt, hope you are doing a little research and getting permission to enter this old house.? If not, you could get into serious trouble by going inside without permission.? Although abandoned the house still belongs to someone and they may be knowingly storing things inside.? If you should get caught in there or remove anything found without permission you could face arrest and serious consequences.? Just trying to save you some grief, hope you take this in the vein it was intended.? If you have permission, good luck and I look forward to seeing your posts of finds.JIM

You may wanna listen to Jim,

I believe he was a "cop" and knows what he's talking about.

It ain't worth all that, and "we" detectorist don't need anymore bad press.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's been a lot of good advice given already. And I have to agree. Better to be "Safe than sorry" ! I hope that you do get permission and have lots of finds !

Huntin' 59er

cableman79

May 17, 2005
Mobile, Alabama
I agree with everyone thus far! It is a good idea to take heed to what is being said here. Think; if you owned the house would you want someone crawling around on your roof! Personally I'd rather not hear of your exploits if you are breaking the law and I believe no one here would encourage such activities.

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Well, judging from his past posts and his own personal website, I doubt very seriously he will heed any advice given on the forums.

Heres what you do. Hunt it REAL early in the morining like as soon as it gets light out. No people, no problems. Don't go through the crap of getting permission then they'll just say no anyways.

HH Matt

You shouldn't have asked permission for a place like that! Next time just detect. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

By the way, me and my nauty self would detect it still since the owner lives 70 MILES AWAY!

HH ? ? ? ? ?Matt

"I was walking down a street on my way home. I never benn down this street before. As I walked down the street I noticed a old house that looked abandond. Two cars were parked in the driveway, but both were junk. All the windows in the house were broken and there wasn't NO TREASPASING signs anywhere so I decided I would go in to treasure hunt the next day. The next day came and I left home around 9:00 in the morning. I entered the house through a window in the back. The basement was really dark and musky. The only light that was in the basement was light from the open coal door. As I search the floors it seemed as if the place was abandond 50 or so years ago. I came across a closet and opened it. Inside on the top shelf was a purse. Inside the purse was a silver coin stash. On the third floor I came across a door that was locked so I kicked it down. Inside was a messy old office with desk. Inside the desk I found a bunch of jewlery. I was very happy about all my finds. On my way out the window I cut my elbow on the glass left at the side of the window. Total finds: stash of 52 coins: 16 Franklin halfs, 8 Washinton quarters, 26 Roosevelt dimes, and 3 Mercury dimes, a 14K ring with 5 small dimonds in it, a gold bracelet, a 1964 proof set, cuff links, and a lot of old keys from the 50's."

I'm sorry, but these are NOT the ethics or methods of a true metal detectorist, these are the methods of a common thief!! I have NO respect for someone who would do this kind of stuff in the name of metal detecting. THIS is exactly where metal detecting gets its bad name!!

You should really reconsider your methods Matt...

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? ?Some of you may have read my feelings about this before it was deleted. Bottom line is if you tresspass onto someone else's property and you take things that do not belong to you YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW AND SHOULD BE ARRESTED!!!!! I am not politically correct nor ever plan to be. ;D

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
I'm pretty sure Matt is a kid (15-16 yrs old or so?) I wouldn't call him a waste of skin, at least not just yet. He is young enough that he can change his ways and become a decent detectorist with morals. But if he doesn't change soon then he will be no better than a common thief.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt ;
What Exactly do you mean by Abandond ?

Taken for Back Taxes & now going to Waste, because the State Ownes It, and all
they cared about was, not letting someone live in it without paying taxes ?

Taken by a Bank & going to Waste, for pretty much the same Greedy Reasons ?

these "TO ME" would be the only Cenerios, where they could actually be considerd Abandond.

If taxes are Being paid on the Property, it is Personal Property, and should be Givin Respect.
My suggestion, Go to the CourtHouse & find out IF their is an Owner.

To everyone else, Thank you for trying to stear him right, without Calling Names.
That's what In My Humble Opinion, makes this Forum a cut Above the Rest.

Jeff

OP
OP
M

mattjd

I checked the county website before I posted this topic. It belongs to some bank in the West End. I ALWAYS check this website to make sure I'm not STEALING other peoples items out of the house that they intended to retreive someday. And if it is private propety I get permission before going in or permission from a neighboor that knows the owner well. And please do not label me as a theif. I seach abandond houses for treasure because THAT IS WHERE IT IS! And I make sure I do it all legally. So mind your own P's and Q's when it comes to legal stuff. I posted this so that you all can look at some pics and read the story. Not so I can hear you all talk about how I'm going to grow up to become a criminal and stuff like that.

Anyways, were going in Friday so pics will be up on Saturday. Sorry I didn't post this later I was just too excited about it. The house looks real promising too. Get back to you all later.

HH Matt

OP
OP
M

mattjd

Free2Dtect said:
This is a great contest idea folks!? ;D? Post the best item you can find in the olde neiborhood. LOL

LOL!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS for Clearing that up for those Concerned MATT.

? ?I have a Friend Who, due to Catastrophic Health Reasons, Lost his House to a Bank.
? ?They Padlocked it & let it sit for Kids to Smash up & have Partys in, for years, all because They
? ?Couldn't see someone living there for free.

? ? ? ?ODDS are that place is going thru the same process.

and NO, I'm not Politically correct either.

? ?Good Luck & be Careful.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? JEFF

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
I checked the county website before I posted this topic. It belongs to some bank in the West End.
Sure you did Matt... What's that wesbsite that shows who owns it? Or the address you checked on?

I ALWAYS check this website to make sure I'm not STEALING other peoples items out of the house that they intended to retreive someday.
Just like you checked the "abandoned" house where you got the coins, then some guys came in getting furniture after you had pillaged the house. I guess they were employees of the bank that owned that house too, huh? Or the elderly people that lived in that house... I'm sure they just ran off and left those coins, cufflinks, rings and other jewelry behind because the banks kicked them out and they had to leave in a hurry... ::)

And if it is private propety I get permission before going in or permission from a neighboor that knows the owner well.
You've explained that pretty well in your quoted posts above... You know... Don't bother asking permission.....

And please do not label me as a theif.
All I can say to that, is if the shoe fits....

I seach abandond houses for treasure because THAT IS WHERE IT IS!
My house doesn't have a No Trespassing sign on it, nor do any of the others in any neighborhood I've seen. Usually because they are OWNED by someone and thieves don't pay attention to signs anyway...

And I make sure I do it all legally.
I hate to tell you... But just because a bank owns the house doesn't make breaking and entering legal... If banks owned the houses they would be cleaned up to the standards set forth by the local government. Ask Jimmileo if thats not true... Being in code enforcement he is responsible for exactly these kinds of scenarios...

So mind your own P's and Q's when it comes to legal stuff.
When you start giving my hobby a bad name, it is MY P's and Q's.... Because it effects every one of us... Not just you... Anytime you do something in the name of Treasure Hunting/Metal Detecting it is everyone's business!!!

I posted this so that you all can look at some pics and read the story. Not so I can hear you all talk about how I'm going to grow up to become a criminal and stuff like that.
I don't care to see pictures of your victims property after you've kicked in doors, busted windows or broken boards to gain entry. That makes us an accessory to the crime if we don't report it...

Anyways, were going in Friday so pics will be up on Saturday. Sorry I didn't post this later I was just too excited about it. The house looks real promising too. Get back to you all later.

HH Matt

Don't you think they put those boards on the windows for a reason?? To keep people out, maybe?? Or are they willing to give just YOU (a 15 yr old) exclusive access to the property? I'm sure they told you to go ahead and break the boards out so you can gain entry as well, huh?

Matt... I'm not trying to be hard on you to embarrass you friend... I'm just trying to make you see that no matter how hard you try and justify it, it doesn't make it right!!!

I live by an old saying my Dad told me... Doing what's right isn't always the easiest thing to do, but it's always the RIGHT thing to do... And I'm sure not any better than anyone else on these forums, but I darn sure stay within the laws on anything I do... Now.. I've not called you any names, or made any derogatory comments to you in this post, so it should be able to stay intact.... I'm only trying to get you to see that what you're doing is probably illegal and can get you into a LOT of trouble... And as bad as I hate to say it, I don't believe you've checked anything to see who owns what... You found some vacant properties and decided to target them without any further consideration...

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I'm awfully sorry Matt. :'( I guess the part about climbing up the vine on the outside of the house to enter through a broken window threw me off. Sounds perfectly legal to me. ::)
Where I come from the fence doesn't need to have a sign. The fence is to keep livestock in and people out. Cross my fence to steal from me and take the consequences.
Gold Digger is an intelligent person.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
One last thought before I say good-bye to this post. Bonnie and Clyde used the excuse that it's only the banks money we're stealing. And they all lived happily everafter.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
The state of ms has an interesting law on this........if it is not yours you are tresspassing. ALL property belongs to someone . If the owner is not with you ...you must have written permission . This sounds like the local hoodlums view on something they want to do....cause it does not belong to anyone . ::) I owned a building where a business had closed...after about $30.000 worth of mat was taken ,i started staying there..........with a shotgun. The thieves were lucky...they did not come back !!!!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I responded to this post I did so with the intent of keeping a young man and a fellow forum member from getting into trouble unwittingly. I was not aware of any of the past posts regarding Matt's methods of acquiring his past finds and I thank goldigger for bringing it to my attention. Matt, I am talking to you not as a former cop or authority figure but as a father who raised two sons and care very deeply for the welfare of young people no matter who they are or where they live. Son, you have already confessed to committing a couple of felonies and a few midemeanors in your past posts. Don't compound it by doing it again. Whether you realize it or not you have already commited second degree burglary, breaking and entering, possession of stolen property and I am sure a good cop could come up with a few others. That property that you took from those other houses belong to someone, perhaps the sons or daughters of the former owners or even the person or firm that holds title to the property. Perhaps those coins and jewelry were keepsakes from a deceased mother or father or even grandparents that their heirs should rightfully have. Perhaps it is the only reminder of their lives for their loved ones to share? Maybe it legally belongs to a bank or lending institution for a defaulted loan, who knows? No one would just abandon those things for anyone who wants them to come along and take them. Taking them the way you did is a crime. You can and should be punished for taking them and at the very least you should make restitution to the true owner. So, what can they do since you're only 15? Well, lots of things. They can take you away from your home and loved ones and put you in a state institution for juvenile offenders. They could certify you as an adult and send you to the penitentiary for about 5 years where you at your age would become an unwilling lover to some burley con who will kill you if you don't give it up. They path you are taking now goes nowhere. You are opening yourself up to a life of misery and grief but the good news is that it is not too late to stop it and stop it now. It's up to you. You seem like an intelligent person so put your talent and intellect to work for you, not against you. Go to your parents and tell them what you have done so far and ask for their help. If you can't do that for some reason, go to some adult that you respect and trust and confide in them. You need to set some things right and now is the time. Don't do it for me, do it for you. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread