Permission needed?

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
There is an old town nearby with a ton of shipping history dating backt to the 1600's. On the main street that runs by the water they are either building a brand new house or doing a complete rebuild. There is no grass, and the house is all studs at this point. Would you think I could slip in after the workers left swing a few, or should I try to track down somebody for permission?

thanks,
Dan

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ask the workers.

in a case like this it's best to ask.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There is a lot of things you don't say, like is it some sort of city property (for eminent domain or something), or private property? Is it fenced or posted? Etc... But in general, I never ask for old-town urban demolition sites because you will almost always get a "no" (or no response at all), when in fact, no one would have noticed or cared probably. I've even had cases where some worker will tell me "no, but *wink wink* what I don't see after 5pm I can't bother me". So sometimes you gotta treat old-town urban demolition sites like nose-picking: just be discreet. But like I say, it depends on the litigical climate of your area, whether or not it's fenced, and type of fencing (I don't consider a few orange cones or yellow tape to be fencing). But you will get lots of different opinions, depending on people's caution thresholds. Heck, there's people who think you need permission to hunt public modern sandboxes ::)

OP
OP
kierdan

kierdan

Jun 26, 2006
Elkton, Maryland
Tom_in_CA said:
There is a lot of things you don't say, like is it some sort of city property (for eminent domain or something), or private property? Is it fenced or posted? Etc... But in general, I never ask for old-town urban demolition sites because you will almost always get a "no" (or no response at all), when in fact, no one would have noticed or cared probably. I've even had cases where some worker will tell me "no, but *wink wink* what I don't see after 5pm I can't bother me". So sometimes you gotta treat old-town urban demolition sites like nose-picking: just be discreet. But like I say, it depends on the litigical climate of your area, whether or not it's fenced, and type of fencing (I don't consider a few orange cones or yellow tape to be fencing). But you will get lots of different opinions, depending on people's caution thresholds. Heck, there's people who think you need permission to hunt public modern sandboxes ::)

It was really dark when I drove by it but looked like no fence or at the very best maybe caution tape. I am going to try to swing by tomorrow I think and see if I cant find something out. I will probably just try to get permission anyways. Went back and checked and the town was'nt founded until 1740's, I thought I had read awhile ago 1600's. Here are some pictures from the town if anyone is interested. http://www.ccps.org/nems/moore/HSCC/Charlestown WG/index.htm

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the theft of building materials at an all time high...I'd ask.

You really don't want to go there after someone ripped them off and be a prime suspect. I'm sure someone's keeping a close eye on it.
Al

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most states have laws against entering a construction site. You may be committing a FELONY by entering without permission. The construction crew is NOT authorized to allow you on site, only the owner. Hope it works out for you... TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions