First time out with the new 10x12 SEF coil for the DFX

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Ok not huge, but I did get 30 minutes in with it today before dark. In the 30 minutes I had I found 10 coins. Ok not bad. Here's what I observed: 1 the coil is very sensative (almost too sensative). What do I mean? Well, if swinging the coil some what fast, it like to give a high tone chirp on a lot of targets, but was I honed in on the target, the ID stablized and the true target ID would sound. Not a bad thing, makes you stop and really listen to each target.
2) Excellent target seperation. Like all the EXcelerator coils I have, the target seperation is absolutely awesome. 3) Deep. Yes I said deep. How do I define deep? Well in our lovely iron infested, mineral rich red clay ground, I found 2 dimes at 6 inches with this coil. Although the audio was somewhat broken, there was enough repeatable high tones to justify digging the target.

Why did I decide to try this coil? After all I had the White's 6x10DD coil. Here's the story behind it. When I first got the 6x10 I was headed for vacation to Nebraska. I only used the 6x10 while I was there, and in the few total hours I actual hunted I came home with 6 silver dimes, 3 of which were 8 or more inches deep! Now the soil conditions were very fine, moist granulated black river bottom dirt. Excellent for detecting. I was impressed. But once I got back to North Carolina, I found the 6x10 was struggling to find coins any deeper than 3 inches in our soil here. I started to evaluate the success and finds of those I know also use the 6x10 a lot around here and determined the 6x10 just does not seem to perform well here. Since I have both the 10x14 EXcelerator and the 4.5x7 EXcelerator I know the performance of these coils is proven in our ground conditions, and could only hope the 10x12 is just as good. So I sold the 6x10, and now you know the rest of the story.

I plan on giving the 10x12 SEF a pretty good workout this weekend (6+ hours) in various area and conditions. I will report on it's performance as I get some time to use it. First impression? So far, I'm pretty impressed.

Upvote 0

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
It works on the DFX so you know it works on the MXT. Really, Steelheadfever has been testing the 10x12 on the MXT. He posted on the MXT forum. Kellyco has them. Rob

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Jim Hemmingway said:
Hi nc-joe,

Sounds good so far. How does the SEF coil pinpoint compared to your other large EXcelerator coil?

Did you get the coil here in North America, if so, where? I'm curious to learn if these SEF's are available yet for either the MXT or especially the F-75. Thankyou.

Jim.

I found as long as you have VCO on, pinpointing with any DD coil is quick, easy and accurate. I do pinpoint side to side and turn 90 degrees to get he center cross points. I also use a Sunray DX-1 which aids in pinpointing targets within 4 inches in depth.

I did get my coil from Kellyco. Basically they are the only place to get one in the USA. The coil will work on the DFX and MXT and most likely the M6.

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Jim Hemmingway said:
nc-joe,

I read your other post, but decided to respond here and keep it all in one thread. Thanks for the update. Be very interested in any further reviews, or thoughts you have on this coil as you gain experience with it. The coil has an interesting configuration. Looks like two DD's side by side, yet the manufacturer claims good separation, better pinpointing than a regular DD, plus the depth of a concentric where minerals permit. Hmm.

Have you noticed how it does over iron, say, how it affects your audio response and how the signgraph respond over a large iron nail or something a bit larger? Another thought...how does it feel swinging it...ie is it noticeably heavier, or not too bad. Appreciate your thoughts if/when you can get around to it, anytime down the road.

BTW...I went to Kellyco's site, and did check under the accessories, then under coils but couldn't seem to find them. I don't doubt they are there, but can you say where you found them? Thanks Joe for your help.

Jim.

No problem Jim, The seperation is super awesome. The depth is very good, however after about 5 inches the audio starts to break up, but there are enough repeatable high tones to justify digging targets upto 8 inches deep.

The weight really does not seem to be an issue. For the most part is feels just a tad heavier than the stock coil. Iron, for the most part, is really short choppy low grunts and the signagraph is spread way out.

One more thing on the awesome pinpointing..... the depth reading is dead on correct. I have only used the coil here in the heavily mineralized North Carolina red clay, and the depth it gets here is truely impressive. I can only imagine it will do even better where the soils conditions are not so rotten.

I did buy mine from Kellyco. They are on the website. Go to "search coils" then scroll down to EXcelerator Coils and choose either the White's or Minelab and then select the SEF coil. If I recall right, there was an error on the website, it listed the larger coil twice, but when you look at the the part numbers you can identify which one is the 10x12.

This coil has already earned it's place as my #1 go to coil. It is so sensative and versitale I don't think it will be coming off much.

If you need me to post the link to where the coils are on the Kellyco site, let me know.

But...... if you are going to buy one, I suggest you call them and talk to Tony, or JW if Tony is not available, they will give you a great deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread