Ring tips?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've only ever comes across 3 rings. All 3 were silver. One in my mother-in-laws front yard, the other under a dugout bench at a park, and the third in the middle of a field. Some of you know me as the guy that rejects gold/aluminum, but I recently changed that and i'm digging tabs again, heh.

Any tips on rings for us land lubbers? (I know you guys get a ton water-hunting, but I doubt my XLT would work well for the beach)

What I know already is that tot-lots have a relatively high number of wedding rings in them, often in the sandboxes as tots play, but they've gone to wood chips around here.

I'd really like to find one more before the year is out. (I'm in Seattle BTW if that matters)

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you haven't dug a few hundred pulltabs yet, you're not due a gold ring. Gold discriminates out at very low levels often. If you're leaving tabs, you will leave rings as well.

T

The.Boomer

My ratio runs 3-400 pull tabs for every jewelery find. I hunt parks, schools, fresh water lakes, streams, beaches.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Lasivian, what makes you think you can't use your XLT on the beach? Sure you can. You just can't dunk the box. I used to use an XLT on the beach all the time. And if I anticipated getting sloshed by waves, or rained on (d/t I hunt beach storm erosion), I'd just wrap up the box in plastic real good.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt, the beaches are the best place for rings. Rings to trash ratio is higher and easier to dig. Yes you can hunt the beach with your machine. Just stay in the dry sand. Go on a very busy day and time to observe. Observe where the line of towels is... usually along the crest of the sand before it tapers to the water. That's your efforts should begin. Also, in parks, just accept the fact that you "gotta dig da trash to get da cash"(rings). TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Terry, why would he need to stay on the dry sand? The XLT can hunt wet sand. The coil is also submersible, just not the box.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never used an XLT, nor do I know its specs. Armed with NO knowledge of its sensitivity to salt water, it would be safe to assume it would operate similar to most vlf units would on dry sand. That's all my point was. TTC

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right again about the XLT. While it is not a water machine it can still be used on the wet and dry sand, even in the shallow water. If it becomes unstable in the wet sand just keep turning down the sens till it quiets down and go at it. It still may chirp because of the black sand present in the wet sand, but will still respond to gold rings if you don't disc out pull tabs.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
My favorite place to hunt rings, or jewelry, for that matter is hands down.....swimming holes! Is there a lake in your area? If so, I would go where a great deal of peope swim. I prefer to go during the week when there are less people there. Pick out a stretch of the beach area. Take 50 feet or so and grid it our from the water's edge back up the beach to the dry sand area. It too easy to swing and miss stuff if you don't grid the area. If you want gold.....gotta pull the tabs! I make a game of if my counting them. They will also mask good silver. Good luck and happy hunting.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you walk down the sand take very small steps.... like a penguin with your feet spread apart. Your imprints will look like a sea turtle going back to sea. Very easy to see where you've been. TTC

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my Classic 3 at fresh water beaches with great success, I even go wading with it.

All you need is a sand scoop.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
fishen-fool, a few tricks to making the XLT cooperate in the wet salt: Edit out -05 to +03 or so. Those are the numbers for salt. Yes, there is a TINY remote chance, that a teensy platinum earing stud or thin gold earing might read down that low, but if at some saltwater beaches, it's the only way to quiet the XLT down. Also make sure your sens. is down to the low 50s, and that your pre-amp gain is low. The amount of gain and sens. you can use will also depend on the mineralization of the particular beach you are at. You can usually tell how nasty it's going to be, by the color of the sand. Whiter sand is probably low minerals. Cinimmon color is mid-way. And when you start seeing beaches that have a grey or gunpowder looking color to them, is when it's pretty nasty. I've seen gullywashes after storms, where the sand was fully black. Nothing but a pulse willl cut through it when it's that bad.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you're ready for a PI machine, Sandman appears to have all those bases covered. My bread and butter PI unit is a Fisher Impulse 8. Jars of beach jewelry with that machine... but it's old. My Sea Hunter will take over when the Impulse 8 dies. TTC

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
TerryC said:
When you're ready for a PI machine, Sandman appears to have all those bases covered. My bread and butter PI unit is a Fisher Impulse 8. Jars of beach jewelry with that machine... but it's old. My Sea Hunter will take over when the Impulse 8 dies. TTC

I've got my eyes on an Excalibur II, tho by the time I buy there will probably be an Excalibur III ;D

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I have used the XLTmany times at the beach. It does great in the dry sand, but has its unstable moments in the wet sand. Some days it is ok but others it just becomes too unstable near the water.

HH

Ray S

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Although I check a few volleyball courts weekly, I definitely find more rings and earrings out in open grassy areas of parks than I do on the sandy courts.

My sensitivity is always run high as I can, but I discriminate the smallest bits of foil out.
I dig quite a bit of crunched and balled up chunks of foil.
This week it's been more than a few pieces of the lead foil from wine bottles.
No rings.
Actually, finds have fallen off quite a bit.
Persistence will get you the gold!

Best

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The best place to find lots of gold rings on dry land are places/areas like old military housing, especially if the yards and common areas had grass and are scraped. The reason being is that areas like this had lots of young transient married couples, with a disposable income and young children. You also need a machine that you dig more than pull tabs with.

I relate nickles, zink pennies, dimes and deep bottle caps to gold rings more than anthing else, not just pull tabs.

You don't believe me, I can prove it, don't make me start posting my rings :icon_jokercolor:.

HH

T

The.Boomer

Best way to find rings at parks; Stand in parking lot with wife or girl freind. Give them a cheap test ring, then have her throw ring out into open feild. Find test ring and hunt intensively in a 20 yard wide arc around her standing location. Repeat from various locations. ;D :D :wink:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
LoL

I actually got called in on one of those 'chuck it all' things, Boomer.

Young couple had a difference of opinion out in the back yard,
He says, 'well I'll tell you what I think of that' and off came the gold band and he sailed it off into space.

They kissed and made up, asked me to look for it days later...

Powerful young buck, he was! The bloomin' ring coulda been in orbit!

I gave 'em an hour or so through some overgrown hillside terrain...
They were NOT buying the beer, so I wished them well !

;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread