All that Glitters is not Gold - Jim - Please tell us more!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim H. posted a great overview of where to look for silver and other metals in Onatrio in the current thread on Test Plot Depth testing. If you missed it you should really go read it. All that glitters is not Gold

Jim, can we impose on you to give us a few sentences on how you go about detecting/prospecting in Canada? You gave some good tips about research to locate likely sites, but the practical details about access are a bit of a mystery to me - and I'm sure many others - here in the bit of North America which you Canadians left for the rest of us.

Is it private land or public? Are there claims to avoid and if so how do you do that? All the usual stuff about access. Oh yes, how's the fishing?

Upvote 0

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Rick:

I've had difficulty trying to post here today, not sure why. OK, let's see about your question....

When I mentioned to Trout that "I don't know about access" for that area, I was referring to more recently abandoned mines. Many of these mines operated off and on right into more modern times. I try and stick to long time abandoned mine sites/immediate adjacent locals.

How do you know about abandonment time frames? My research material clearly specifies the time periods of operation and cessation; also, my information indicates (at least at the time writing) which areas are accessible to collectors. In some cases, this information is not provided...so it's an open question until you arrive on site. Accessibility can change in big hurry. Some more recently abandoned sites are off limits to collectors due to potential liability issues. This is an important reason for researching individual mine properties. If you arrive on site to see it's posted, fenced-off, or perhaps a locked gate in place....that's it, leave.

Nearly all land in these areas is considered to be Crown Land, open to the public...but how that is impacted by claims, I honestly don't know. Others on the forum should be able to provide that answer…in legal terms. Common sense tells me to keep off. In remote areas of heavy bush, it's not so easily comprehended by urban dwellers, just how completely confusing this issue can be. There are few visible indications of claim markers/boundaries out in the bush.

Best thing is to stick with known accessible sites, with no potential issues to be concerned about. Most folks in prospecting areas up north (hardrock country), are friendly and accommodating. Some claim owners I've met over the years have invited me over to hunt their claim. They do not seem concerned that you might, against high odds, find some small piece of silver or whatever, although gold might be a different matter. They are interested though, in obtaining any further information that you might acquire poking around the site.

I use a little strategy when I want to strike up conversation in such areas. Just walk a stretch down the backroad on the way to your nearby destination, detector in hand, pick visible on your belt, make eye contact with anyone driving towards you, perhaps a friendly wave or nod, and there's a good chance they'll stop and shoot the breeze. You can learn much in this manner. Such encounters happen frequently to me since I'm often visible detecting adjacent to various trails leading from backroads into mine sites. I often look for material they meant to take, but lost along the way. Oxen and carts were not entirely reliable transportation for heavy ores on rough trails, and spills did happen. Point being, such conversations provide valuable information about opportunities, and accessibility.

Hope this helps Rick.

Jim.

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee Jim, it looks so flat and open on Google Earth and now you tell us it's a jungle!

Thanks for the information - sounds like a pretty relaxed part of the world. Nice contrast to some places where the most popular forum discussion is about what kind of handgun to carry while detecting.

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Rick, I've never met anyone in my travels who was anything less than a gentleman. Perhaps I've been fortunate, I guess people find me an approachable and easy conversationalist. You can clearly see on this forum, plentiful evidence that I'll talk on about detectors almost forever. Long-winded.
But it pays to be willing to engage folks, it does open doors in prospect country, and I imagine for the folks who coin/relic hunt as well. I always engage people I meet with deference and respect.

About the northland here, it's pretty much forested on the shield. There are a few breaks, around New Liskeard (Hwy 11 between Temagami and Kirkland Lake) for example, where the clay belt intrudes visibly, giving way to local farmland areas. Then, just as quickly, back to the shield. Rocks, kettle lakes, wildlife, great fishing, minerals...plus muskeg in some areas...that's what we have on the shield. Nothing to warrant a handgun, but definitely a detector, pick and packsack. You may one day wish to come this way and see it Rick, and if so, look me up.

Jim.

Jim.

OP
OP
Rick K

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the hat Jim,

Anybody with a hat that cool will have no trouble in this world!!

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Rick, that photo is from Jan/08, and the hat is not a prop. It's part of me, and it goes where I go. It's a modified Tilley hat, guaranteed for life...even if it gets eaten. I have several. Since taking early retirement, rather than trying to figure out something in the morning, I just throw it on, mission accomplished. Freedom. :)

Jim.

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd
Rick I must agree..The hat Jim is wearing makes him look like he's a gentleman and a scholer...Pretty sharp canuuk indeed...Rick we here in the States would get either shot By an owner for being on there land, or robed By a gang member of some sort..Upper canada must be a Very Humble place in this crewl world..Jim we have very little public land here to hunt..All the civil war relic places are off limits..and the Gold mines are for sure off limits..So we only hope to find a Gold Dribble in a local creek or Beach somewhere..I have found the older folks a person can find to talk to about History and there life the better posibilitys there is for a good hunt....Great reads and info folks..james

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Jim Hemmingway said:
Yes Rick, that photo is from Jan/08, and the hat is not a prop. It's part of me, and it goes where I go. It's a modified Tilley hat, guaranteed for life...even if it gets eaten. I have several. Since taking early retirement, rather than trying to figure out something in the morning, I just throw it on, mission accomplished. Freedom. :)

Jim.

Hmm, Tilley Hats.. even the name is cool. I think i'll hafta browse their website :).

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes fellas, the Tilley hats are very popular here in Canuckland and around the world among the outdoors types. I believe it was Sir Edmund Hillary (sp?) whose endorsement brought these hats to the fore. I think my model runs right around $80 dollars or so. When it gets dirty, into the wash it goes...good as new. There are also much cheaper imitations that don't stand up nor keep their shape.
The Tilley is warranted for your life, anything goes wrong, no questions asked...you get a new hat. Honesty works both ways on that arrangement. Last thing, there are many styles to choose from, for example, if you want a larger brim cowboy style hat, they've got 'em. If you're off to see the Queen, well they've got hats for that too. :)

Jim.

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd
;D...Jim I need to snatch me up one of them there Tilley Cowboy hats....I might look kinda spiffy and all Dignified.. :thumbsup:...james

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread