Detech Excelerator Coils - Boon or Bust?

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
I recently purchased a Minelab Musketeer, along with two Detech Excelerator coils - a 5" and an 18". After having used the machine for several weeks now, and comparing the Detech coils to the factory-supplied 8", I must say I'm very disappointed in their performance. The factory coil seems to work great - accurate pinpointing, great depth, good target response - which rules out the possibility of a defective detector. But the Detech coils have given me nothing but trouble. The 5" produces very erratic signals and pinpoints poorly - making it impossible to tell what you've got. The 18" coil is even worse; it will only pick up large coins at about 5"! Overall neither of these coils seems to perform anywhere near the distributors claims.
I'd like to hear anyone elses experiences with these coils, especially with pricier machines such as the Explorer and DFX. Where these coils simply designed for the more expensive MD's?
The distributor claims that the 18" coil, for example, can pick up silver dollars at 24"! I actually talked to the tech who did that field test, he said that was with a Minelab Explorer - so maybe that says it all.
Thanks for any advice.

Upvote 0

GarrettDealer

Apr 18, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. SE
childoftechnology said:
? I recently purchased a Minelab Musketeer, along with two Detech Excelerator coils - a 5" and an 18". After having used the machine for several weeks now, and comparing the Detech coils to the factory-supplied 8", I must say I'm very disappointed in their performance. The factory coil seems to work great - accurate pinpointing, great depth, good target response - which rules out the possibility of a defective detector. But the Detech coils have given me nothing but trouble. The 5" produces very erratic signals and pinpoints poorly - making it impossible to tell what you've got. The 18" coil is even worse; it will only pick up large coins at about 5"! Overall neither of these coils seems to perform anywhere near the distributors claims.
? I'd like to hear anyone elses experiences with these coils, especially with pricier machines such as the Explorer and DFX. Where these coils simply designed for the more expensive MD's?
? The distributor claims that the 18" coil, for example, can pick up silver dollars at 24"! I actually talked to the tech who did that field test, he said that was with a Minelab Explorer - so maybe that says it all.
? Thanks for any advice.
The aftermarket coils are for the most part a farse . The manufacturer designs their OWN coils to exacting specifications for their machines . Any time you buy an aftermarket coil there are compromises made due to the fact that they ARE NOT the engineers that built the machine and you can bet your butt that they don't have the operating buget for R&D that the manufacturer does so in the end you get a product that is under engineered and possibly not as well built as a stock item . If you want more depth and just NEED a new coil look into what the actual maker of the detector is offering in that line and you will find a better product all around . In my opinion aftermarket coils for the most part aren't even worth the sum of their materials .

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
childoftechnology said:
I recently purchased a Minelab Musketeer, along with two Detech Excelerator coils - a 5" and an 18". After having used the machine for several weeks now, and comparing the Detech coils to the factory-supplied 8", I must say I'm very disappointed in their performance. The factory coil seems to work great - accurate pinpointing, great depth, good target response - which rules out the possibility of a defective detector. But the Detech coils have given me nothing but trouble. The 5" produces very erratic signals and pinpoints poorly - making it impossible to tell what you've got. The 18" coil is even worse; it will only pick up large coins at about 5"! Overall neither of these coils seems to perform anywhere near the distributors claims.
I'd like to hear anyone elses experiences with these coils, especially with pricier machines such as the Explorer and DFX. Where these coils simply designed for the more expensive MD's?
The distributor claims that the 18" coil, for example, can pick up silver dollars at 24"! I actually talked to the tech who did that field test, he said that was with a Minelab Explorer - so maybe that says it all.
Thanks for any advice.
They have the ones for the Ace 250 they might not work that good with them? Jim

T

The.Boomer

Hmm, I'll have to do more reading on these since the consensus over at the garret forum they seem to like the ones for the aces.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The.Boomer said:
Hmm, I'll have to do more reading on these since the consensus over at the garret forum they seem to like the ones for the aces.
Boomer , They say they like them but i bet not one of them has had one on a Ace250......For you can not get one here...For a Ace250.......Jim

T

The.Boomer

You sure seem to be against them yourself yet do you have any experience with them ? At this point I'm starting to think you have an axe to grind, so we should just end this conversation here. Thanks anyway Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The.Boomer said:
You sure seem to be against them yourself yet do you have any experience with them ? At this point I'm starting to think you have an axe to grind, so we should just end this conversation here. Thanks anyway Keppy
No ax to grind just that i would like to see good reports on the one for the 250 .........Before i spring for one i have not seen one yet as a matter of fact i have not seen a good or bad report on one for the 250 .........I will wait and see how they like or dislike them before i lay any money out for one......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread