Should I dig the one way beep signals?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Alright guys. So I have a ghost town spot that I have been hunting 2 times already and I have a question. I hunt in a field that had an old theater and a dance hall that burned down but now it is just a plain old field. When going in all metal mode; I found that there was a lot of signals in the ground. Some with beeps that went both ways and when i swung my metal detector one way i head a beep and then another way I did not.

Should I dig the one way beep signals is my question.

Upvote 0

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer

Duane B

Sep 24, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Fisher CZ5
I've hunted in the all metal mode for 15 years, and to tell the truth, I can't recall a target that produced an audio signal in one direction but not another. Using discrimination, yes, but all metal, no.

When hunting in all metal make a mental note of how large and how deep you think the target is. If the target is shallow and/or large and it ID's as iron then the target probably is iron. If the target is small and/or very deep the metal could be anything, no matter where it ID's at. If the small/deep target ID's other than iron then dig it. If the small/deep target ID's as iron then you need to get a better signal from the target. Scrape some of the dirt away from the top of the target. Did the ID get better or worse? If the ID got better then dig the target. If the ID got worse the it is probably a small piece of iron. However, you will never know what the metal is for sure unless you dig it.

If you're in a plowed field and you want the very deep gold targets then you must search in all metal. Searching in low discrimination will miss the very deep/small targets.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best kind of signals are those Three-Way signals. :o ;D

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those signal may be coins on there sides .......the one way signal maybe catching the side that on the egde more .....pineout

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told that on my detector the EXP II a one way signal is right at the discrimination point. I still dig a few to keep me honnest. If I am not finding many signals I will dig almost all the one way signals. I do change directions and angles to try to get a signal. It usually does not help. I cannot remember finding a good find on a one way signal.

Ed D.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on many factors whether you'll get a good find with a non-repeatable signal...the biggest factor is which machine you're using. I have gotten some goodies with my 1266-X on non-repeatable signals.

-Buckleboy

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I didn't read all the posts here but I have discovered that different detectors and different soils will all produce different responses on deep targets

I've also noticed that if I use a detector with a surface blanker most of the top stuff is disregarded by a good detector having this (desensitizing) feature. When doing this I have also made note that a deep coin can often sound like a soft sort of faint or whispering (2-way) sound - with (certain) detectors, and at times a clear faint one-way signal with others. A cz 6 through cz 70 and cz3d produces the same volume on a deep coin that it does on a shallow coin, as long as the sensitivity is high enough. But they can be a one-way or broken or two-way signeal too.

It seems like the variables are so many that there may not be a pat formula for this oh-so-common question.

EZMoney

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havn't been doing this very long. But i have learned to dig those one way beeps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread