Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
BB, it's pretty difficult to beat the capability of a Tesoro detector.
Excellent response and recovery time, pinpointing second to none.

Best

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim I want to recall the whole XP range has fairly fast recovery speed.
Else I think you summed it up pretty good.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Jim. :)

Why corrected? I just added what you did not know I suppose. ;D

Here's a video of the GMP (GoldMaxx Power) Norfolk Wolf is doing some tests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OrLcMCCQWc

There are more videos on youtube on the XP range. :thumbsup:

The GoldMaxx operates at 18Khz and is a very popular detector in the UK why you ask?
quick recovery speed
good Iron disc. (the only disc it has except for Tone ID; 3 tones)
sensitive to tiny objects (Like hammered coins, cut quarters etc)
deep

I think that are some of the most important reasons.

PM some of our UK detectorists I bet they'll love to fill you up with more info.

I don't own a XP yet.

So I can only say what I've heard myself.

Glad you enjoy my posts. ;D

Good Hunting!
Eu

T

The.Boomer

Great machine for trashy areas with masking problems. Anyone got a price in USD, or is this machine even available here in the U.S. ? ???

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Boomer.

http://www.norfolkwolf.co.uk/qaas.php#35
Look up "Shipping abroad" --It states that only the ADX100 would be legal to use in Canada & The US. :tard:

Price for the XP GoldMaxx is about 1097 USD excluding shipping.

Hope it helps,
Eu

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Jim,

I hear very little about it for prospecting but I think it can be done.
If I recall right in works in all metal all the time, though I don't know if it is true all metal.

The machines are very sensitive from what I know but I bet that the gold and so on is to small here, would have to go to northern Sweden --then yes it could work well.

I think a GMT would be better. I'm interested in the XP's because of that many miss those tiny rings, coins etc.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good day Jim.

Iron tone simply makes that you do not hear the iron; it does not directly disc it out.

Try this Jim:

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
BamaBill said:
Besides Fisher's F75 or F70, are there any other machines that would be considered to have a fast target response, that would allow the user to better distinguish/seperate multiple targets?

I agree with rmptr about the Tesoro detectors.

As you know Bill of all the Tesoros I like the Silver uMax best. I can afford to buy whatever I like so I don't use it now simply because I'm hard up.

Lots of brands and models are good though...not just Tesoros.

Bill, as you know, there are bum machines on the market. But most in the top range are good to excellent.

A machine I love--another person might hate. It's all about finding a machine that's at least good and growing into it. They all speak a language of their own.

Many people see Tesoros are beep & dig shallow detectors. I see the Silver with that awesome 12x10 concentric coil as the deepest VLF I've ever used. Funny...the same machine but two entirely different opinions.

My last coin sized dig was better than 10+ inches deep--a small button pulled out of loads of iron trash. Supreme Tesoro target separation! :thumbsup:

Will most believe this? Nope! But a few Tesoro owners will :thumbsup:

Find your niche Bill and then work with that machine until it becomes a part of you. :wink:

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks MB, as always sage advice. I still have my Eldorado in my arsenal and in all metal that machine has better depth than even my MXT, but mostly comes in handy when I've got an established CW camp that I'm digging everything out of.

The following is what I've learned in the short time I've been detecting. I'm starting to figure out that depth is important, but its by no means the last word on a detector. When you're coinshooting through trash or relic hunting in a field of iron, its more important to have an intimate knowledge of the sounds your detector is making, as well as the possible ID its showing. A reasonably accurate depth meter is also real important (in order to not damage your find) or enough time spent with your detector to recognize the depth based on sound. This can help immensely on the decision to dig or not dig. I know some people say dig it all, but when trying to locate an activity area (such as a CW camp) in a place as big as, or bigger than a football field, digging everything will soon wear you to a frazzle and if you're not retired, you will be by the time you're done. I guess in my case I was trying to do too much with one detector and now I'm going to be setup like the proverbial golfer, one detector to tee off (find the camp) with and another to do my putting when I'm on the green (pick it clean).

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Oh I liked that XP video!

Started out with a great soundtrack...
Then that nice fellow was strolling across those pretty green fields waving his coil here and there.

Perhaps if I used that style even I might find celtics! at least Spanish gold...

But I don't have an XP... Gosh, he says it even reads ambient temperature when you turn it on.

Fabulous new machines out there, today, rejecting coke, and all...

I've done rather poorly this last week. Embarrassed to even take a pic of the digs!
I'll keep reading Tnet and maybe I can learn more.

Best

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Jim Hemmingway said:
Thanks again Eu, for another enjoyable, informative video. You've been a great help with this subject. If you look back in here, a last question is why would this unit be illegal in Canada? Has it to do with regulations regarding power output? Or whatever they call it? Thanks,

Jim.
Jim It has to do with the cordless headphones built in the detector. I did not read why, but I believe 1. it either has to do with governments bull about such items (Interference Laws) or 2. it operates on the wrong frequencies, different then those assigned here. Maybe somebody thats knows more will chime in

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
La Beep said it, though I don't know why it is not allowed with those headphones.

The power output thing could also be a part of it, I don't know for sure.

rmptr it was part of a instructional video made by Norfolk Wolf (John Lynn) the bloke is knowledgeable about teh XP machines I hear.

This thing is not meant to be a detector with wide screen, VDI's, etc. Rather more it's back to basics though it still is a very popular detector in Europe and it produces quite a lot!

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Jim, those reasons are exactly why I made the decision I did. Its never easy to give up on something when you've got so much invested ($$$), but experience has taught me that sometimes its better to cut your losses and move on.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou Ward, for pointing that out about the headphones, I had no idea. Do any of our brands have the same set-up... boy it'd be nice to be free of dangling cords in the underbrush.

Eu....thanks for everything, you are so helpful.

Well Bill, I think you've got the right idea regarding a unit for each task. Depth is not everything, a unit is no fun if you cannot rely on depth readings, or reliable performance in other areas....

As these are analog detectors (XP) the only way to tell approx depth is by the sound it makes..
(I think you know that but anyways)

I don't know any other machine with that set up for the headphones.

No problem Jim. :wink:

Good Hunting!
Eu

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
I know some people say dig it all, but when trying to locate an activity area (such as a CW camp) in a place as big as, or bigger than a football field, digging everything will soon wear you to a frazzle and if you're not retired, you will be by the time you're done.

That's why you need a 1266-X. Dig only the good signals, and don't concentrate on digging everything in an area until you hear the "chatter" of the iron patch. :wink:

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
BuckleBoy said:
BamaBill said:
I know some people say dig it all, but when trying to locate an activity area (such as a CW camp) in a place as big as, or bigger than a football field, digging everything will soon wear you to a frazzle and if you're not retired, you will be by the time you're done.

That's why you need a 1266-X. Dig only the good signals, and don't concentrate on digging everything in an area until you hear the "chatter" of the iron patch. :wink:

Thats basically how I use my cz5, I run it in 0 disc but it has 3 tones, so I just dig high tones, until I hear a lot of iron signals coming though (low tones). Now I could hunt with a higher disc but a lot of time iron will come through as a high tone when disc out, so with no disc I hear it but it is correctly id'ed as iron by the tone. I don't use the meter and use sound only.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
BamaBill said:

Buckle, I'm really beginning to believe that the only detectors for relic hunting have to have excellent audio that will allow the user to hear the fine, discrete differences in signals. I started with Tesoro machines and I just might wind up with a Tesoro. I'm going to try a Minelab Xterra 70 for a while and see just what kind of sound I can get out of it. I know enough not to trust VDI numbers and usually only look to the VDI when its hard to tell if the signal is iron or nonferrous. I like my MXT, but I suspect I've missed a few things because of ignoring some iron signals. I would settle for a well built, sound only machine that could find a bullet at 12" and was stable around EMI, and didn't weigh more than 3.5 lbs. Does the 1266-X meet that description? How long did it take you learn it to the point you start recognizing the difference between trash and a good target?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions