Been getting a "new" signal that makes me go Huh?

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Been getting a "new" signal that makes me go Huh?

I'm using my handy dandy Whites Eagle Spectrum on a site I just recently started hunting. Anywho, on more than one occasion, I get a 95+ on the VDI, registering it as a "Hot rock". Now, I've never gotten that kinda signal before, so I started digging just to see what the heck was up. I'd get down about 9 inches, and it would still be reading "Hot Rock" if anything at all.
What the heck is a "Hot rock" and so far, from my experience, it's not worth taking the time to dig as I have yet to find so much as a poptab when this signal hits. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Re: Been getting a "new" signal that makes me go Huh?

CowboyKolo said:
I'm using my handy dandy Whites Eagle Spectrum on a site I just recently started hunting. Anywho, on more than one occasion, I get a 95+ on the VDI, registering it as a "Hot rock". Now, I've never gotten that kinda signal before, so I started digging just to see what the heck was up. I'd get down about 9 inches, and it would still be reading "Hot Rock" if anything at all.
What the heck is a "Hot rock" and so far, from my experience, it's not worth taking the time to dig as I have yet to find so much as a poptab when this signal hits. Any thoughts?
To put plain and simple not scientific +95 is a miscellaneous category. It mainly represents a mineralized clump of something or an large iron item. Most people notch out +95, White's says leave it in only if you want some interesting finds, noticed I said interesting not necessarily valuable. It comes down to time over money. If you are digging +95 at that time you are not digging better target readings and possibly not making the best use with your limited time to hunt.
You have to decide.

One last comment then I am out of here, Watch the video for the XLT on Whites web site, or better yet find a older eagle video to watch. Happy Hunting and pm me if you like more information.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hot rocks are overmineralized (compared to the surrounding matrix) rocks. And as La Beep says, it's also a category that the machine puts TIDs that it can't classify. Like in funky soils, it might classify a deep silver dime or quarter up to that high. But the trick is: usually those TID hits won't hit there consistently, or won't repeat in the same spot. They might take an ocassional bounce to their correct spot (criss-cross 90* angles, trying to isolate). But if they continue to ALWAYS hit 95, and seems to wander around, null, etc... chances are, it's a true hot rock.

Another trick is to cross-check with all-metal pinpoint mode. If it is a hotrock, there will be no all-metal signal. If it was an actual target, you'll get a signal in pinpoint.

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got a plus 95 once in 10 years with my XLT, well I say once that was a good repeatable tone. It was 10 inches deep and like I said was loud and clear. It was a 1778 reale. My other plus 95 signals has been choppy so I learned to pass them up after digging tons of junk. Look at the signagraph and if it is a solid bar to the right and a decent tone get the shovel out!!!

KFB

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Hi Cowboy,

The +95 VDI, as noted above, is a category designed for the purpose of capturing those targets the unit cannot properly classify elsewhere, for whatever reasons. On occasion, with a deep target near or at the fringe of visual identification, +95 can indicate desirable targets like silver/copper coins as well as other items. At any depth, this category can also indicate iron "blood spots" (ie. disseminated oxidized {Fe+3} iron...reduced practically to iron mineralization); this is one reason why you may dig away and find no target. As an aside from the +95 question, this type of signal also may be presented as a visually erratic ID, but with a smooth two way signal that invites you to dig...for nothing.

A hot rock is an iron mineralized rock that has a different ground balance setting from the surrounding soil. A positive hot rock can also be categorized under VDI +95; a positive hot rock is an iron mineralized rock that has a lesser ground balance setting than the surrounding soil.

I suggest you leave the +95 VDI as an accepted setting for two reasons. (a) If the target is shallow, feel free to ignore it and move on. If it's a very deep target, the audio is solid and repeatable, then dig it...since it may be a desirable coin. (b) +95 is a key setting to accept if you are a coin hunter seeking deep, high conductive signals such as silver coins, since if it is an accepted discrimination VDI, it will offer better depth on such targets. This is noted and recommended in the manual as well.

One more thought. For relic/coin hunting in disturbed ground such as ploughed farm fields where target identification may not be as reliable as is experienced in undisturbed ground, for example, in parks and school grounds......to pursue that type of searching with this unit, I would dig all +95 target ID's.....regardless of target depth.

Jim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions