Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
As the link indicates, this company was founded by Paul Wilson, formerly a partner with Chuck Neuman in Wilson-Neuman Electronics, a company which operated in the 1970's and 80's, producing Daytona, Usika, and Orion brand detectors. I believe that they also did some contract work for Kellyco &/or other companies.

Back when Wilson-Neuman was operating in Delphos, Ohio, I knew Chuck quite well and often field tested prototypes and production models for him. He passed away in 1996.

I did not know Mr. Wilson, however.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had heard of this company. There are some companies that just don't advertise much anymore.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have heard of them. they used to make a machine called the "COIN SELECT". some guys really liked them. i dont know anything about how good the machines are though.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Thanks for your replies.

I do not recall seeing any advertisements for their units. Thought it was odd for a company to be in business and not do much advertising.

Ray S

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
I sent them an email to see if there still in business.

I google Wilson Electronics and they seem to be in the antenna business in Utah.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a big fan of the WN machines back in the early 80's.

I owned 4 different models and the best was the Daytona GBIII (think that's what it was called). The discrimination mode stunk but the all-metal mode was supreme. It clearly was the deepest detector in 1982 due to it's excellent ground balance in all-metal mode and coil design.

But, they didn't hold up well. I had trouble with all my models.

I have a GBII some good friend sent me last year. It like most of the old WN machines needs repair.

Wilson Neuman brand had a very cool unique design and that was a major reason for their success in the 70's to early 80's. But do to the fact they failed easily and in discrimination mode they were so shallow, people stopped buying them.

In 1984 KellyCo sold off their stock of new original Daytona GBIII's for about $80 each.

Sorry to ramble again but the GBIII gave me my first Indian head pennies. They were from about 6-9 inches deep in all-metal mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread