Do Negative Reviews Hurt Detector Sales?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been having a hard time getting the F75 out of my mind even though it probably gets even more negative rap than the Minelab Explorers.

Yet the multitude of criticisms just seem to cause me to want one more! :tard:

Anybody know what I mean? :-\

My next test machine is the Minelab XS but I almost bought a mint F75 even after reading all the negatives. ???

So what do you think--do these negative comments discourage, or in a reversed psychology way, encourage purchases?

Badger

Upvote 0

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I looked at price and read reviews of the detectors in my price range. I settled on the machine that seemed
perfect for My ability and time required to become competant using it. My limited time detecting makes My choice perfect for Me, don't have to totally relearn each time.
Do I wonder about the other Machines-- DFX & Exp's--- You betcha!! If money was no object and had more time-- i'd add each!!
I've said it before--- knowing your detector and research are still uno-numeral in My book!!

glad you are again adding to the mix MB!!!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mirage said:
You are sick if you read a well written "bad" review and it makes you want the machine more. I think what you mean to say is that you want to prove to people that they are jumping to hasty conclusions or writing an "expert" review based on little time with the machine or others.

Reviews are all relative. The best reviews I have read come from people who have really used only a few machines but have used them a lot and know them well. They review each strengths and weaknesses.

As for the F75. I have only heard reports from one person who bought one this spring - and the verdict from him is a big thumbs up. :thumbsup: I have hunted with him two or three times and his machine and his limited experience with it did better than me with my experience and Explorer.

Bob

I must be sick---I hunt the same sites over and over expecting a different result--yup, sick!

As for the F75, you're sort of right.

It's like this--I've always been a curious person and just have to see for myself.

And too, my Nautilus Team Buddy who uses the MXT---well, he's recently been testing the F75 and he absolutely loves it. It's kind of funny, he sort of works for Nautilus but has been mostly using a Whites and now may switch over to Fisher. Yup, he's sick too.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
"Do Negative Reviews Hurt Detector sales?". Probably not. I remember newbies who inquire here
about buying a "best detector" for a certain task(such as nugget hunting). After everyone pitches in
with good advice, we find out the person has later bought something entirely different( which may be a bad
choice). Sort of like telling a kid in a candy store to buy something nutritious and reasonably priced.

I also understand Badger's viewpoint. It is the Challenge of the machine. Going beyond what others can do.

Regarding reviews- well I keep a small library of reviews from folks for different machines. There aren't really
any "bad" detectors out there for the money unless you have bought a Relco Frontiersman on Ebay for $20 and think you have
found a "bargain". Time will tell and you just need to watch what the veteran hunters are moving toward to.

Regarding reviews in treasure magazines- No they don't lie but you have to read between the lines.

"Good for competitive hunts" = No problem with those pesky deep coins on competitive hunts as this machine will never see them.

"Good for the kids" = Don't let your detecting friends see you at the local park detecting with this piece of crap.

George

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
bakergeol said:
"Good for the kids" = Don't let your detecting friends see you at the local park detecting with this piece of crap.

George

Why George...you used the C word :o

You're beginning to write like the rest of us :thumbsup:

Oh, good post too :thumbsup:

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a 42+ year veteran of the hobby (41 of which I operated at various times a full time detector shop or a part time detector shop along with detector repair including warranty for major manufacturers), I read a lot of "rants" both good and bad about various detectors.
A detector that is fully operational is only as good as the operator. Some of the old timers can take that analog detector that they have swung for years and beat the socks off some of the latest state of the art detectors with so so operators.
I can fully understand some of the "rants" about detectors that cost more than $1,000 and are duds out of the box and/or need updates, repairs or other things to make them fully operational. I've had a few of those myself.
Since the concensus seems to be that only 10-15% of the detecting fraternity are also fanatics about the internet, I doubt that any reviews (good or bad) on the 'net really help or hurt a manufacturer. I believe that the reports of total lack of service or poor service after the sale can dampen sales of that detector brand considerably.
Somewhere in the thread is mention of magazine "reviews" of detectors. I've done three or two published reviews over the past 2+ decades. The author of such reviews mostly covers the features of the detector and their experiences in the field while using the detector. Having said that, I have read about a few finds at depths that I consider "stretching things" just a little in a couple of reviews. Maybe not, as I was not present when the finds were dug.
This is a good thread and I hope enough posts are made to get the real feel of many views about the subject.
HH,
Ty

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I don't mind selling out a buck or two to try a new kind of soft drink or
BAR-B QUE sauce no matter what someone write's or said about it but
when you start talking 100s of $$$$$$ then I will. If you read post
after post after post about brand X having problem's with this or that
then I think there is a very good chance that I would have it to if I
spend the same money for the same thing. I have bought DOG's befor
and may do so again but if I know in advance it's a dog then I have
no cause to whine and cry because it turn's out to be a dog like I was
informed about befor. One horse never make's a horse race but a looser
is a looser no matter what it is!

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes I'm curious about the F75 but I'll only buy used and it will have to be cheap.

I wouldn't pay over $500 for a used one and I'd have to know up front it was not one of those cold solder deals.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
I've been at this for 44 years, writing about it in the treasure mags, and field testing for 25 years. Not all reports are negative - just fact. Many negatives are by people who either couldn't figure the machine out or never actually used one and just mouth what they heard someone else say. If there are enough negatives listen up.

Bill

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Uncle Willy said:
I've been at this for 44 years, writing about it in the treasure mags, and field testing for 25 years. Not all reports are negative - just fact. Many negatives are by people who either couldn't figure the machine out or never actually used one and just mouth what they heard someone else say. If there are enough negatives listen up.

Bill

Hi Uncle Willy. I always wished I had an uncle here ;D

Your post is correct We should distinguish between negative and factual. Some reviews may not be favorable but still factual.

Remember the original Whites "Turtle?" It was a waterproof land/sea machine. Today even Whites admits it had issues ;D

I bought one back in 83 due to glowing reviews in the treasure magazines and it was a big disappointment. Depth was extremely poor and the unit didn't even come close to the reviews. This was before ebay so about 2 months later I sold it locally for about 1/5 of what I paid for it.

But, that's history and now almost everyone admits it. But I still recall those old articles on how awesome that machine is ;D

Today with the advantage of online forums it's much better if one knows how to use the info.

One thing to remember is this hobby is more psychological than anything else. Or we could say it's 40% machine and 60% mental. One machine absolutely turns somebody off but the same machine is the answer to a maiden's prayer to someone else.

A case in point is the F75. It's absolutely amazing how one little detector can be so hated and so loved at the same time. But to a lessor extent this is true also of most high end machines. Once we get past the "turn on and go" machines we get into all these big rhubarbs.

And also, like I wrote in another post elsewhere, there are those online whose private agenda is to put down the competition.

It's all fun 8)

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim Hemmingway said:
Howdy Badger,

Just recently returned from holidays, but wanted to add my two cents worth here. Your first statement is partly as follows:

"I have been having a hard time getting the F75 out of my mind even though it probably gets even more negative rap than the Minelab Explorers.

Yet the multitude of criticisms just seem to cause me to want one more!

Anybody know what I mean?

My next test machine is the Minelab XS but I almost bought a mint F75 even after reading all the negatives."

I don't imagine that "bad" reviews will enhance detector sales. On the other side of the debate, I view most of us in the metal detecting community as optimists, and therefore not as subject to adverse product reviews as the larger general population. For that reason, and others... as noted above, I also doubt there's a substantive impact.

In your instance Badger, I believe three factors may come into play when considering the F-75. First, your natural curiosity as indicated by the many units you've acquired over the years to check 'em out. 2nd, the F-75 forum posts and other reviews present quite a dichotomy of views regarding build quality, service, and performance. Some users love it, others hate it; it is not all "negative" in content. Third, well Badger, you might be nuts...not saying you are, but the possibility could be examined. :wink:

Prior to purchasing the 75, I also was preoccupied with it's potential. From the beginning, I viewed the 75 as an ideal prospecting unit that had a few disc modes thrown in and was consequently labelled as a coin hunter as well. In many areas those disc modes perform quite well, but in other urban environs, the EMI becomes a limiting factor that curtails it's depth potential in the disc modes (especially the JE mode), or even makes the unit non-functional practically. Yet, for prospecting pursuits, even under the same limiting EMI factors, the all-metal motion mode performs well even at high sens settings...no issue at all for prospecting that I can see at this time.

There's also the matter of personal tastes or preferences that come into play with respect to the diversity of views on the F-75. Personally, my preference would be for a smooth operating unit, not subject to chatter and so on, for coin hunting environs. It would not be my choice, for example, to take a highly sensitive prospecting unit like the Gold Bug 2, or the GMT, or the F-75 and run it at anything but moderate or lower sens levels in many of our trashy coin hunting areas. Such units, under those conditions at higher sens levels, responding to every tiny bit of debris....would drive me nuts. However, some users do just that with these types of units, and are highly successful; others are not happy with the F-75 results, as we've all witnessed on the various forums. Plus, in this or any example, we must always keep in mind the F-75 is very susceptible to the EMI instability, in addition to it's inherent sensitivity.

Thrown into the mix are the various performance issues related to faulty manufacturing and quality control. Considering the variables involved with selecting such a controversial unit, the potential coin hunting purchaser absolutely must try it out under typical coin hunting conditions prior to purchasing the unit, and with a knowledgeable dealer (or someone who is knowledgeable with the unit) in tow. Hopefully this will ensure the unit is (a)operating properly, and (b) will inform the buyer of what may be expected operating this unit under said conditions, if he does in fact proceed to buy it.

On that note Badger, I will depart your thread. BTW, if you can wait until November, I'll be happy to courier my unit over to your front door and you can have it until next May to check it out. Save you some money, and you'll know at least that this unit does indeed work properly. :)

Jim.

As always, great post Jim!

I agree completely with everthing especially the part about being nuts. I'd sure hate to think everything I do is the result of rational thought.

If they get the F75 build quality issues worked out they'll have a great relic/prospecting machine. I know there are some Civil War relic hunters who really like it.

In some ways all the really "deep" machines suffer from the same malady. To achieve great depth they must be made very sensitive. But unfortunately the more sensitive the machine the more susceptible it is to interference. All the really deep seeking machines made today are this way.

To make a "deep" machine work in a high interference area one must adjust it down in power (manually or automatically) to achieve a stable and potentially productive detector. But this adjusting down may render the "deep" machine no better than a "shallow" machine would be in that area.

With a "deep" detector one learns the value of the smaller coil. A small coil tends to be less affected by interference and ground masking.

A "deep" machine fitted with a small coil could be deeper at a high trash site than a "shallow" machine fitted with a large coil would be at a low trash site.

Jim I think we have it wrong when it comes to hunting high trash sites. We tend to think ground coverage and depth but I've come to learn that at high trash sites one can't have both. One will either have coverage or depth. Lots of power and coverage means lots of masking at high trash sites and therefore mostly "shallow" finds. Lots of power with a smaller area of ground coverage means "deeper" finds due to less masking and outside interference (powerlines, etc.).

I think the best detectors made today are those with extreme sensitivity (power or depth) potential that have lots of quality coil options available.

Badger

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a new detector comes to the market, you are going to get good and bad reviews. Check various websites, get their opinions, and always check what type of warranty it comes with. I've stuck with Whites, they might not always be the very best detectors, (though I've never had a complaint), and their repair service has been outstanding.
CurbdiggerCarl

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
curbdiggercarl57 said:
When a new detector comes to the market, you are going to get good and bad reviews. Check various websites, get their opinions, and always check what type of warranty it comes with. I've stuck with Whites, they might not always be the very best detectors, (though I've never had a complaint), and their repair service has been outstanding.
CurbdiggerCarl

Yes, warranty is always a major issue.

If a company doesn't stand behind their machines you're not much better off than buying a Chinese unit.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Badger,
What can I say? I looked at all the reviews, read and read, listened and listened. Still tried out the quattro, and then bought it.
It gets alot of bad press, mostly from people that don't take the time to learn it. I love it. It goes deep, and with a small coil I get great target seperation and depth.

I read Andy Sabich's book, several times. I am a firm believer that the best detector is the one you know better than your wife.
At the same time I figure I want to learn to use a machine that will reach down and find the things I want to find. Why take the time to learn to use a machine that just doesn't have the capability to get down deep and give you a good idea what you are looking at?

Just my two wheaties.

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread