Big item in hole, not enough dirt?

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
yeah this happens, like cast iron parts for stoves, the good thing is that this is in the middle of the woods, and do the best i can, the main thing is to tapper the edges so its a dip in the ground and not a hole

T

The.Boomer

That's where the bodies come in. They make a nifty fill material and they're oh so plentiful. Just come MDing with me and I'll show you ! >:D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
You have two REASONABLE options:

If you are in the "woods" then it shouldn't really matter - you can leave a slight depression or even smooth it out.

If you are in a city park - leave the big object in the ground.

Only other option is to have a bucket of dirt in the car, go back to the car and fill in the depression.

8)

S

stefen

mastereagle22 said:
So if so what do you do?

I mean I commonly find huge iron objects that I pull out and then there isn't enough dirt to fill back in the hole.

What do you do in that case?

Any tips or pointers?

Well, if its an engine block, I'd toss it back in the hole and cover it up.

Option No. 2 is to look around and if nobody is looking, beat the hell out of there.

Scrounge around for some spare dirt or rocks to use in the backfill. (Pull-tabs would work as well) And if that doesn't work...refer to Option No. 2. ;D

T

The.Boomer

Nuthin but comedians here, The truth ME, is that you simply scrape the top couple inches from surrounding ground to use as fill. :wink:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
mastereagle22 said:
So if so what do you do?

I mean I commonly find huge iron objects that I pull out and then there isn't enough dirt to fill back in the hole.

What do you do in that case?

Any tips or pointers?

Really want to read my tip? Go and hunt the beach! :D
Should be enough dirt there to fill in most of your holes!

To try to be serious I'd take some of the surrounding dirt of the hole. (aka the "walls")
I hope that makes sense I can't find a good word right now.

Then stomp on it to see if it is stable and does not fall together.

Good Hunting!
Eu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread