Unmasking

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I need an informed opinion on the effectiveness of two different kinds of coils. In moderate trash (not heavy) would the 10.5" DD coil be more prone to masking or would the 9" concentric? This is assuming the usual scanning from different angles as you cover an area. I know that a much smaller DD coil is excellent for this, but for relic hunting I need to know which would be the best combination of depth and seperation.

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the 10.5" DD on my XT70, does a very good job at separating trash even when it is close together but a smaller coil in trashy areas would be better. HH, Mike

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I needed to know.

XT18000

May 26, 2008
Why not grid a ten foot area and go over it with the small coil first from three directions
then with the larger coil and see how much you missed the first time? That should tell
you how good one it over the other.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great idea and it kills two birds with one stone, since I'll do it at one of the sites I'm going to be hunting this fall. Maybe I'll even accomplish one of my goals for this hunting season (at least one signifcant CW find and two 19th century coins). I'll document my results and then report them to couple of the forums I visit.

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions