Need advice: That all-important second visit

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hello,

Yesterday I pulled two wheaties and a silver quarter from a lawn. Obviously I was encouraged and decided to go over that grass again and again. Not finding anything else, I gave up for the day, but thought I would return soon. The question is, is there anything I should do differently on the second visit than I did on the first?

Specifically, I use a White's XLT on the Coin and Jewelry setting with both the AC and DC sensitivities pushed up somewhat. I was thinking that perhaps on the second visit, I might try the "relic" mode (since I think I got most of the bottle caps and trash out of there yesterday). Is this a wise strategy? Does anyone have any other approaches in mind that seem to work well? Would the "prospecting" mode be worth a try?

Do any of you XLT users who use the "relics" mode have any advice?

Obviously it's possible I got the only three older coins that were in the yard, but my instincts tell me that if there was a cent from 1918 and a quarter from 1954, I should believe that there is probably more.

So--bottom line--when I go back, should I change anything at all to improve my chances, or just use what worked the first time?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
XT18000,

Thanks for the link--Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I read it, I get the idea that I should accept all metals and clean out whatever shows up. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much time I'll have, and don't want to wear out my welcome there, but I can at least do some experimenting.

Thanks again,

Mike

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be my opinion that you have not hunted it out. Concentrate on where the other coins must be. My favorite starter spots are from the back porch to the car/truck. Under the big tree in the front yard, or where it would have been. If the home has a crawl space underneath, like in the south, at the crawl space entrance and just inside the entrance. Or under where the clothesline was. Go get 'em! TTC

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Second hunt report:

Well, only one deep silver coin on the second hunt--a 1944 D war nickel. However, it was a real revelation to see how many coins showed up in the "relics" mode that I had not detected the first time around.

Not sure if I can go back again, but I bet there are coins there that I didn't find the first two times!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread