In Search of a Descent Probe?

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
After about 2 weeks of the Automax that I puchased at the cost of shipping it is no more. From getting it to turn on, to getting it to work after it turned on I had nothing but problems. >:( But now since it does not work at all I guess the problems are over other than shipping it back and getting a refund or putting the refund toward a good probe. Can I hear from some of you folks out there about your probes, your results with these probes and cost. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites Bullseye and just barely satisfied with it. It beats feeling in the dirt for lost coins but doesn't get but about maybe 1/2 inch. I read a review on here not long ago about a new one that Garrett has come out with that I might try. I haven't even seen it advertised yet on their site.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.P. Northwoods said:
After about 2 weeks of the Automax that I puchased at the cost of shipping it is no more. From getting it to turn on, to getting it to work after it turned on I had nothing but problems. >:( But now since it does not work at all I guess the problems are over other than shipping it back and getting a refund or putting the refund toward a good probe. Can I hear from some of you folks out there about your probes, your results with these probes and cost. Really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

If your machine will take one, and you have the bucks for one...
The Sunray Probes are by far the industry standard to beat...
I have one and would not trade it for one of those others for anything...
My partner got one yesterday and now does not know why he put up with his old one as long as he has...

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Check out the Harbor Freight site or store. They sell a Cen Tech brand detector that is hand held and very similar to the White's Bullseye, only a bit more sensitive. Iy comes with a belt holster and can be bought for less than $20.00.

Mike

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Sunray inline probe. You'll never look back. A bit pricey, but worth EVERY PENNY. I won't buy another detector that I can't get a Sunray probe for, I swear by it THAT much.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say the best one out there is ...pocket uniprob by detector pro... www.detectorpro.com ..........that new Garrett probe comes out this month as soon as they come out i am going to try one of them also i hear they are a solid prob................Jim

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PMike said:
Check out the Harbor Freight site or store. They sell a Cen Tech brand detector that is hand held and very similar to the White's Bullseye, only a bit more sensitive. Iy comes with a belt holster and can be bought for less than $20.00.

Mike

That is the one I have, for $15. It does what I thought a pointer should do. I don't know what a high dollar pointer could do any different. Good luck in your search, but for $15 can you pass giving it a try?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.P. Northwoods said:
I don't think Sunray has anything compatable for a Whites? :icon_scratch:

WHAT ????

dl_mooney

Jun 26, 2008
I run a VibraProbe 570 its the latest one out check around in the Net.I got mine for about $130,Would say goes down about 2-3 inches.No on or off switches,to turn it on you hold it uprighr for a short time. It shuts off after about a minute with no activity,Runs on 9 volt battery (that comes with it). Year warrenty. dl_mooney BH Time Ranger,Lesche Digger.& VP570

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
U.P. Northwoods said:
I don't think Sunray has anything compatable for a Whites? :icon_scratch:

WHAT ????

I have a DFX and my friend just bought one for his XLT...
I think that their first ones were for Whites.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ever find a good one let me know.

I bought one from Upstate detectors called a "Sherlock" or something like that. It was a piece of junk.

They wouldn't refund my money but only gave me the address of the company so I could return it.

I returned it and never heard from them.

I lost like $50.

I'd never buy anything from them again.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a sunray for quite a time and at first I didn't like it much. That's when I discovered that it is sensitive all along the barrel and not just the tip. I was geting signals fro the sides of the dig and not realizing it. It is pricey, that's the only drawback I can see. Mine will find metal at about 3" if the conditions are just right. Monty

OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Thanks so much for all your help guys. I was told otherwise as far as a Sunray model fitting my M6. Now I know and was the main reason I was not looking at them. I am more than willing to put out the sheckles if it will work. Now who to go through?

OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
You betcha I did O Rightous one! I saw they do now stock them for the M6. So I think I"m going to pull the trigger and buy one. :thumbsup: Can you point me ain a direction?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I like the Detector Pro Pocket Uni. Had the Sun Ray probes but since i have multiple machines I found the Uni was the way to go. Also cuts down on the weight since it is not mounted on the machine. It will also detect twice as deep as anything currently out there :thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Vibraprobe 570, waterproof, easy to use and gets about 2-3" depth, standalone so you can use it with any detector, also have two 560s. Avoid the 560 as it only gets about 3/4" and can be frustrating when you hit a target. HH, Mike

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
erikk said:
I like the Detector Pro Pocket Uni. Had the Sun Ray probes but since i have multiple machines I found the Uni was the way to go. Also cuts down on the weight since it is not mounted on the machine. It will also detect twice as deep as anything currently out there :thumbsup:
You got that one right.....................Jim

OP
OP
U.P. Northwoods

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Again, really appreciate everyones advice. Especially Nicks sense of humor :thumbsup: I will be going with the DX-1. I have contacted a dealer about one (sorry Nick) ;D. I probably won't add another detector to the arsenal at least for another year and if I have to buy another probe well, I'll have to buy another probe.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
I just traded for a CZ-3D and it came with an Invader FZ-1 probe, this probe is awesome. I love just flipping the toggle to pinpoint without removing my headphones. I also have 2 of those cen- tech pinpointers and for the money they are really good, if you're short on cash and want a decent pinpointer I recommend this one. The SunRay probes are expensive but hard to beat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread