Hunting in a flood town

Staci (Fargo ND)

Aug 29, 2006
Fargo, ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been living in Fargo for the last 3-4 years now, and MDing here the last 2-3. I haven't found a whole lot, and know it has a lot to do with the river. We flood just about every year and have had bad floods throughout the years, with the water covering entire parts of the city. My question is: should I quit hunting in town because the top two feet of dirt is from the flood?? I'm not sure how it all works, but I would guess that the flooding would wash dirt over the natural ground and would at least fill the low spots. Should I try finding places that are higher up than the surrounding area?

???

Upvote 0

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I hunt by the Ninnescah river by Wichita, it floods every year. this year it was 14 ft above normal. Unless you're hunting next to the main channel, you shouldn't have too much trouble.
sediment will settle out, but unless it was a low area to start with, it shouldn't have more than an inch or two covering it.
I would keep hunting it. check on the downside of rocks and trees, things have a tendency to slip into slack areas of water where the current is sluggish
good luck

Sniffer

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Fargo is a decent sized city of approx. 100,000 so I'd look to old grounds heavily used that weren't subject to heavy flooding action (silt buildup).

If the really old (heavily used) grounds are in the flood areas I'd work around trees and other more raised structures that might tend to wash silt away.

If they do any bulldozing you'd want to check those spots.

The really bad things about flood areas is the water drives coins deeper (usually) and corrodes things like lake finds.

But I'd find those earliest spots where people gathered and work them.

You got to love that Red River :thumbsup:

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions