What is the best metal detector (all around machine)?

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
littletwig said:
I think you need to look real seriously at the Whites DFX, MXT or M6.

I don't think you can't call them an "all around detector" since you can't get any of those wet which leaves out water and shallow surf hunting.....The majority of my good jewelry finds at the beach have been in the water knee to chest deep...... My primary water detector now is a Minelab Sovereign GT that has been waterproofed. I am very happy with the Sovereign GT both on land and in the water, but it has to be customized to be used in the water.....

I have land detectors, water detectors, and a competition detector.
Treasure Hunter...IS RIGHT...there is no good all around detector..........And like ...Sandman ....Said here we go again.........

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
So just how deep do you minelab guys find your stuff? The best I've found so far was a dime at around 12" deep that was placed there vertically on its side. That was my with GTI 2500. Then I found 3 more in the vicinity.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2 cents

I can't speak for Fisher, Garrett or Tosoro's top dog, but I can for Minelabs and Whites.

The DFX vs the Explorer. A very long running debate to be sure. That in itself should tell you both are worth the salt. The short answer is that the Explorer stands out in deep silver finds while the DFX is the better gold detector. My personal opinion is that the DFX is simpler to understand and use, indisputably lighter, faster responding and has a more accurate ID'ing system. Both can be adjusted to give the best performance in any condition, on land.

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Sandman said:
Here we go again.......There are to many variables to consider which detector as no one detector does it all and that is why many of us either specialize in one type of hunting or we buy a lot of different machines to meet the type hunt. (something is wrong this that sentence structure, but I am to lazy to fix it.)

I know that statement was made some time ago, but the writer in me dictates that I must comment on it. Sandman, sometimes I toy with run on sentences just to see how far I can make them go without the use of a comma or semicolon, or even a hyphen. Run on sentences show character, and from what I've seen from my short time here, you are a character my friend. :icon_jokercolor:

As for the best all around detector, I thought that was the Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505? Or at least, that's what Bounty Hunter told me before I ordered mine. ;D

I just got my detector yesterday, so I'm looking forward to my first hunt, and my first find! :thumbsup:

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
There is no such thing as the "best detector" - only the one that is best for you in the areas you hunt. What might be great for someone else could prove to be lousy for you. Detecting is 90% operator and 10% machine so your particular style and expertise figures into the equation also.

If you have a 250 now it is equal to many higher priced machines and you won't notice any miraculous results by trading up, just more bells and whistles - unless you feel you require all metal in which case you will notice different results.

Bill

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Dex i am in MASS also if your dirt is like mine [mild ] most detectors will work.
I have land and water machines. If you go in wet sand [salt] many detectors have trouble .
If you go knee deep or deeper go water proof because the salt or a wave and your done.
My backup machine and a true all around-er is my CZ 70 PRO used for around 400.00
Deep as most. Easy to use . No EMI trouble , can go right under power lines .
Works great in wet sand . Best of all its rain proof [Not water proof ]
I will be down your way when training camp starts . HH Mike

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Had a Garrett GTAx1000 for 11 years. Just bought a Minelab Explorer SE.
The GTA doesn't even compare to the Explorer. I spent several hours one day in a test garden when I got the SE. Hunted twice so far with it and had my best day ever yesterday.
I posted my finds with pics this morning in the Today's Finds forum.
GTAx1000 = Chevette
Explorer SE = Corvette

I'll answer this question with an old Chinese saying....It's not the size of the weapon, but the fury of the assault! Anyone who has been here for awhile, will know what Sandman means when he says "Here we go again" I will answer the same as I always have, You don't need a big, flashy machine. As long as it has good depth and sensitivity, you don't need any bells and whistles. All of those who have machines that double mine in price that I have hunted with, I have out-performed. Like it was said earlier, A metal detector is an extension of yourself. It's performance all depends on the user. Everyone has to ride out that learning curve. Quite often someone finally learns their machine and then they upgrade and have to start all over again. I will never recommend any brand or model to you (although I would like to say get a machine like mine!) I will only recommend that you find a machine that you like using and STICK WITH IT! Learn it, breathe it, and be it. I have been using the same machine for 15 years (out of 23 years) and have no plans to "Upgrade." Am I successful? Hell ya! :thumbsup:
Good luck!
Dave.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it has good depth and sensitivity, you don't need any bells and whistles. All of those who have machines that double mine in price that I have hunted with, I have out-performed. Like it was said earlier, A metal detector is an extension of yourself. It's performance all depends on the user.

Not entirely true. Good depth and sensitivity CAN be improved with these so called "bells and Whistles." Experience will account for success more than the detector itself. IF you have been "using the same machine for 15 years" and you are comparing your detector to someone who has not had theirs as long, you haven't learned much. Put that 15 year old detector up against someone with the same experience on a high end machine, and I think you'll find why "bells and whistles" make a difference.

Yes performance depends often depends on the user, but given 2 users with the same experience, and the better detector WILL rise to the top.

Digger said:
As long as it has good depth and sensitivity, you don't need any bells and whistles. All of those who have machines that double mine in price that I have hunted with, I have out-performed. Like it was said earlier, A metal detector is an extension of yourself. It's performance all depends on the user.

Not entirely true. Good depth and sensitivity CAN be improved with these so called "bells and Whistles." Experience will account for success more than the detector itself. IF you have been "using the same machine for 15 years" and you are comparing your detector to someone who has not had theirs as long, you haven't learned much. Put that 15 year old detector up against someone with the same experience on a high end machine, and I think you'll find why "bells and whistles" make a difference.

Yes performance depends often depends on the user, but given 2 users with the same experience, and the better detector WILL rise to the top.

No actually, I am not comparing myself to inexperienced users. I'm talking about 2 XLT guys with 10 years logged on, a five year user of a DFX, a five year user of a high end "talking" Garrett, and a 8 year user of an Explorer. All of which have been detecting since the 70's and have used several different machines. Experience means nothing if you do not know the machine you are using! Bells and whistles often confuse newbies and experienced users focus too much on the extra's and often loose their ability to listen to the signals or become complacent towards digging because of target ID"s. I do not have problems with mineralization out here, so that would be something to consider for other people living somewhere else.
Digger, if you are challenging me to a head to head competition, I'll be your huckleberry. ;D
Dave.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I once knew a man named Trahn. He bought a Compass detector and a Tesoro Silver Sabre. He detected every day of the week but only used the Compass. Nearly every day he would walk into my friend's detector sales shop with at least one decent ring and a pocket full of change. Some days he found 3 or 4 gold rings and that many silver rings, bracelets, and a fine wire necklace or two too. He always found a lot of really nice stuff.

Finally since Trahn was so successful at detecting my old friend (age 80) finally asked the big question;

"Where do you hunt, and what setting do you use on discrimination"?

"Where, he said"? "Well, I hunt everywhere, and I only use all-metal". "I dig a lot of stuff - but it's never deeper than 5 inches".

NOTE: Beware of the man who hunts with only one gun. He knows how to use it.

LL

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
dex378 said:
bscofield6 said:
If you want the deep, old coins then the explorer is for you. I don't dig any gold with mine, though. But that is because I am only going for the deep silver coins. Digging lots of trash for the occasional gold ring doesn't interest me. It also works beautifully at the beach and you can go into the water with it, just not super deep. The wet sand doesn't faze it like it does many other land machines.

But, when I am at the beach I use a minelab excalibur.

So your combo of the excaliber/explorer works pretty good for you ? All for under $2400?

I got a great deal on a brand new E-trac from the Florida company that sells detectors and then got a great deal on a used Excalibur 800 that I tricked out with a straight shaft, Gray Ghost headphones, new NIMH battery packs and am upgrading to a slightly larger coil.

It is the best of all worlds. I have a primo land machine in the E-trac and the best water machine for under $750.00. I can cover it all and then some. I can use the Excalibur as a back up and still have a fantastic land machine that just happens to be a great water machine. I don't need anything more except for maybe a PI machine for certain circumstances.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
experienced users focus too much on the extras and often loose their ability to listen to the signals or become complacent toward digging because of target ID"s.

I'll agree with all except this line. Any experienced user, worth their salt, is not going to be mislead by target ID. In fact, I'd suggest that experience is what separates those who use target ID as a crutch, and those who don't.

Digger, if you are challenging me to a head to head competition, I'll be your huckleberry.

LOL. Well if you even happen to make it to Dodge City Kansas, or anyone for that fact, I'd love to see how well you can do in our 125 year old city park. I know there are coins left to be had at very deep depths. The park has seen a major flood every 30 years since it's establishment in 1883. Some areas are covered with as deep as 24" of soil from those floods. I have hunted it for the last 20 years with every detector I could get my hands on looking for that deep stuff. My Eagle Spectrum was good for the first 8-9" and my DFX has gotten down to 10-12". My Explorer SE did no better than my DFX.

The value of "bells & whistles" depends greatly on the users understanding of when and how to use them. That doesn't make them worthless except to the person who feels they are worthless. I can say for a fact the extra features on my DFX has gotten me more goodies.

I'm looking closely at both the E-Trac and Spectra V3 in hopes they can bring life back to the city park. At this point I'm kind of leaning toward the E-Trac, but a lack of gold finds has me a bit Leary. Gold doesn't seem to be a problem for the V3.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
dex378 said:
So, what are the pros using? What is the best all around metal detector? I have been using my ace 250 and enjoy this hobby very much. I want to upgrade right to the top, why wait! I will be doing the usual , some fields, some beach etc.... Thanks in advance ....

Answer me this ... what is the best all around wood working tool?

What is the best all around golf club?

What is the best all around fishing rod and reel?

What is the best all around motorcycle?

Getting the picture yet?

What is the best all around computer?

What is the best all around lawnmower?

I think you got it by now!

CAPK

Oct 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I know it's been a while since you replied to this post, but what metal detector do you use?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I know it's been a while since you replied to this post, but what metal detector do you use?
If you click on his name it shows detectors he uses...

Thread is 5 years old..

Beeping_Rich

Jun 25, 2014
Green Cove Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Fingers, waiting for my BH Tracker IV to come in....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and my buddy Kric are going to start with the bounty hunter tracker 4. Shhhh buying from Walmart if it does not work as well as we hope they have a great 90 day full money back return policy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread