What is the best metal detector (all around machine)?

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Upvote 0

CptJbud

Greenie
Jan 3, 2013
North Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand this might be a stretch.. I was a flight instructor for 25 or so yrs. I will tell you that the absolute worst/toughest to get through to students were the ones who thought the tech could make them better pilots. It got to be unbearable over the last few years. We're talking stepping from basic nav and gps to flat panel all digital virtual instrumentation. It got to be bangmyheadagainstthewall frustrating to try and instill the knowledge required to appreciate those crutches and easy outs. How do you expect a student to appreciate the need to calculate time/spd/distance when his iphone will do all that for him? You can argue all you want about dead batteries, satellite coverage shortcomings, etc. Nowadays, this generation doesn't care. It should be done for them... How about rising above your 250 to the next logical learning block that will increase your overall appreciation and knowledge of this 'hobby' and enjoying the journey as you grow? Sure, I would have loved to jump from my first dodge dart swinger into a 911, but I never would have gained the education and experience that actually made me a decent driver...

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not read all of the responses but I'd say the best thing you could do is buy an at pro then a deus and a ctx carry all three wherever you go

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I must object strongly if you get a Minelab Excalibur put about $500 aside for when the sheeting on all the cables falls off and the company will not stand behind it and they have even admitted the problem or the cables so spend $1,300 on a piece of junk because minelab does not care about their warranties if you want a good detector with a good warranty go to Whites I have used Whites for decades and never had a problem but one time and they fixed it promptly thank you very much

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must object strongly if you get a Minelab Excalibur put about $500 aside for when the sheeting on all the cables falls off and the company will not stand behind it and they have even admitted the problem or the cables so spend $1,300 on a piece of junk because minelab does not care about their warranties if you want a good detector with a good warranty go to Whites I have used Whites for decades and never had a problem but one time and they fixed it promptly thank you very much

Cables is covered under warranty, I had to send my Whites BH ID in 4 times for leaking.... I also own 3 exals, 2 the old excal 1000 at least 15 years old and one excal II and none have had to have the cables changed, but I am very good at washing my water detectors in hot water when I get home and I spray cables with silicone ever month.

I owned Whites Beach Hunter ID, had to send it in under warranty 4 times for leaking. I will take a Minelab excal over Whites any day. Excals can't be beat on salt beaches, followed closely by the CTX 3030

November 9, 2016 A New Future

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If you are a coinshooter, go with a minelab. Since i bought my etrac, my silver finds have went up dramatically. It just finds silver better than any detector I have ever used. If you like jewelry, from my experience the whites machines are better at finding gold jewelry. Anything silver, the win goes to minelab in my book. All high end detectors are good otherwise they wouldn't be in business and people wouldn't be so loyal to them and get offended when you say your machine is better than theirs lol. But my experience is what I mentioned above, and anybody that has taken the time to learn the minelab swear by them for silver. Good luck to you in your search...

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

rvosburg

Apr 27, 2010
Lakeland La.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 coil, 6X10 DD Eclipse
Whites DFX

I think you need to look real seriously at the Whites DFX, MXT or M6. For simple coin /jewelery relic and beach hunting the M6 IMHO is the best detector for the money on the market today. If you plan on doing some additional prospecting you should look into the MXT. If you want to dish out the money and get a machine that will do it all as well as any other machine on the market look at the DFX. It's only limitation is the skill of the operator to program it and get the most out of it. :thumbsup:

I have been having a Whites DFX for years and love it, awesome machine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread