Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past I have hunted at 4 of the WW I training camps here in the Southeast, Hancock in Augusta Ga., Wheeler in Macon Ga., and Wadsworth? in Greenville SC. Hancock was the best as it was not used again after 1918, hence the newest coins you would find were 1918 dated, and coins stretching by date back to the civil war, though these were very worn, the remains of Hancock are infested with rattlers, and had a bad pack of ferrel dogs running around the woods. The National Guard troops trained here were sheltered in tents, 30,000 men on sandy soil. Wheeler had some WW I dated coinage, but was used in WW II, and Korea, with more being found from those eras. The coins were slow coming at Greenville, but held promise of being a glory hole if you got onto the right spot. Doraville Ga has mostly been swallowed by Atlanta's growth. These Divisional camps were scattered all over the U.S. Anybody done any digging in any of the others? I'd like to do Hancock a few more times, but because of the snakes, I'll wait on colder weather. Anybody interested in digging with me this winter? I've got maps I obtained from the National Archives - copies of the original camp layouts, and have already scouted out some good spots. I couldn't dig it all if I spent the rest of my life there.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread