Fast recovery rate?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
that all depends on the machine and what setting you have it set for. Some like the DFX, have an adjustable rate

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I was kinda hoping someone had a website that had this information already on it.

Mainly looking at Tesoro's and White's.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i think the fastest are the t-2 and f-75, the whites 2 filters had excellant seperation as well with a slower sweep speed, dont have exp. with the tesoro's

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I'll get laughed at but actually the Explorer set on FAST is fast enough for any trash area.

I've used some of the fastest machines made and when it comes to trashy areas they all require ultra slow hunting or else you're just not going to hear the sounds of masked goodies.

A little slower machine is usually slower because it takes more time to analyze the target. Fast machines take less time and are usually less accurate.

Tesoros are fast and to find the deep old coins I had to hunt at a snail's pace.

If one has speed and depth with great accuracy, then one has the best machine. But accuracy means more that just target ID ability, it also means target separation (ability to separate from nearby trash). A machine must be able to accurately separate targets. If it can't ascertain the subtle differences between detected objects it will give misleading readings.

This is what separates the old machines from those of modern advanced technology. However, advanced technology requires a knowledgeable opporator.

Someone who can fly a Piper Cub may not do well flying the F-22. Both have the potential to get one from point A to point B. One of the two does it a lot faster and is able to do a heck of a lot more in the process.

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger is right on this as always. The use of a smaller sniper coil helps even the detectors you think are slow.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The XP's in Europe have very fast recovery speed, but I have heard you can't get them in the US.

Every other machine has been named that I know of.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets say you have pull tabs notched out on a newer machine (name brand X) and there's a coin and pull tab 3" apart both at the same depth, will the pull tab still mask the coin?

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
19Blockhead64 said:
Lets say you have pull tabs notched out on a newer machine (name brand X) and there's a coin and pull tab 3" apart both at the same depth, will the pull tab still mask the coin?

That depends on the recovery speed...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
19Blockhead64 said:

Not on most detectors with 10 inch or smaller coils.

Now, put a large heavy square nail 3 inches from a coin and probably only those using small coils will "see it."

Recovery speed isn't as important as coil size. It's important, just not AS important.

I like Minelabs but some people preach like they're iron X-Ray machines which is pure bunk.

All metal detectors are subject to masking if the coil is too much saturated with an iron signal.

When iron bounces back a bigger stronger signal than nearby nonferrous metal you may still hear a signal from the nonferrous object due to discrimination but only those who have mastered their detectors recognize it as a good target.

Most will just walk away thinking broken signal from junk. That's the main reason our parks still hold old coins today. The oldest and best are still there but only the masters will find them.

Many THers are making two big mistakes today:

1. Too much power for high trash sites (unstable detector)
2. Too large of a coil for high trash sites (extreme masking)

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Michigan Badger,
The reason I asked the question is to find out what machine will work best in my area. I guess I have the best machines for my area, but just have to learn to operate them better?
My situation is this...... I hunt alot of old house places. Square nails litter the grounds and no matter what I do I can't seem to get away from digging them. I have never dug a square nail and found anything under it or close enough to affect the machine. I know there is alot of good stuff in these sites because I have found several nice items and I know there is plenty more there. Other than iron trash the ground is really stable.
Maybe I just need to slow down and quit trying to rush the learning curve?

Also, thanks for the help everyone that replied.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
SwampHunter said:
Michigan Badger,
The reason I asked the question is to find out what machine will work best in my area. I guess I have the best machines for my area, but just have to learn to operate them better?
My situation is this...... I hunt alot of old house places. Square nails litter the grounds and no matter what I do I can't seem to get away from digging them. I have never dug a square nail and found anything under it or close enough to affect the machine. I know there is alot of good stuff in these sites because I have found several nice items and I know there is plenty more there. Other than iron trash the ground is really stable.

It sounds like you have the right idea.

It also sounds like your hunting that site with a Tesoro. Don't get me wrong--I'm a Tesoro lover too--but like all machines Tesoros have their hangups and iron is it. Tesoros love iron. Now, this isn't all bad. There are times when this pays off big. Just not in your case this time.

You won't like this but here it goes---you need a Minelab machine for that spot. Minelab like all brands has its hangups but this isn't one of them--Minelabs hate iron. All the way from the X70-GT-Explorers--you can't beat a Minelab when it comes to dealing with nail city.

With my Tesoros I averaged at least a nail or similar iron trash about every 10 minutes. With the Sovereign GT and now Explorer the only nails I dig just happen to be in the hole with the find.

I don't know how they do it but they rarely see nails and yet pick off the coins nearby.

Right now I don't know of another brand that can do this.

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Badger, as usual your posts are filled with experience and in depth knowledge of the subject at hand. I have been following your posts and responses for some time and I am always impressed with your approach to the questions.......which leads to my purpose for this post.
I know you have been using quite a variety of machines and doing a great job of reporting each machines likes, dislikes, pros, cons and the rest. My question is this, have you ever used a White's upper end machine? The reason I ask is I think the recovery speed thing is something I still need to master with my DFX and even after reading Jeff Foster's book and fiddlin' with the settings, I'm not sure I'm on the right track.
Was just looking for an informed opinion for my machine if you had one.

Keep postin' and I'll keep readin'

Dave

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
DKinPA said:
Badger, as usual your posts are filled with experience and in depth knowledge of the subject at hand. I have been following your posts and responses for some time and I am always impressed with your approach to the questions.......which leads to my purpose for this post.
I know you have been using quite a variety of machines and doing a great job of reporting each machines likes, dislikes, pros, cons and the rest. My question is this, have you ever used a White's upper end machine? The reason I ask is I think the recovery speed thing is something I still need to master with my DFX and even after reading Jeff Foster's book and fiddlin' with the settings, I'm not sure I'm on the right track.
Was just looking for an informed opinion for my machine if you had one.

Keep postin' and I'll keep readin'

Dave

Thanks much Dave!

The DFX is one of the greatest detectors ever made. I guess it's sort of like everybody knows this already so we just spend the bulk of our time bragging up those that aren't always so well known.

The DFX and MXT are hallmarks of the hobby. But, they're not toys and there's a learning period especially with the DFX.

I've owned many Whites and in fact my very first detector was a Whites CoinMaster IV back in 1968. I found 100's of coins with that dandy. I found my first silver quarter with it too.

Lately though it's mostly my friends who have been buying Whites. I guess I used them for so m any years I just wanted to try something different.

I don't know the DFX well but the MXT with 12 inch coil is unpassed. In fact, the MXT probably has the best target ID meter in the business today. But again, it has to be learned.

Probably the majority here use Whites. They don't say much because really they don't have to. They know what they're finding and they're happy.

I watch "Today's Finds" here and the other versions on the other forums and Whites is not only there but usually the majority.

Really all the top major brands are great today. This is a very good thing :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Michigan Badger said:
SwampHunter said:
Michigan Badger,

It sounds like you have the right idea.

It also sounds like your hunting that site with a Tesoro. Don't get me wrong--I'm a Tesoro lover too--but like all machines Tesoros have their hangups and iron is it. Tesoros love iron. Now, this isn't all bad. There are times when this pays off big. Just not in your case this time.

You won't like this but here it goes---you need a Minelab machine for that spot. Minelab like all brands has its hangups but this isn't one of them--Minelabs hate iron. All the way from the X70-GT-Explorers--you can't beat a Minelab when it comes to dealing with nail city.

With my Tesoros I averaged at least a nail or similar iron trash about every 10 minutes. With the Sovereign GT and now Explorer the only nails I dig just happen to be in the hole with the find.

I don't know how they do it but they rarely see nails and yet pick off the coins nearby.

Right now I don't know of another brand that can do this.

You won't hurt my feelings by recommending a Minelab. I put mainly White's and Tesoro's, but still open for other brands. If I go Minelab I will probably go with the X70. It's actually cheaper than the MXT like I was looking at anyway and if it's more suited for what I need then that is a plus for me. Only thing I don't like about Minelab is the warranty.
I hunt alot of relics but want something to where I don't pick up all of the small iron trash. If I can get past the biggest part of the nails I will have accomplished what I want. My Tesoro will knock out alot of nails in certain conditions, but in wet conditions(best digging) it seems to amplify the nails.

Thanks again for the input, I appreciate it.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i bought my t-2 thinking that it would handle those conditions, the old square nails in burnt down buildings, really wanted the MXT, but found out the t-2 was simular in capabilitys with a faster reset speed, and lighter, so i got a t-2 and have to say even with the large coil, I have found small brass clasps [or really light suspender buckles] in the nails that i never hit with my whites QXT with the 4x6, 6.5 or 9.5 in coils, ive hit this spot many times over 2 years before the t-2, i have ran a silver eagle, IDX and bh 3300 here as well, the targets tend to only run about 3-4" in here because of a gravel base. have to say ive been very happy with the t-2, if i was hunting park i would probably choose something else, but relic hunting is where its at for me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread