Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
QUESTION ON MULTI FREQUENCY'/ SANDMAN / M.B. / ANY ONE

Minelab has X-Terra with multi coils to change Frequency....whites has the 2 Freq. detector so does Fisher...........NOW for my Question.........Minelab has been makeing the ..Eureka Gold from way back in 1990 0r call it the XT 16000 / 17000 / 18000 what ever....you can go to any of 3 Frequency's with a flip of the switch...on the Eureka or 16000 / 17000 / 18000................6.4 / 20 / or 60 .... now why would that not make the best coin / jewelry / relic ..detector you can change your Freq. with the flip of a switch not changeing coil's............?????????????...........Jim

Upvote 0

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Re: QUESTION ON MULTI FREQUENCY'/ SANDMAN / EASY MONEY / M.B. / ANY ONE

Keppy said:
Minelab has X-Terra with multi coils to change Frequency....whites has the 2 Freq. detector so does Fisher...........NOW for my Question.........Minelab has been makeing the ..Eureka Gold from way back in 1990 0r call it the XT 16000 / 17000 / 18000 what ever....you can go to any of 3 Frequency's with a flip of the switch...on the Eureka or 16000 / 17000 / 18000................6.4 / 20 / or 60 .... now why would that not make the best coin / jewelry / relic ..detector you can change your Freq. with the flip of a switch not changeing coil's............?????????????...........Jim

You are under the impression that more frequencies available the better to find coin/jewelry/relics. The Eureka Gold is a gold nugget machine and it's main function is to find gold nuggets. The 60 frequency is for small nuggets only- thus unless you are after micro gold jewelry it would have little value for your other uses. The Eureka Gold is not as sensitive to very small nuggets as the Gold Bug or GMT so it is not as popular as they are.

For $900 it does not have tone ID or TID which is popular with coin/relic hunters. How about iron discrimination? Is it on par with other VLFs used for coins/relics?

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's my shot, though someone will probably correct me. :icon_study:

The frequency is not the only thing that makes a good coin detector. The size of the coil helps with a trashy area and also see's less minerals in it's footprint. Different freq. react to different minerals including what the targets are made of. This is why gold detectors have the different frequencies to adjust to because of the type ground they are used and the size of the tiny gold targets.

Have anything to add Tom in CA, or Easy Money. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Sandman, Bakergeol,.. I was just thinking that they push these multi Frequency detectors and you have to change coils for a diffrent frequency or let the detector pick the frequency. They could make a coin , detector that you could flip a switch and run what frequency you want with out changeing coils. And save a lot of money in the cash you put out for coils. I saw more than one write up on the forum that the X-Terra detectors are a step backwards not forward and they are right to me it is a backward step..........Jim

XT18000

May 26, 2008

I have and use the XT18000 and have to say it has a wart or to; biggest one is the poor volume.
You have to use a after market audio amp. to really be able to hear any thing smaller than a 5 gal.
bucket ( well maybe a 1 gal. ) but with a amp. it changes into a whole different beast! It will go
head to head with the best of them. Have tryed coin shooting with mine and as long as you stay
on 20kHz it will hold its own. If you dig every target you will soon learn it can find anything good
and everything NOT GOOD. If there some better coils for it I think it would be even better. I have
found that the other frequency's ( 6.4 & 60 kHz ) do not work as well on coins. I beleave the right
size coil is more important than being able to change frequency's on any coin machine as far as its
ability to find things.

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine

I currently use the xterra 70 and I own several coils for it. I don't consider it a step back in technology because I have many coils for all of my machines. I like the 6" for high trash. I like the concentric for parks and the dd for beaches. I have to say that the frequency difference in my coils makes only slight differences in performance. It is more to me about the coil configuration and size.

Ty

Oct 12, 2004
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's IDX, Custom Water Detector, White's Coinmaster, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Physics dictates that for maximum power transfer, a conductor (coil primary in this scenario) must be resonant to the operating frequency. Since a coil of wire cannot be resonant to more than one frequency, the following occurs.

Two of the three frequencies on the XT18000 are harmonics of the primary frequency, so unless one is using the primary frequency, maximum power transfer does not occur when a target is detected.

I have not checked this for myself with a scope, but I would suspect that 6.4 and 20 kHz positions of the switch produce the best results.

Operating with the primary frequency in a detector should produce the best, while operating with either of the two harmonic frequencies maximum power transfer does not occur as the coil (antenna) can only be tuned for maximum results on the primary frequency.

Using the coil for frequency change (Xterra line) results in being able to tune each coil to achieve maximum results.

In the two frequency detectors, the coils are compromises to get maximum results from both frequencies, although there is some degradation with one (or both) frequencies.

Even though the coils for the Xterra dig a little deeper into your wallet, you should get better results with different coils for different frequencies.

Ty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

I've asked these same multi frequency questions so many times I've finally decided that most don't really know and the few who do don't write much about it simply because they know 99% who would read their explanations wouldn't really understand them anyway.

So, I stopped asking them.

I'm a simple cookie jar type of person. I hate technical things and just look for what works.

I have discovered that the multi frequency Minelabs do work. Why they do so well at pulling out coins from trash is a mystery to me. Maybe it's not even the multi frequency thing but it's caused by electronic signal processing? Maybe the multi thing is really just a gimmick? I really can't say because I don't have that level of knowledge.

All I know for sure is one cookie jar in the house holds my favorite cookies and the other doesn't. If I want my kind of cookie I have to use the right jar.

Badger

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very well said Badger!!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread