What keeps you going?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have been back at this hobby for 2 years now and recently pulled out my "treasures" to see what I have brought home that would be considered good finds. I was suprised how the stuff I found that I thought was good at the time actually turned out (most of the time) to just be stuff. The finds that I valued the most had no actual cash value, no collectible value but were finds I had found on a night hunting with my buddy Baldingboy that we had a LOT of fun detecting. Wether it was because the dingo almost ate me, or the multiple dirt clods that were tossed or the crazy idea of detecting in 20 degree weather with a strong wind and sleet pounding down on us. The friendship of a hunting partner has made all my experiences so much more rewarding.

There have been dry spells for me while hunting and I still have yet to find ONE thing that would make a person stop and go WOW now that is a great find!!! But every time I decide to give it all up and go back to sitting on the couch watching TV and vegging out I remember the fun times I have had when I was hunting with others, and especially Baldingboy. He has become a truer friend than I have had in a long time. And no this isn't broke back detecting. Friendship, good times with the bad, that is what keeps me going in this hobby.

So what keeps you going?

Upvote 0

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son (12) and I get out as much as we can. The challenge of finding new sites,learning more about our local history,checking out the countryside and just spending time together are my biggest draws. That, and the eternal possibility of that elusive colonial copper just a few steps ahead of you............ ;D ;D ;D

T

The.Boomer

My daughter, (the Princess) and the look on her face when I open my treasure box on her birthday and I let her pick out her gift. I once offered to buy her a gift while out of town on her birthday. She refused and wanted to wait till I got home, because, as she said, I like picking from the treasure chest because I've gone metal detecting with you dad, and I know how hard you've worked to get each piece I pick. :tongue3:

Sorry gotta go dry my eyes, (sniff, sniff) :'(

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
just the time I spend with friends without the day to day pressures.
it's not about what you find so much, as the time you spend enjoying life

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The feeling I get when I see sparkles and gold in my scoop.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the thrill of the hunt..the unknown, will I find something? most times it doesn't matter, its just getting out to the ocean and smelling the salt air and seeing the pods of dolphins go by. And I have two friends I like to hunt with, but I dont get to hunt often enough with them..

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Montauk3 said:
The feeling I get when I see sparkles and gold in my scoop.
Well i do very little water but you win......i am with you...............Jim

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The research and actually going out and seeing what's there now.

With so much development, I find a challange to get a good productive spot. I haven't found anything note-worthy for a long time but the stuff I read and the maps I study and then going and taking pictures, putting myself back in time.....

But it's also the..."Am I going to find a big one at this old site?" that drives me.

Al

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
I simply try to live my life every day like it's my last. You know......a lot of screaming and crying. :'(

Baldingboy

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What keeps me going is:

Every time I log on to TNET and see the current "Daily Finds" from T'netters. I just want to grab my detector and head out the door.

Ed D.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What keeps me going? Well, I just like getting out and swinging the detector. I guess I still look at it like a kid. I'm still amazed by it all. You swing this electrical gizmo over some grass or sand and it beeps and you dig something up. The fact that something was lost decades ago or just yesterday and I found it. Finding something where 100's maybe even thousands of people walk by everyday and it was just below their feet. The possibility that you could find something that meant so much to someone that was lost... and return it to them. The 3 rings (2 class rings and 1 wedding band) that I've returned to their owners gave me such a good feeling.

I still find it relaxing, whether I'm in chest deep water or in a park. It's just good to get out. I can't stand when my wife and daughter just want to hang around the house and do nothing. I can't stand sitting in the house on a perfectly good day, that's a day you are never gonna get back, take advantage of it.

Well, spell check says everything is spelled right , I just hope it made sense. :icon_jokercolor:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
With a busy family life, hectic job and very little time to myself, I treasure the solitude of a couple of hours alone with my metal detector. It would be nice to find something other than clad but I find my share of that. Once in a while an goodie pops out of the ground, but it is not the finds that keep me going, it is the solitude and the exercise.

Guess everbody has their own reason for being in this hobby. That is mine. :o

HH to everyone.

Ray S

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just finding stuff and even after all these years I still get a mild rush when I pluck a coin out of the ground. (Except maybe Zinklons)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread