VLF, MPS, BBS, FBS, High, Low, pasturized, non-pasturized, etc...

Elwood P. Dowd

Sep 12, 2008
Tired subject I am sure. I want to know why all detectors don't use BBS or FBS like Minelab. According to them, the only way to search an area well is to use multiple frequency spectrums. It sounds very convincing. But if it were that cut and dry why wouldn't all the other very popular brands use more than one or two frquencies?

Is there a frequency that will allow me to easily find coins and gold rings in the same machine? I can't come close to affording a Minelab. Actually I need to stay below $200 new or used.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of more than one frequency helps the detector in mineralized ground and to help the circuits discriminate more accurately. Single frequency detectors can and do find plenty of coins and rings. You just need to not use to much discrimination, over lap your sweeps, and be persistent.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
BBS and FBS are Minelab technologies that are trademarked by Minelab so that would explain why others dont use it. i have a feeling that if Minelab let the trademark lapse, some others would probably make use of it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman & hollowpointred summed it up right.

I started detecting back in the 60's when all we had were BFO and the early TR all-metal only machines.

I spent so much time with those types of detectors that when the newer technologies became available I was slower to accept them.

My first Minelab was the Excalibur back in 05. At first I liked it because I got lucky and dug some good stuff with it. Then when it got down to really learning the machine I reverted back to the old ways of thinking and rejected the new advanced technology.

Finally after hearing so many reports of great finds with the Minelabs I decided it was time to think out of the box and move on with the times.

Like Sandman wrote, the older type single frequency machines found a lot of stuff. And they still do today. But, they don't compare with Minelab technology. I'm not sure if it's their multi frequency claims or something else but I do know now the Minelabs are the best producers IF THEY ARE LEARNED.

I just finished a very intensive month testing the old Minelab XS. I did about 50 hours with it and there's no question at all that the Explorer is the best machine I've ever used. Now, I've used other very good brands and models. I'm not saying they were, or are, junk. But what I am saying is Minelab's multi frequency machines do have a very definite edge over the competition.

My XS consistently finds deep dimes my other brands couldn't even get a beep on. That is fact! Even my old Minelab Sovereign GT couldn't match my Explorer XS. Those online depth charts showing the Explorers so much deeper are true. But it's not even depth that makes them better because many coins I dug weren't all that deep. Many were masked by trash or possibly on edge.

Depth isn't the big issue in finding what has been missed. It's really all about target identification. I think Minelab's edge is mostly due to their sophisticated signal processing computers. The frequencies just feed more information to the computers so they can better distinguish targets. A single frequency would just limit the detector's computer in it's processing of data.

After seriously using the Minelab Explorer (without holding secretly to a bias against it) I am forced to admit that Minelab is far ahead of most other brands and models made today. Again, the others can and do find great things. But at a difficult site I'll put my money on Minelab.

Why don't others use Minelab's multi frequency system?

It's very expensive to totally change over to a completely new construction. When a new design is made a very large quantity of parts are ordered. These circut boards, control boxes, coils, etc., must be used up or they become a tremendous loss. Contrary to what some people think, engineering a quality detector with revolutionary technology is not cheap!

One final note: We all gripe today about the cost of detectors. I was with my son recently while he was checking out new hunting bows. A basic middle range mostly plastic bow starts at about $900 and with everything needed to use it right you're looking at about $1400. This is just for a bow! Just thought I'd add this as food for thought.

Badger

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey badger, I loved your post. And coming from that "old school", I could "feel" that evolution. I can't say I date back to the BFO days, but I distinctly recall the old TR-all-metal days (Compass 77, Whites 66tr, etc...). So yes, that gives you a definate feel for the pro's and con's of things.

There are things that the Explorer can't do, that the old technology CAN do, and vice-versa. It's like golf clubs: you use one for putting, one for driving, one for chipping, etc... But with that said, it's also true that those that have become proficient with the Explorer, have found themselves reaching for it in just about every coin/relic situation. All I ever do anymore, is switch coil sizes, and swith back-&-forth between ferrous and conductive. Period. About the only time I reach for something else now is if I need a water-proof machine (then my Excaliber comes out), or if I'm in a seriously nail/iron-riddled environment, then a Tesoro 2-filter or my 77b comes out. But for 99% of my hunting nowadays, it's strictly my Explorer, and it's kicks b*tt!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Badger,
Good, informative post, but I can see where this thread is going. Like most opinion posts, I will have to sift through 100 or so replies to pick out the gems. I also go back to the BFO era. I saw all the posts on the F75. I went to a major dealer in WI and he did show me that the machine will pick up his wedding band (in air) at about 14 inches! Yet he had to cross the street to get the electrical interference down to a manageable level. I am still thinking of the F75 but .... the point being, instead of buying MORE bells and whistles, I choose to use machines I know well from years of use. TTC

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EPD,

I would not worry much about the top of the line technology right now. Unlike some of the folks who have already replied I transitioned early on into a BBS machine. I purchased my Minelab Soverign in about 1998-1999. I had owned a Tesoro Bandidto II and I really enjoyed that machine. In fact I owned two at one point.

My backup brand of detector is the Tesoro's. They are very relieable machines they are durable and efficient.

When you purchase your first detector please read the manual and learn the machine. Before I purchased my first detector I read the book "The Detectorist" I believe it is out of print now but I think I wore the book out before I got the machine. If you know what your detector is telling you, you will do better than you think.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pennyfarmer said:
EPD,

I would not worry much about the top of the line technology right now. Unlike some of the folks who have already replied I transitioned early on into a BBS machine. I purchased my Minelab Soverign in about 1998-1999. I had owned a Tesoro Bandidto II and I really enjoyed that machine. In fact I owned two at one point.

My backup brand of detector is the Tesoro's. They are very relieable machines they are durable and efficient.

When you purchase your first detector please read the manual and learn the machine. Before I purchased my first detector I read the book "The Detectorist" I believe it is out of print now but I think I wore the book out before I got the machine. If you know what your detector is telling you, you will do better than you think.
"If you know what your detector is telling you"..... Very true! A detector is incapable of lying... just LEARN what it is trying to tell you! TTC

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thanks for all the information. I am in the process of buying a new land detector, and appreciate all the infomation I can get about the different lines. Thank you.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like Tom, I think that the golf club analogy applies really well to metal detectors. I'm always trying to convince my wife that one detector just can't do it all. I know from all the different posts, that the Explorer is killer on deep silver coins, but never have I seen any post that implies that the Explorer is any good for gold nuggets. All the most widely used VLF nugget detectors are single frequency detectors from 14 khz to 70khz. If multifrequency technology was any good for metals in their natural state, I think that Minelab would be marketing something in this niche. If you'll notice, the Eureka Gold is VLF, so Minelab must have figured this out. Now you might say, Minelab has their line of pulse induction detectors. Well, here in Colorado, we have a lot of wire gold, which the PI detectors don't pick up, but they are still good for relics. Another club in the bag. So when I go out, I bring all my detectors and coils, so I can switch out whenever the situation or terrain changes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread