couple of questions

Elwood P. Dowd

Sep 12, 2008
1. I have read about some of the cheap ebay detectors. Are there any that are worth owning.
2. Once you learn to "read" the beeps do you really benefit from all the read out screens? I know you must in the higher models. But I use the Treasure Ace 100. (It is what I could afford at the time.) The Ace 150 and 250 use, as I understand it, the same technology to find targets. But they interface with that information differently. Meaning more visual info to go with the audio. I know pinpoint and other features add to the hunt. They aren't really what I am asking about.
3. Are there other cheap detectors that would serve me well? I want a conquistador. Even though it is essentially the same. It seems to be better than my ace.
4. Are Bounty Hunters good detectors? For the money you seem to get a lot of bang.
5. If I am not using a minelab, is there really a vast difference in abilities among other brands? Or is it just different bells and whistles? I like Tesoro by looks, weight, and reputation. But what do I know.
6. What is the air speed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The air speed velocity of a coconut laden swallow? Is that swallow, as in verb? Or swallow as in bird? If you take the fact that stars on the outside of galaxies are traveling at the same speed as those at the center, you must believe that the universe consists of 96% dark matter. And, since scientists can now prove that the speed of light is NOT constant, you MUST believe that the air speed velocity of a coconut laden swallow is only relevant to the size of the swallow! TTC

FutureProspect784

Sep 22, 2007
Prince Edward Island
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 'somethingorother'.
4. Are Bounty Hunters good detectors? For the money you seem to get a lot of bang.

There is nothing wrong with a Bounty Hunter metal detector, in fact, they are great detectors for beginners as most models are 'Turn & Go'. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker about five years ago, and I'm still using it.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stick with your Ace for a long while and really get to know it.
Don't worry about " What is the air speed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?" :icon_jokercolor:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, all detectors are worth owning, hunting with some of them now could be a waste of your time. (Read my signature below)

Many come down on Bounty Hunters because they are less expensive thinking they have to be cheaply made. Hunters always say they are going to upgrade. They do work well and give you max fun for the amount of money you put out. This is what is most important. Just because you spend more money on a detector doesn't mean you are guaranteed of finding more stuff.

There are other "cheap" detectors out there that are of poor quality. Basically you get what you pay for in quality goods and customer service. You really need to learn what the detector is telling you for the fun to kick in.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Many come down on Bounty Hunters because they are less expensive thinking they have to be cheaply made.

Just because you spend more money on a detector doesn't mean you are guaranteed of finding more stuff.

Agreed, Agreed.

My only complaint about Bounty Hunters is the fact that folks pick one up from Walmart and immediately go dig the crap out of a park, never understanding the importance of correct target recovery. Yes I have seen Hominids carrying top of the line detectors while destroying the hobby I hold so dear. I call them Hominids only because the other names I have are not family friendly.

Don't worry so much about the price of your detector, worry more about studying the detector you currently own.

tabking

Greenie
Jul 13, 2006
Elwood P. Dowd said:
6. What is the air speed velocity of a coconut laden swallow?

Would that be an African swallow or a European swallow?

Just keep digging, Elwood, and remember that it is best to be ever so pleasant.

OP
OP
Elwood P. Dowd

Elwood P. Dowd

Sep 12, 2008
Tabking,
You have restored my faith in humanity. I thought I was going to have to give the answer to #6 myself.

The "Harvey" addition was a nice touch.

As far as detecting is concerned, the more I am learning about BH the more I think it is a good balance of detector/ money. I think I will look at the discovery 3300 or the Quick Draw 2.

tabking

Greenie
Jul 13, 2006
Elwood P. Dowd said:
Tabking,
You have restored my faith in humanity. I thought I was going to have to give the answer to #6 myself.

The "Harvey" addition was a nice touch.

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

For those who are scratching their heads, the coconut and swallow routine is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Elwood P. Dowd in Harvey stated that in life you can be "oh, so smart" or "oh, so pleasant" and he rather preferred to be pleasant.

NOW, get back to digging before you force me to say "Ni".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread