Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the early 70's, everybody was talkin probes, so I up and made me one of those brass welding rod (wooden dowel handle) probes.

The first coin I hit with it had this big nasty fresh scratch across the face so I never used it again. As I recall it was a nice big silver coin like a Barber or something. Anyway, it took all notions of probes out of me forever.

Really, I see absolutely no need for a probe if one learns how to pinpoint and read signals.

For shallow clad coins/rings I just use the tip of my trowel and make a small 2-3" U shaped plug and peel it back. As I peel it the ring usually just pops out. The only reason I dig clad is because it might just be a ring or piece of jewelry.

It's a myth that all old coins are deep. Last year I dug two excellent 1865 Indian Heads and both were less than 3 inches deep. People have dug gold coins as shallow as modern clad.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a custom made probe made of brass with a round ball on the tip to prevent marring a coin. With it came another probe type device but with a small spoon for a tip to lever the coin out. They are both about 8" long. A fellow detectorist I met a while back gave them to me. Monty

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal tent pegs with the end rounded off

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I am fairly new but I use sort of like an ice pick that is dull on the end. I usually just use it to mark where I have pin pointed the target. I know some use it by pushing it into the ground to probe and actually find the coin before digging but I guess I am not that good with pin pointing yet. I tried finding the coin by pushing the probe in but couldn't really tell if I found a rock or the coin or just some "tough dirt". Anyway, once I mark the spot with the probe I dig my plug and pull the probe out. I think use my hand held pin pointer to see if it's in the hole or the plug. You guys are much better than I am if you can find it by just sticking it in the ground.

Optic

Attachments

• MachineGunSquirrle.jpg
    MachineGunSquirrle.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 719

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
A thin screwdriver to pinpoint and a thicker one to pry the coin out...I also use a small gator digger and various other tools.

Chaparral

Oct 5, 2008
Niceville, Florida
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, Infinium LS, Tiger Shark. TDI, E-Trac/SR X-1, Vision/SR DX-1, Excalibur II
I had left over aluminium rod that I use. I bent one end into a handle and filed a dull rounded point on the other. I use a probe when it seems appropriate for the task at hand.

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
I take a phillips screwdriver with a 5"shank, file the tip to a semi point, and file a groove around it about an inch from the tip. That way, if you're slightly off and the probe slides past the target, you can feel the "click" when it hits the groove. It's a godsend when you have a pulltab or something else with a hole in the center.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
I don't dig coins. I use a 26-inch Phillips with the tip ground round and dipped in epoxy to prevent scratching to probe with, and a big screwdriver to pop the coins out of the ground. Been doing it that way for 44 years.

Bill

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ez-dig-r is what I use. I rarely ever dig holes, it gives me the ability to detect areas I normally couldn't.

ezdigrII.jpg

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much. :D

I cut and flip a plug with a Lesche or Trans-Mississippi Digger and then use a pinpointer from there. Never had any success with a "popper" or by probing.

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In parks, lawns, and grassed sportsfields, I still use the probe and pry method on shallow targets 3-4" or less. Once pinpointed, I GENTLY push the probe straight down till I "touch" the object. If it's less than 2 inches down, I angle the same probe underneath the target and pry the handle upwards which usually pushes the target up and out with the dirt. If deeper, I use what looks like a dandelion digger to cut a small slit in the grass, then shove it straight down keeping at least an inch to one side till I'm sure that I'm deeper than the target, than I lever the digger to the surface, pretty much like a shovel. This pushes up a small wad of dirt and usually the object with it. I rarely scratch anything, probably no more times than people scarring targets with their digging tool.

Once done, dirt back into the slit, squeeze the sides together, no chance of any browning since i didn't actually cut a plug. Takes way less time to do than to explain it.

On anything deeper, or if I can't find the target within a few seconds, I resort to the regular plug method.
Here's a pic, taken before I had the Garrett ProPointer. The tools I just mentioned are on the right side. BTW, with the ProPointer, I skip the first probing step on really shallow targets since it zeros in on the target much more accurately now.

Toolkit_sm.jpg

rugratt

Dec 19, 2008
Erie, Pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, whites DFX
Fillet knife. Once you get used to the feel and the "sound" of a coin, it saves me a lot of time. If used gently you can probe around until you get the sound and usually pluck it out of the ground. I would not recommend the in tot lots but works real well in grass area's. It also works well as a type of protection when your out by your self at places like city parks where the homeless hang out.

Note: the feel and sound of you probe hitting your object to some practice but saves a lot of digging...................

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't probe anymore I use my trowel and cut out a 4 or 5 inch plug check it and find my coin....Matt

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best probe is the one you find comfortable with. I use a bayonet, a commercial probe that dealers sell. The bayonet for plugs....I have never been approached by police when I use it.

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut the plug, flip it over and then use my pinpointer. Never used a screwdriver, etc. because I didn't want to scratch my finds. Besides, I can find it lot faster with the pinpointer.

...but maybe that's just me. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread