pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a screwdriver because most of the items I probe for are new and most of the old stuff I know it is deep and I cut a plug without probing.

I was just wondering what folks use and if anyone thinks the way I do. I have only ever had 2 silver dimes within probing range at a park. So I just go on with my coin destroying screwdriver.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used the screwdriver before but now while hunting grass, I use a bayonet. Why, because it can wedge into a pull tap for levering it out of the ground. I have plucked a few rings out like this too. It also makes a nice slit in the sod for inserting a finger to get the coin out and you don't have to push hard to get it to touch a coin and feel for the resistance which is different for a rock.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I use a bayonet.

????? DO WHAT ???
Didn't these go out with WW2 ???

I have used a screwdriver for most of my 20 or so years of hunting....
and I have a nice Severly scarred seated liberty quarter to prove it....
ha ha ha ... (true story)
(didn't stop me from using a screwdriver though...)

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
I tried a metal probe about twenty years ago, in a park that I thought was fairly new---I found my first Mercury Head, with a big scratch across it. I put that probe on a shelf and lost track of it since.

I figure if it's not worth cutting a small horseshoe, I don't want it anyway.

A bamboo chopstick will work, though, if you want to probe.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EE THr said:
A bamboo chopstick will work, though, if you want to probe.

That's a great idea!

I use a pinpointer and a finger.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Sandman said:
I've used the screwdriver before but now while hunting grass, I use a bayonet. Why, because it can wedge into a pull tap for levering it out of the ground. I have plucked a few rings out like this too. It also makes a nice slit in the sod for inserting a finger to get the coin out and you don't have to push hard to get it to touch a coin and feel for the resistance which is different for a rock.

I like it. If you wear your camo and maybe a a hat a little sideways and talk to your self now and then then you should not have to worry about any one bothering you.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason in TN said:
Sandman said:

I like it. If you wear your camo and maybe a a hat a little sideways and talk to your self now and then then you should not have to worry about any one bothering you.

Get one of those cammie hats with the long hair coming out from under it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to add today as another time that I have found a silver coin within probing range in a park. I got a silver rosie right on top, it was a recent drop that has me baffled ??? I may post it in todays finds.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used electrician screwdrivers for about 30 years. They're 3/16 inch wide, common blade with 10" long shank. I use a smooth SLOW insertion until the least resistance is found. Then STOP PUSHING. Pull the blade back out while noting the depth of the object, then move the tip over SLIGHTLY and use another smooth SLOW push. That is how to determine the size. In 30 years, I've left a mark on only 1 or 2 coins. The point is NOT to try stabbing the thing to death. ;D Most coins will be less than 3 inches deep.

tlzkaasen

Jun 20, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500|| Garret ACE 250 (Daughter) || Sunray YF-1 Invader Inline Probe|| Garrett Head Phones|| 2008 Rat Head Phones||
What if you used electrical tape on the screw driver tip to prevent marring/scratching?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have had the police show up to see what the guy in the park is doing walking around with a knife. The bayonet is dull as heck and it's main purpose is the center point and good steel as it is USMC issue. Wearing camo has it's purposes. I wonder how many visitors you'd get by wearing blaze orange?

Either way, mothers call the kids away from you. Can that be bad?

OP
OP
pennyfarmer

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Either way, mothers call the kids away from you. Can that be bad?

I have now begun to use one of my own kids as people repellent. We both have headphones on and people leave me alone. I feel more comfortable hitting the tot lot while folks are there. ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tlzkaasen said:
What if you used electrical tape on the screw driver tip to prevent marring/scratching?

The tape wouldn't survive the blade being shoved into the ground. I just use a 'driver right out of the bin. Some folks grind the flat tip into a more rounded shape. It's a personal choice.

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
i dont really probe.
i dig a hole than say "yeah i found a penny!"
then i do my happy dance 8)

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don,t probe many targets. I just use a pin pointer, older Whites Bulls Eye to locate them. I did however make a nice probe, 4 " of an old wooden broom handle with a 3/8" X 9" soft brass rod pressed into it, leaving about a 6 " probe. Any deeper than this I would bend up the rod. The brass being softer keeps from scratching the target.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread