XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many tools that I use.
  • I have a plugger if the lawn is very short. It replaces a plug beautifuly
  • I carry a tool like the Leshe for cutting plugs
  • I have a screwdriver for probing shallow targets
  • I have a small shovel for going deeper in the hole

I tailor the tools to the area. If I can get away with a big shovel then I will use it. If I need to be extra careful in the sod then I have those tools also.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tailor the tools to the area. If I can get away with a big shovel then I will use it. If I need to be extra careful in the sod then I have those tools also.

I used to use the screwdriver as a probe but now when on grass I use a bayonet as it wedges in the pull tabs and rings instead of poking all around it and through it. Saves cutting any plugs. I like the Fiskar trowl too.

Attachments

• Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 747
  • Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    Fiskar Trowel.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 676

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite is the Treasure Wise T14. Then the T12. Then the rest of the bag of tools. TTC

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
Il ike a digger myself. But I have been known to use a bigger shovel during relic hunting when you need to get down there 10 to 15 inches a spade just needs to be bigger.

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I use a knife most of the time, if out in the woods I do drag a small shovel with me. Most of my hunting is in tot lots and yards around town.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use an old knife I bought at an Army/Navy surplus store back in the early 80's. It solid, easy to keep sharp, fits comfortably in my back pocket, and still have the leather carrying case...and original sharpening stone.
It's great for cutting through sod and the blade is exactly 5"...so I can grasp the depth pretty easy.

It's what I'm comfortable with...and isn't that what you want?

Al

Opticman

Aug 10, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I started out with a regular garden hand shovel then bought a Lesche tool. What a difference, very sharp and the saw tooth side comes in handy. Such a big difference.

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you are hunting. If you are going to public parks and school grounds I wouldn't take a knife. You can get jail time these days for that.

If every where you hunt is soft easily moved soil then a simple screwdriver probe will do.

Around here I am usually in red clay soil, a hand trowel with a nice curved handle that I can put weight on is the only way to get into the ground most of the time. Once I open up a hole and break the hard crust then sometimes a screwdriver will finish the job. I sometimes then find lots of small rocks and just have to keep digging with the trowel.

If I am off in the woods or on a site that the size of the hole is of no matter I get out a small, about 24" long round point shovel that I got at Walmart, it is easier to get it in the ground with my foot on it.

I frankly don't even, other than a pocket knife, carry a knife in my gear even. All you need is to accidentally get on some kind of property that has a no weapons policy and have a enthusiastic sheriff's deputy decide to search your gear or your vehicle. Not to mention that I do observe my Second Amendment rights most of the places I go. You could find yourself doing jail time for having a nice long blade knife on your hip on a school or public park grounds.

Now common sense tells me that a nice hand trowel is as good a weapon as any knife that you can buy. But at least you could have an argument and possibly win with the judge that a hand trowel is not classified as a weapon and you were not armed and your intent was to dig not cut and slice.

Don't go anywhere near USMC Boot Camp training about how to properly apply an entrenching tool in hand to hand combat.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the"Gladiator"

Attachments

• ATT2274324.jpg
    ATT2274324.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 900
  • ATT2274324.jpg
    ATT2274324.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 526

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I use a lesche for lawn and maintained areas for general digging I use a Little Eagle by predator tools

Old Relic

Oct 21, 2005
North Prairie, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 Minelab Advantage Tesoro Eldorado µMAX Tesoro Silver µMAX
I use a screwdriver for shallow targets, a Lesche for cutting a small plug if the target is deeper, and a plastic ice cream scoop to dig deeper if necessary.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a Predator and a Lesche. The warning about a 'knife' should be considered. On the Preadator it is stamped right on it, "for digging only". It could be used as a weapon, but then so can the shovel or the sharpened screwdriver that is used for prying coins out. With the 'digging' thing stamped on the tool, it might just sway an over nosey law enforcement person that you weren't some kind of person with criminal intent. On the other hand, think of the same situation with a K-bar in your hand...Jim

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i use the Lesche trowel. super tough so i dont worry about it breaking out in the woods somewhere.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a 5 way painters tool. IT works great for all my park's hunts. Easy to carry in pocket.

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pennyfarmer said:
I have many tools that I use.
  • I have a plugger if the lawn is very short. It replaces a plug beautifuly
  • I carry a tool like the Leshe for cutting plugs
  • I have a screwdriver for probing shallow targets
  • I have a small shovel for going deeper in the hole

I have wondered how well a plugger would work.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Lesche for plugs, 3 fingered hand rake with supermagnet attached for tot-lot chips.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I like my Lesche best. I started out with a cheap kitchen knife. After spending $200 on my first detector many years ago I did not have extra $10 to spend on a digger. After breaking several of those, and cutting my fingers many times, I bought a 3 in 1 knife/digger. The first ones I got had wooden handles. When new, the wood would give you splinters, then the rivets would fall out or the wood would split. I just replaced the rivets and made new wood handles until the blades would eventually break. The last one I had had a plastic handle like in the picture and I don't think the steel was as good as the old wooden handled ones. I went through 3-4 of those in 12 years, I then bought myself a Lesche this year, and it took getting used to, but I like it. It's easier on my hands (the 3 in 1 would give me a callus on my palm), tougher (the Lesche can really pry well) and does a great job. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought a Lesche from day one.

Attachments

• lesche.jpg
    lesche.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 353
  • digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 392

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread