New hobby

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
Hello all, First post.

I am new to the hobby. I just won a ace 250 on ebay for $130(not a bad deal). This is my first and only metal detector. I have never done this hobby before. I can wait to get started here in Bloomington, Illinois. I have never personaly seen another metal detector 'out and about ' around these parts. The ace 250 was shipped today and I should be getting it in a few days. Anyway, Great to meet you all.....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck my friend.

Advice???

Don't get to antsy to purchase a new detector and "upgrade". Learn your machine, which comes mainly from experience. Get out and use the dad blasted thing. After you learn proper target recovery, hit up friends and family to get the chance to hunt old yards.

Good luck and welcome to T-Net.

HH

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Welcome to a rewarding hobby. You may get a little frustrated until you get to know your detector but if you stick with it your ACE will not end up in the closet. HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can not stress enough to learn your detector and proper recovery techniques. Use a screw driver to probe for the coin that the ACE pinpoints and try to get it out of the ground without digging a hole. If you need to dig a plug, set the dirt on a cloth so it all can go back in the hole and take all your trash with you. Ya don't wanny find it again.

Read all you can about metal detecting and Good Luck.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome and the others are right--learn early to recover your finds the right way.

Nothing turns people off faster than to see somebody digging holes all over the place.

At first learn the machine sounds and readings and also exactly how it pinpoints the target.

If people see you're very careful and are not leaving behind round dead spots they'll pass the word and you'll do well at finding future hunting sites.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
X-Star.jpg

Attachments

• X-Star.jpg
    X-Star.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
maxmoney

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all of the good advice. I live in the historic section of Bloomington, Illinois. My house was built in the early 20's by the same contractors that built the davis mansion. I will start with my yard first and then go on to ask local neighbors. I have been studying the history of my town. It was started in 1822 as a town of 150 people. I have been locating old maps of my town looking for early building spots. Don't worry I am not the kind of person who would dig a big hole and not fill it. I respect your hobby and I am not out to give it a bad name. I want this hobby to pay for itself(or better put 'not cost me money'). I have no want to get the latest detector device that's the flavor of the day. I think my ace 250 will do the job just fine once I get better with it.

I will use a chopstick instead of a screwdriver(do not want to scratch the coin). I will probably get a golf hole plug cutter too instead of a shovel to Carry with me. I may take a few trips to the beach, But most of the time I will be working along old route 66, parks, and other old high traffic areas.

I also sent a letter to Bud and Diane the owner of the Duncan Manor asking them to consider letting a group of us come on the property and search on a scheduled date. They just purchased the property and gave a tour to thousands to help pay for renovations to it. They are nice people and may let us. That house was built on a few acres of farm land in 1875. Its a long shot but these are 2 pictures of the tour I took. They dug a hole 3x3x5 in the back yard and it had tons of early age bottles from people burying trash in the old days. I explained to them we were just looking for coins in the 2 to 6 in. range and that we would not damage the grass. we will see......I will let you know if I get permission.

Attachments

• DSC04243[1].JPG
    DSC04243[1].JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC04277[1].JPG
    DSC04277[1].JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 366

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
kool i have an ace250 also!
im 13 and its no problem for me so it should be a great easy machine to learn on for you!
btw-go to parks with consession stands and hunt in the grass (or whatever there) out in front of the consession stand.i always find coins with my ace.

dougadam

Sep 15, 2008
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureace13 said:
im 13 and its no problem for me so it should be a great easy machine to learn on for you!
btw-go to parks with consession stands and hunt in the grass (or whatever there) out in front of the consession stand.i always find coins with my ace.

Your 13 and a senior member? ???

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

i started on this website when i was like 11 or 12.
ya it mean i have alot of post's

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Welcome to the hobby. As others have said learn your machine. Check out the post of the Garrett froum about the Yellow Fellow. Lots of good info there. :thumbsup:

treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

Are you homeschooled because from looking at your statistics your on here during school time????

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
SwampHunter said:
Welcome to the hobby. As others have said learn your machine. Check out the post of the Garrett froum about the Yellow Fellow. Lots of good info there. :thumbsup:

treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

Are you homeschooled because from looking at your statistics your on here during school time????
no im home for the past 2 days sick.
migrains!!!!!!!! and puke!

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
treasureace13 said:
SwampHunter said:

treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

Hope you feel better. :thumbsup:

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
SwampHunter said:
treasureace13 said:
SwampHunter said:

treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

Hope you feel better. :thumbsup:
thanks

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Ace is a good machine. Best advice for a fun first day out...Start with coin. Dig only strong repeating signals. It should bing with every pass back and forth. Set the sensitivity at 4 or 5. No more than that usually, at least where I'm from. Power lines will affect the ace. Ace pinpoints extremely well. Once you have basically pinpointed using the X method, let go of the pin point over the target and then press it again. This will narrow the target down even more. Don't be afraid to press it to the ground as it will aid in pinpointing. The target will be right in front of the pole. Oh And if the cursor jumps around all over the place from nickel to silver dollar...assume it is junk until you learn the machine. This is all stuff I wish someone would have told me before I went out. Hope it helps. GL and HH.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
treasureace13 said:
SwampHunter said:

treasureace13 said:
dougadam said:
treasureace13 said:

Hey buddy, I've had migraines since I was about 8, so I feel for you. But, and I do want to stress this part, sitting in front of a computer or TV when you have a migraine going is a really bad idea. It strains the eyes something awful and won't do any good for your head. :wink:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Ace 250 is a very good machine! As with any other endeavor, you will get out of it what you put in to it. You will have good days and bad days. But don't blame the machine! Detectors are incapable of lying. You have to listen to what it is telling you! Good Luck TTC

OP
OP
maxmoney

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
After all of the great reviews on the ace 250 I know it is a good machine. If it ain't working right its probably my fault. I just got it in the mail today and I am getting ready to play with it now for the first time. It seems strait forward enough. I hope to have posted my first finds by the end of this weekend. Even if it is insignificant I will still share it with the forums. I don't expect to be a pro out of the box, But after a month or two I should have a good idea of why so many people recommend it. I am going to have some fun and enjoy the outdoors at the same time. I wish I had started at 13.... thats cool...keep with it kid. What a great thing to get kids hooked on. I plan on getting another ace for my mom to get out and hunt with me every once in a while. She just sits around all day without a job and thats got to get old quick. When my sisters kids come to town (age 6-9) to visit I am going to burry some silver in the yard (before they come) and let them go at it with the ace keeping what they find. You got me hooked this is so much fun..

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
i disagree with starting with 4 or 5.
start out digging shallower if you hunting first time.
like start with 3,then 4,then 5.
i dont go to the top because it gos crazy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread