Headphones.... What brand do you use and why?

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Killer Bee "single" headphone. One ear doesn't work so I don't need something on both ears. More comfortable that way. I also have Grey Ghosts which I haven't tried yet. Jim

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
There are many good headphones out there. Pro Gold, Grey Ghost, Killer B's etc.
However, IMO, the Ratphones are top, top, top of the line. Every single componet is the best available and I have never had a pair that I could wear for hours on end and not become uncomfortable until I got some Rats. I have the old ones so I can only assume the new model is as good or better if possible.

RatPhones

*Now with an even more brighter, clearer sound.
*New felt speaker grill.
*Sealed high current knob-less controls are high reliability over 50,000 life cycles.
*Full time soft limiter is low distortion and has no affect on deep targets.
*Field replaceable tough polyurethane cable will not tangle or soften.
*Multi-Machine compatible.
*Pro-Leather Cushions that with longer life than vinyl provide excellent isolation and comfort.
*Aerospace Teflon wiring (600V/200°C).
*No switches needed. Just reverse cable ends for machine compatibility!
*Compatible with both parallel tip-ring (Tesoro, Troy, Whites)
and series tip-ring machines. (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher).
*Mono capable on stereo machines (Nautilus).
*20Hz to 20Khz natural response and plenty loud!
*Fully Foldable design for compact carry or storage.
*Sensitivity 121db at 1mW.
*SNR rating 28db for high super quiet noise isolation.
*150 ohms impedance for entire range (300 ohm speakers), 500mW.
*Low profile molded right angle plugs.
*Cable length 3 to 12 ft. (retracted/extended)
*Head weight 10.2 oz. That's 2 oz lighter than other brands and you still get the full size cup!
*Lifetime limited warranty.
*Complete with warranty, instructions & Rat tail.

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
I am using head phones I bought at Best buy. They are dolby and have volume control. They are lighter weight then my whites head phones and do not make your ears sweat as bad.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Rats and they are the first headphones that have fit fully around my entire ear. All other makes that I've worn, including Air Force issued, never sealed completely around my ears; there would be a gap between the neck area just below the earlobe and the bottom contact-surface of the earcup. The RatPhones don't have that gap. GREAT!! The phones are excellent quality, lightweight, and extremely sensitive. They're top quality and cost no more than the Black Widows and Grey Ghosts. It's some of the best money I've spent on THing equipment. :thumbsup:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my headphones are some cheap Phillips unit. One day I left home without my headphones and stopped in the first electronics store that I saw and bought the cheapest pair.

I'm really confused as to why everybody is out there spending lots of money on headphones. What difference is there? Either you can hear the sound from your machine or you can't.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
I think my headphones are some cheap Phillips unit. One day I left home without my headphones and stopped in the first electronics store that I saw and bought the cheapest pair.

I'm really confused as to why everybody is out there spending lots of money on headphones. What difference is there? Either you can hear the sound from your machine or you can't.

Cheap phones let you hear the sounds from your detector, but top quality phones let you hear the variances in those sounds. Sort of like cheap phones let you listen to your stereo music, but top quality phones bring out the different instruments that are making that music.

If you can, go through a test garden with your cheap phones, then go back through it with a top quality, high impedance pair of phones; you'll immediately understand what you've been missing.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shortstack said:
bscofield6 said:

Cheap phones let you hear the sounds from your detector, but top quality phones let you hear the variances in those sounds. Sort of like cheap phones let you listen to your stereo music, but top quality phones bring out the different instruments that are making that music.

If you can, go through a test garden with your cheap phones, then go back through it with a top quality, high impedance pair of phones; you'll immediately understand what you've been missing.

A sound is a sound. It's as simple as that. As long as the headphones let me hear the sound, then I can decipher the difference. It's not that difficult to hear a difference in tones at all. I guess I just see expensive headphones as just that... something expensive to buy.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
Shortstack said:
bscofield6 said:

A sound is a sound. It's as simple as that. As long as the headphones let me hear the sound, then I can decipher the difference. It's not that difficult to hear a difference in tones at all.

:thumbsup: Hey;, it's cetrtainly your choice to make. Good luck. :thumbsup:

vondrewvious

Jan 15, 2008
Maine
I have used a couple of the bigger brands. The gray ghost and the Killer b's. The problem I have is the wishbone shaped piece of plastic that holds the earcups. Where the red arrows are in my picture is where both sets of them have broken. I do admit I am not the easiest on stuff. They do bounce around in my trunk, but they are not overly abused. It seems that plastic wishbone must be made by a company that sells them too everybody. Look closely, they are on Gray ghost, sunray,ratphones,jolly rogers,killer b's and the list goes on and on. I want more durabilty for my $80+. I have been looking at the ones in the following pictures mainly because they look like they have a more robust earcup mount. As far as stereo/mono switch, dual volume they are not necessary for me.
JMO

Attachments

• headphones.jpg
    headphones.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 236
  • PRO4AA_1.jpg
    PRO4AA_1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 244

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
I only have higher end audiophile headphones with no volume control in my collection to use. I use a cheap pair of sennheiser hd280 cans. The ace puts the beeps thru them so loud that I only use one ear muff a quarter of the way on my ear or I would go deaf quick. I can't justify taking Grado GS 1000's out to dig dirt. I am going to get a cheap $10 pair that have volume control and no full ear (full ear makes makes my head sweat) for detecting out in the hot sun. I think the ace only has a few beeps to decipher, so I don't know why I would need high end. For music high end will give clarity and separation placing you center stage in the mix making a world of difference (that's why I own a collection). If I need help with 3-5 tones I got ear problems. When I upgrade a higher end model of metal detector like MINELAB X-Terra 70 with 99 different tones I may opt for a better set of cans with justification.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have tried many different ones and natch have my favorites, like Black Widows, Grey Ghost, etc. As you get older your hearing changes and that is where premium phones come into play. It is just as important to go somewhere where you can try them on for fit and comfort. You spend a lot of $$$ for a great detector and it is folly to then use the cheapest phones you can find to just make noise......... :tongue3:

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks for all of the replies. Still not sure which brand I will go with but you can bet I am going to get a pair of really good ones.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I use the Sunray Pro Gold.
I have a few other pairs, but my hearing isn't what it used to be, and they work wonders.

I have broken the yoke on mine, twice. Not sure how I did it, but I did. Since they have limited lifetime warranty I called and got two new yokes for less than the $5 in shipping. They back 'em up. I put in the new parts in about 15 minutes, and was good to go.

When I bought my quattro I tried 4 or 5 different headphones. The SunRay's gave the best tones of them all, and I can wear them all day without any problem.

Good Luck,
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread