Difference in Threshold tone between Analog and All Digital Detectors

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was wondering if there is a difference in the threshold between an Analog machine (like a Whites) and a digital detector (like the Xterra70). It would seem that with a digital machine, a signal that's just strong enough to break threshold should beep because digital is usually, either on or off. With an Analog machine, like the Whites I've been using for a while you can turn the threshold up, just past where its audible and listen for that slight rise that repeats. Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but in my experience, its sometimes good for an extra inch or so in detecting depth. I remember reading about this difference somewhere and was wondering if its true.

Upvote 0

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I like a voltage controlled oscillator better than a digital beep.
Lots more 'nuance' to the tone created.
A 'bong' just doesn't cut it, for me.
All of us Tesoro people are SURE our machines talk to us. ;D
Sry, haven't yet had the opportunity to try a Minelab.
I'll bet they are great fun to learn.
Definitely have a good track record.

Best
rmptr

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, the analog and digital labels concerns the target indicators as in mechanical meters (analog) and LEDs (digital). The processing circuitry are all digital as in solid state components. The difference in the indicators is, the LEDs can indicate finer readouts than can be produced with meter components; plus, the meters have greater "lag" time in operating. Generally speaking, the meter indicators are very good and usuable in ordinary hunting. The main drawback is the meters take a lot more electrical power which translates into more batteries which translates into higher operating costs. Other than that, no problem. ;D Any difference in sound depends on how you have the threshold set.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread