Need some advice

Kick

Jul 21, 2008
MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I've owned a bounty hunter for several years but I became frustrated with it and put it away in the garage. Reading the posts on these forums excited me and I broke out the old BH to see what I could find. My house is 50+ years old and I immediately found coins with it. Mostly pennies, a few wheats and some other clad.

I read so many reviews about the Ace 250 and it was in my price range so I bought one a couple of months ago and I found coins the bounty hunter missed. Once I was farely comfortable with the ace, I took it to my dad's house which was built in 1909 and I have found almost 200 coins there, mostly clad and a few wheats.

Now my question...at either house, I expected to find some silver. Do you think the silver has settled outside of the 250's reach? Am I just being too impatient? Thoughts, suggestions?

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
"IF" silver was lost there it is NOT out of reach...

Try tossing a few silver coins down and see how the machines react... maybe you are choosing to ingore those signals?

OP
OP
K

Kick

Jul 21, 2008
MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Jim. Those thoughts were running through my mind while I was typing the post. 100 year old house with so many dropped coins, I've convinced myself that there must be some silver. Time will tell.

Only thing I know to do is to keep looking!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Kick said:
Thanks Jim. Those thoughts were running through my mind while I was typing the post. 100 year old house with so many dropped coins, I've convinced myself that there must be some silver. Time will tell.

Only thing I know to do is to keep looking!

I am a huge advocate of: "If it was dropped and you swing over it you'll prolly find it in most circumstances with most machines. But, first, it had to have been dropped. Sometimes there is nothing there. Also - Trust your machine to work, and learn to work your machine."

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kick said:
I've owned a bounty hunter for several years but I became frustrated with it and put it away in the garage. Reading the posts on these forums excited me and I broke out the old BH to see what I could find. My house is 50+ years old and I immediately found coins with it. Mostly pennies, a few wheats and some other clad.

I read so many reviews about the Ace 250 and it was in my price range so I bought one a couple of months ago and I found coins the bounty hunter missed. Once I was farely comfortable with the ace, I took it to my dad's house which was built in 1909 and I have found almost 200 coins there, mostly clad and a few wheats.

Now my question...at either house, I expected to find some silver. Do you think the silver has settled outside of the 250's reach? Am I just being too impatient? Thoughts, suggestions?

The reality is that, what is there is there....
Generally speaking people lost what they had, so if they were poorer than dirt... then your going to find ... dirt..
The easier or newer coins are always the first to come up, then with more time and slower walking
more older stuff will come up, but if you have already dug over 200 coins here, and not found a silver coin,
then if and when you get one, don't expect a lot more than one or two for the whole property.
As it appears that not that many were lost here or you would have found some by now...

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
"IF" silver was lost there it is NOT out of reach...

Try tossing a few silver coins down and see how the machines react... maybe you are choosing to ingore those signals?

It can EASILY be out of reach for an Ace 250. You can't ignore a signal that the machine can't see.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
There's two problems. With property this old it has probably been detected before. Detectors have been around since 1931. In the old days people didn't have many coins to lose and they were so valuable they were carried in a coin purse, not loose in a pocket. Losing a quarter back then was equal to losing twenty bucks today. How many twenty dollar bills do you find? And if any of these properties have ever had landfill of any kind deposited any old coins will be below that.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions