Hunted the ACE250 a little differently today

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
There is this park here down by the Lakefront that was built on fill and the ground is full of iron slag. Sometimes it is very difficult to hunt as the machine is constantly dinging. So today I decided to hunt it differently and got some good results. I set a new custom program that consisted of discriminating out everything except the notch for Nickle, dime and quarter. Three notches that's all. I turned the sensitivity all the way up and off I went. It was real quiet until I hit a real target and then it sounded and every target I dug was real. I pposted a photo of today's finds below and the Irish pin, the feather earring and the police badge, and the bracelet all came on the nicle notch, a steady tone. The pennies came on the dime signal along with the dimes. Strange thing about the pennies that ring on the dime notch, they are all pre 1983. Newer pennies get missed, I guess this has something to do with the zinc content of the newer ones. This is good because I didn't spend time digging the newer pennies and I didn't miss any opportunities for wheaties or indians or older pennies. When the machine said quarter, it was a quarter, and I tested a half dollar and it rang on the quarter notch too.

So after that long explanation I discovered that in really trashy areas, this setup may be the best.

HH
MichiganRob

Attachments

• 091998.jpg
    091998.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 091998.jpg
    091998.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that was a great idea and you did darn good too :thumbsup:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I do with my F2 in trashy areas except I find it helps to turn down the sens.

They started making those zinc Lincolns after 1982 and they hit lower on the scale.

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Thanks for the info. I scored a new 250 a few months ago. Have taken it out once. I will definitely follow this advice and see what I can come up with.

~HH~

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting concept! I'll be trying it. Nice finds. TTC

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a similar experience this spring...i had a very limited window of opportunity to search around a local swimming pool. Because of the time constraint i discriminated everthing except quarters and nickels(i left the nickel segment and the pre and postceding segments in). what really surprised me was the success i had. i partially attribute it to not being distracted by the endless beeps from the machine as it tries to lock in on a target segment. The Ace can become annoying when it sounds off a 'good' signal in one direction and then a 'bad' signal on the opposite swing. When this happens it is almost always junk but after a time in really trashy areas it tends to dull my senses. By eliminating almost all of the coin spectrum it really allowed me to focus on finding the gold and quarters(after all, who wouldn't dig a quarter?)

maxmoney

Sep 15, 2008
Bloomington Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini-3, Ace 250, Cen-Tech pinpointer
I tried the same thing today. I had a Mountain Dew cap and a lead weight that hit on quarter :icon_scratch:. One thing about this machine is every time it says 'dime" it has been a dime (at least for me), but I ran it on half not full like you. The extra bump you give yours may make it more sensitive to pick up and read pennies as dimes. Keep in mind that I make a pass both ways before determining what the machine is telling me. If it dings steady on dime both ways that's what I got.

Everything I dug early today was 3in or less deep and I felt like I missed a lot. I went back and set it on all metal and bumped it up a notch. From what I hear most rings hit as a pull tab with the ace. Its extra work to dig pull tabs, but one ring will be worth more than a years find of clad. Ever tab I dig is one point closer to earning a ring.

This gave me a good idea thou. Tonight while driving home I saw a huge baseball tournament that had hundreds of cars in the grass. I am going to go back at first light and set the sensitivity to one bar just to pick up stuff people dropped last night. I can cover the whole grounds in 40 minutes and I don't even need to dig. That way I am just picking up last nights droppings on the surface and nothing more.

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Good experiment-I'm hunting a trashy area tomorrow and will give it a try
You're right about the zincers, they show up one notch below the copper pennies

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
MichiganRob said:
There is this park here down by the Lakefront that was built on fill and the ground is full of iron slag. Sometimes it is very difficult to hunt as the machine is constantly dinging. So today I decided to hunt it differently and got some good results. I set a new custom program that consisted of discriminating out everything except the notch for Nickle, dime and quarter. Three notches that's all. I turned the sensitivity all the way up and off I went. It was real quiet until I hit a real target and then it sounded and every target I dug was real. I pposted a photo of today's finds below and the Irish pin, the feather earring and the police badge, and the bracelet all came on the nicle notch, a steady tone. The pennies came on the dime signal along with the dimes. Strange thing about the pennies that ring on the dime notch, they are all pre 1983. Newer pennies get missed, I guess this has something to do with the zinc content of the newer ones. This is good because I didn't spend time digging the newer pennies and I didn't miss any opportunities for wheaties or indians or older pennies. When the machine said quarter, it was a quarter, and I tested a half dollar and it rang on the quarter notch too.

So after that long explanation I discovered that in really trashy areas, this setup may be the best.

HH
MichiganRob

You mention you don't want to waste time digging newer zinc pennies. I agree with you, they are a pain (especially when they come up crusty), but notching out zinc cents means you'll likely miss the Indian Head cents you mentioned you'd like to find. Keep that in mind when you put together a hunting program in the future. Take care...

Joe

Kick

Jul 21, 2008
MS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I read this late last night and I couldn't wait for daylight to try it. I hit my front yard, which I have hunted really hard as I was learning to use my ace. I haven't found anything in the yard in almost 2 weeks but with this set up, I found a '37 wheat and an 89 dime.

Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread