Renting Metal Detectors?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
With all of these high dollar machines it seems that there would be a company that would rent out machines for test runs. I live in a place where there are no metal detector sales. I can't go down to a dealer to try out different units. I have to uy a machine and if it's not something I want then I have to re-sale it and I don't get what I paid for it back. Gets to be a pain in the tail.
Is there any place that rents machines by mail order?
I would love to try out the Minelab X-70, but just don't want to drop the money on it because it might not be something I want to keep.
A mail order rental would be great.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea except the rental company would have no collateral on the detector that they rented nor a way to get it back in good shape. How would they bill you for damages, not returning it on time, etc. :icon_scratch:

Sometimes it is necessary to drive a long ways to a dealer for testing in the shop. Many people only want to "buy" them to find a lost item and then return it for their money back.

On another track, what does a dealer do with a customer that comes in to learn about a detector and take up the dealer's time and experience, then leaves to order it online to save a buck? Is this fair.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
the big problem I see is that you will need lots of time to learn how to use a machine.I see so many machines for sell that are only 5-10 hours of use,I hated my machine when I first got it but kept at it an after a few months of use it was the best machine ever to me an 3 years later still use .renting a machine on-line would have a lot of cost,got shipping charges both ways with insurance,there's 50.00, going to need too use for a while to even learn the machine,there's another 100.00 or more,I don't see it really working out,you buy a high end machine an use it for a few months an you lose 200.00 on resale depending on machine.Then if you do like the machine you got cost to send it back so you can get a new machine with warranty,if theres a machine you want to try buy a good used 1 that has already lost some value then if you don't like it your lost will be even less.Very low priced machine would never work out trying too rent.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope,yer stuck like we all were.started out unsure,bought small,fell in luv with the hobby and upgraded.look at it this way,start with say a ace250(lotta guys KILL with that sucker)and down the line upgrade if ya need and you still have a great backup ............check out the forsale section,i believe treasureseeker is selling a 250 for $150,ya can't beat a deal like that

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I was really just thinking out loud. I know it would be costly to do.

I started out with an old White's 2900D. Didn't have the instructions and just played with it but still found some good stuff with it. Upgraded to the Ace250 and got the 9x12 coil with it. Found instructions for the White's. Found lots of good stuff with the Ace. With more knowledge on the White's I found some really nice stuff. Upgraded to the Tesoro Silver uMax and bought the 10x12 coil as well. Found lots of great stuff with it. Got a Fisher 1265x. Found some nice items with it. My dad wanted it so I sold it to him. Now I think I want the Minelab X-70 or Tesoro Cortes. Be nice if I could see if it's really what I want to use for my area, but there is not a dealer anywhere within 2 states of me.

I like the machines I have and keep on learnng more and more each time I use them. It's just that I hate paying big money for something and not being able to try it out first to see if this is what I want.

dtwilson3

Jul 11, 2008
Stillwater, OK
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Fisher 1212, Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
I remember being in a tool rental store and seeing a couple of metal detectors to rent. Of course, if they don't have the kind of detector you are wanting to buy, it won't do you much good, but it might be worth a try.

dtw

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dealer rents mds,but there bottom line ones

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i am like you i have no full line dealer close by and the ones i do have i know more than they do...................... I wanted to try out a Minelab Quattro for a few years now so just bought a used one for $484.00 off Ebay and if i don't like it i can more or less get my money back at lease what i paid for it..................What that all means is i have to buy a used detector to try one out unless a freind has a model i want to try.................Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread