Need some info and opinions for a newbie......

rook

Greenie
Aug 28, 2008
Well, I have been reading up on metal detectors and checking out the posts around here and have decided that I am going to get into MD ing. What I am hoping is that you guys could throw some advice and pointers my way. I am going to be hunting in southwest Ga. (stewart,Randolph counties) and the surrounding. I will be hunting fields,old homesteads,woods,old house sites, wherever I can get permission. So since I am new at this and don't want to get frustrated with a detector I can't work I thought the ACE 250 would be a good choice. I would like to find coins, jewelry, relics,caches, you know treasure. So do ya'll think that the ace is a good detector for this area and the treasure I seek?

Upvote 0

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace is basically good for hunting clad. Sure, you can find some old coins and jewelry with it, but that is not what it was designed for.

Some others will chime in shortly with some machines in that price range that are better suited towards relics, jewelry, and caches.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rook
I'm no expert and cannot comment on the "ground" in Ga. due to the fact that I'm in Ca. but my suggestion is try to rent different detectors if that's possible in your local area. If not the next questions is how much do you want to spend $. The Ace 250 is a very good inexpensive machine to determine if you like detecting, but if you already know you like MDing,and have the money, start out with a higher end machine so that you won't have to upgrade later.

Only my two cents worth, Good Luck and HH

fccdfed

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live over here in SC and I have an Ace 250. All I can say is I love mine and think I made a good choice. I have 4 other detectors that I use from time to time. The Ace is lightweight and I just had surgery and the whites is a little heavy for me right now so the Ace gets the most use. Read the reviews and then come to your decision...but most of all, get one that you think you will have fun with. That is the name of the game.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread