do you drag the MD on the ground? - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: do you drag the MD on the ground?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    de
    Apr 2016
    Makro Multi Kruzer / Fisher F11 with Nel Tornado coil
    145 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    You never drag the coil on the ground, I keep mine about an inch above the ground.
    This can be already the ideal height but it depends on the manufacturer. I read somewhere Minelab recommends 1 inch, but Makro in the manual for the Multi Kruzer 2 inches.

Charter Member

Aug 2014
    358 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacza View Post
    At a certain height you get less depth for sure, but I think for heavy mineralized soil (I speak of hard, dry, loamy ground, not a wet or sandy garden) the ideal height is some inches above ground with a bigger coil, especially for objects with lower conductivity (which will be masked by this mineralized type of soil).

Attachment 1941036
    I have a beach with moderate to heavy black sand. The tighter I can push that coil on the sand the deeper it goes. This also goes for every detector I have owned. This week I was working the 15" Minelab coil for the Equinox, for the first time. The tighter to the sand the better. A skilled person can tell the black sand/mineral ticks from targets.

Someone is feeding you malarkey.
    Treasure_Hunter and cudamark like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    EQX 800; CTX 3030; Excal II
    1666 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've hunted Florida beaches for a number of years now and I keep my coil above the sand by about an inch or half inch for all the reasons cited by EasyMoney. I found that this works best for signal stability and overall performance. Do I lose a bit of depth? Yes, as stated by Treasure_Hunter. But could I also miss targets by the potential instability created by dragging my coil along the ground? I'm sure I have and that's the reason I no longer let the coil touch the sand.

Just the view from my foxhole....
    Last edited by ColonelDan; Aug 06, 2021 at 12:34 PM.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets~

~"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

~Pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark. It's up to you to pick the best seat~

~Our Rights: "Unless you're prepared to surrender everything; don't surrender anything" ~ Mark Steyn

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links