Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I scrub the ground

With a coil Cover, So I don't need to buy as new coil.

It depends on detector type Whether
air is OK or not between the coil & the ground.

The sovereign looses Depth Greater then the Amount of Air under the coil.
& also looses ID accuracy

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go about half inch above the ground..maybe an inch or so when I get tired.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pretend that you are the coil and the ground is that hot young girl you just took to prom. The night is coming to a close... how close to her would you like to be? That's how close your coil should be to the ground.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
BTW the only thing I drag on the ground is my knuckles, well except when I'm necked. Maybe that's why all the girls wanna go detecting with me too ! ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The distance between the bottom of your coil and the ground is the amount of depth you've lost when you detect. Keep it low.

Buckleboy

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Yep gotta talk to the care taker at the local parks and school fields, tell em to cut the grass shorter cause I'm loosing depth. Prolly be losing teeth after that. :D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Yep gotta talk to the care taker at the local parks and school fields, tell em to cut the grass shorter cause I'm loosing depth. Prolly be losing teeth after that. :D

Psh... they barely mow the parks around here anymore. The parks department is way over budget and they can't afford to mow. Most times I go out I have to deal with 6" tall grass.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
jeff of pa said:
I scrub the ground

With a coil Cover, So I don't need to buy as new coil.

It depends on detector type Whether
air is OK or not between the coil & the ground.

The sovereign looses Depth Greater then the Amount of Air under the coil.
& also looses ID accuracy

I'm curious about what you call the scrub method, is that a left and right action or a back and forth one ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrub method is as close to the ground as you can go and most times touching it while scanning side to side. Your choice, left to right or right to left. You go back and forth when pinpointing as the target will sound off with the DD coils like on the Sov GT just off the tip.

Back in the old TR days the coil sat on the ground as that was about the only way to keep it a balanced threshold. The coil cover was rounded on the bottom for sliding better.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually run about an inch above ground but with Minelabs I usually scrub the ground (unless it's rocky) because the less air between the coil and the ground the better. At least this is what master users have told me so I stay with it.

Most brands lose lots of COIN depth if the coil is more than about 2 inches above ground.

Badger

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Thanks Sandman and MB. Don't see how that method would work with grass over an inch or with uneven ground, but since I use my 250 with 12" coil I get all the depth I can handle. I mean honestly who wants to dig deeper than six inches ? I struggle when I have something eight inches deep and I just give up when it's deeper then that. Seeing how I've never(Except in a plowed field) found anything good deeper than six inches. It's almost always junk or Iron. Now I here the latest theory is that old Copper sound off as Iron when they're deeper than six. What's a old broke down soldier supposed to do. Well I'm still workin on that whole water thing Sandman. :wink:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I scrape the ground.... with a coil cover. I eek out every fraction of an inch I can. If the ground is turned over, as in a construction site, I modify, adapt, overcome. TTC

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep low and slow, I scrub the ground.

I have found that with some garretts you can't do that with. Now my dad on the other end, I gotta find a way to get it across to him that you do not hold it a foot off the ground, especially when I am digging things at 12" as it is. He wonders why he can't find stuff :icon_scratch: ::) and I follow behind him finding things.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
I mean honestly who wants to dig deeper than six inches ?

I think the opposite. Who wants to dig something only 6" deep? It's generally modern and not old enough to make me happy.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bscofield6 said:
MD Dog said:

I think the opposite. Who wants to dig something only 6" deep? It's generally modern and not old enough to make me happy.

I don't know where You're diggin, but where I dig (the woods, yards, plowed fields...just about everywhere except the pastures) old finds ARE consistently in the less-than 6-inch range.

-Buckles

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
bscofield6 said:
MD Dog said:

I don't know where You're diggin, but where I dig (the woods, yards, plowed fields...just about everywhere except the pastures) old finds ARE consistently in the less-than 6-inch range.

-Buckles

Just to your north. Indiana. The vast majority of old coins that I find are 6" or deeper. Yes, I do find quite a few 4" deep silver silver, wheats, indians, etc. But MOST are deep. There are very few targets left in the range of 6" or shallower. They have all been found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread