Picking a new md for my 12 year old son. F2 / ACE 250 ??

wyattco

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2008
WE LIKE TO HUNT COINS/JEWELRY. I HAVE A WHITES DFX/SPECTRUM AND BOTH SEEM TO BE TO HEAVY/BIG FOR HIM TO HANDLE WITH COMFORT. MOST GOOD TARGETS I HAVE DUG ARE UNDER 6" AROUND HERE SO DEPTH IS NOT SO MUCH A CONCERN AS IS LIGHT AND EASY TO USE. I AM OPEN TO OTHER IDEAS ON MDS BUT WANT TO STAY AROUND $200.00 .

WOULD LIKE AN OPINION AND A COMMENT AS OF WHY OVER THE OTHERS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

JAMES

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wyattco said:
Just not sure about the Tesoro line of detectors. They look like they are using a design from the 70's. I am leaning towards the F2.

James

They are most certainly not toys, even though the control boxes are small. They are the only corporation to offer a Lifetime Warranty on their machines, and they are one of the few major brands that is made in the U.S.A.

-Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michigan Badger said:
Seriously, if you buy that F2, after you get it assembled and read the manual, bury a wheat cent at 5 inches and come back here and tell us how it read on your meter.

HH,

Badger

My vote is "Foil" :D

OP
OP
W

wyattco

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2008
Michigan Badger said:
wyattco said:
Just not sure about the Tesoro line of detectors. They look like they are using a design from the 70's. I am leaning towards the F2.

James

What! all that work to sell you on the crappy Chinese unit was in vain! ;D

Seriously, if you buy that F2, after you get it assembled and read the manual, bury a wheat cent at 5 inches and come back here and tell us how it read on your meter.

HH,

Badger

I honestly think the F2 looks like a better deal IMO. Easy to use and preset programs that are really close for what we are doing. Some of the my best finds have never displayed correct or questionable when deeper then 4". I think 90% of any machine is the operator and that starts with having knowledge/faith in your own equipment. I honestly dig 99% of the targets i find as it helps me learn more about my machine. I could see myself swinging the F2 and if he decides not to play with me anymore one more detector in my arsenal. Worse case it has to be worth something used.

5 year warranty + Bonus 4" coil and $40 pinpointer from Kellyco 199.00 free ship http://www.kellycodetectors.com/fisher/fisher-f2buy.htm

James

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
wyattco said:

James

What! all that work to sell you on the crappy Chinese unit was in vain! ;D

HH,

Badger

I've had mine about 2 months now and I regularly hit coins in the 5 to 6 inch range with correct ID's. Nickles that deep can be tricky they read 27-30 and take short semi fast passes over the target to steady the numbers, closer to the surface they will read 30-32 using short semi fast passes over the target.

I like to hunt with only iron being discriminated out. The ID readout is so fast and with 4 tones it takes but a second to decide if it's trash. The only time that I turn the sens down is when I'm near a transformer or large metal objects other than that it's wide open.
The depth read out during P.P. is less than accurate, it's just an indicator that you will have to dig deeper than it says.

Where I find the F2 excels is in very trashy environments. Notch out everything except nickle, dime and quarter, turn the sens down to 2 bars and go to town.

Oh and I have dug two wheaties and I remember one was at 4" and it read dime.

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I saw this post and just wanted to let you guys know that our offer for the bonus 4" coil is ending SOON. We only have 8 of those packages left and after that, there are no more. Then it's the same price for just the 8" coil.

Also, if you go to our website you can read reviews on it. Fisher is woefully lacking with information about their own product so we rely on our customers who actually USE them.

And as for Fisher being made in China, they are owned by First Texas, who also owns Bounty Hunter and Teknetics. So yes, that means they all come from the same place!

Hope this helps!
- KC

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
I'll point out one thing that I like with the F2 over the Ace and that is the large easy to see numbers on the screen verses the ace which I recall is very small, and I think it was just a pointer under the target block.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread