Picking a new md for my 12 year old son. F2 / ACE 250 ??

wyattco

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2008
WE LIKE TO HUNT COINS/JEWELRY. I HAVE A WHITES DFX/SPECTRUM AND BOTH SEEM TO BE TO HEAVY/BIG FOR HIM TO HANDLE WITH COMFORT. MOST GOOD TARGETS I HAVE DUG ARE UNDER 6" AROUND HERE SO DEPTH IS NOT SO MUCH A CONCERN AS IS LIGHT AND EASY TO USE. I AM OPEN TO OTHER IDEAS ON MDS BUT WANT TO STAY AROUND $200.00 .

WOULD LIKE AN OPINION AND A COMMENT AS OF WHY OVER THE OTHERS.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

JAMES

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out witn an ace 250, my 5year old could use it to. For the money they have a lot of features and perform as well as the higher models. I can't speak for the F2

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with the F2.
It's feather weight and lighting fast. It's dead accurate and very easy to master.
And you'll be buying from an American Company.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
19Blockhead64 said:
Go with the F2.
It's feather weight and lighting fast. It's dead accurate and very easy to master.
And you'll be buying from an American Company.

Hmmm, are you trying to say that there are no Chineese made parts in Fisher products?

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought one of those E bay junk detectors and thew it in the trash a month later. >:(

So is it really a good deal?

Plus I can't imagine a detector for the price that could out perform the F2. It's a real coin hog for its size.

And to find out if Fisher has "Made in China" parts in there detectors you would have to ask them and not just assume.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
19Blockhead64 said:
I bought one of those E bay junk detectors and thew it in the trash a month later. >:(

Plus I can't imagine a detector for the price that could out perform the F2. It's a real coin hog for its size.

And to find out if Fisher has "Made in China" parts in there detectors you would have to ask them and not just assume.
Oh yes there is parts from China in them don't for get they are now Bounty Hunter and i read that Whites has parts from China in them also............

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim_K said:
19Blockhead64 said:

Oh yes there is parts from China in them don't for get they are now Bounty Hunter and i read that Whites has parts from China in them also............

There part of First Texas Products not Bounty Hunter and where did you get your information on the Chinese made parts because I couldn't find any info on that.

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Jim is right! Fisher and maybe others use components made in China, it all boils down to their bottom line and that is making money!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Like Gary said ........Blockhead.. Yes it is money that is bottom line. And it is hard to say but China puts out some darn good electronic equipment. And i have used the ..American Hawk detector.. it has good tone and is deep just like ......Mich. Badger ......said. And in one forum here one member used the Americian Hawk on the beach and was finding as much as a $1000.00 detector............ I guess a metal detector no matter what you pay for it will detect metal..........But that low cost ...American Hawk detector......would pick up coins in my coin garden that 2 so called made in the USA detectors would not make a sound on.................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
W

wyattco

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2008
I am sure they all have parts made in China or some Asian country. What isn't this day? I own some fine pieces of electronics from China and neighboring regions. I just want what is best for my son first and for the money next. If I had $200 to spend what detector do you think would be the best buy?? From the research I did boiled it down to the F2 and Ace 250. At this time his size limits him from using either my Spectrum or DFX or he would be swinging one of those. I plan to purchase one as soon as I can make up my mind so I would really appreciate others thoughts. We will be hunting for coins/jewelry and most of what I dig is under 6" in great soil.

Thanks for your time and input.

James

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
wyattco said:
I am sure they all have parts made in China or some Asian country. What isn't this day? I own some fine pieces of electronics from China and neighboring regions. I just want what is best for my son first and for the money next. If I had $200 to spend what detector do you think would be the best buy?? From the research I did boiled it down to the F2 and Ace 250. At this time his size limits him from using either my Spectrum or DFX or he would be swinging one of those. I plan to purchase one as soon as I can make up my mind so I would really appreciate others thoughts. We will be hunting for coins/jewelry and most of what I dig is under 6" in great soil.

Thanks for your time and input.

James
I have a Ace 250 that i like but a lot of guys will say no not that thing..............And then a lot will say best detector in that price range...........That is what you are going to get then some will say no get the F2 and some will say no the Silver u max................You have to check them out your self they all say they are the best when you read there ad's... Go to google and type in garrett ace 250 or fisher F2 or Tesoro Silver Umax and you can read the reviews on them......................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
W

wyattco

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2008
[/quote]I have a Ace 250 that i like but a lot of guys will say no not that thing..............And then a lot will say best detector in that price range...........That is what you are going to get then some will say no get the F2 and some will say no the Silver u max................You have to check them out your self they all say they are the best when you read there ad's...==Jim_K==
[/quote]

I do not have the local resources to put my hands on either or I would. I thought maybe others have or had. I think they both look great on paper and in some of the videos I have seen. Have you had your hands on the Fisher?? How is the 250 on batteries and how accurate on pinpointing?

James

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Ace 250 that i like but a lot of guys will say no not that thing..............And then a lot will say best detector in that price range...........That is what you are going to get then some will say no get the F2 and some will say no the Silver u max................You have to check them out your self they all say they are the best when you read there ad's...==Jim_K==
[/quote]

I do not have the local resources to put my hands on either or I would. I thought maybe others have or had. I think they both look great on paper and in some of the videos I have seen. Have you had your hands on the Fisher?? How is the 250 on batteries and how accurate on pinpointing?

James

[/quote]The 250 pinpoints great with the stock coil and the 4 double AA batteries last for ever in the thing.......No i have never had the Fisher F2 and never used it and never saw it used...............==Jim_K==

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have the Ace250 and the more I use it, the more I like it. Even after finding some really nice stuff I never gave the Ace a chance. I dismissed it as a toy until recently. I found a review on this site and some of the things the person said made me go back to this machine and give it another good chance. After following some of the suggestions in the review I started liking the machine more. One day I was at my brother in law's house and got on Youtube to watch some metal detecting videos. I found several that showed the Ace250. I learned quite a bit from some of the videos. With my new found knowledge I put it into use at a local ballfield. We mopped up on the coins! Now I was more comfortable with the machine. I started to hit some of the places I knew where there were lots of coins but never done very well in these places. The past three days have been absolutely great! I don't know the actual total, but I have found close to $10.00 in coins. Normally if I found a few coins I was happy.
I can't put all of my success on the machine because I truely feel that the biggest reason I have been finding more is because I am learning how to make the machine work for me. It does a great job and the target ID is pretty much right on the money to a certain depth.
My 11 year old cousin uses it when he goes with us and he has no problems swinging the machine and finding a few items to make him happy. Next time he goes with us I will teach him the new things I learned about the Ace250.

I have never used the F2, but it looks like a nice machine. I really don't think you could get a bad machine as they will all find good stuff if you learn the machine.

Whatever machine you get him, have him learn as much about the machine as he can. Have him spend alot of time with it because this will make him find more.
Good luck to your son with whatever machine you go with. :thumbsup:

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
I don't know what Chinese unit the person in a previous post is referring to that was junk (he threw it away)

If I remember right it was the Treasure Hunter Pro or something like that. What happen is the sound stopped working after a few weeks and since it was under warranty I contacted the seller to find where to send it, He said I have to send it back to the manufacture. In China!

As far as the F2 pin pointing it's dead on with the exception of zinc pennies that lay on the surface, they give off a large signal. You soon recognize them and raise your coil 4-5 inches.

I don't know if you have any teenagers yet, but if their anything like my 5 where, that metal detector will be hanging up in the closet as soon as they discover the opposite sex.

So don't waste time getting that detector because your time is limited.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RON (PA) said:
Try the Tesoro Compadre. Great little machine and very light.

I agree! Or even better--the Tesoro Silver uMax. Twice the detector of an Ace 250, and about the same price--plus a Lifetime Warranty which Garrett doesn't have.

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread