Detecting baseball fields

DirtDevil

Apr 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV & Minelab X-Terra 50
I live close to a large park that has around 10 baseball fields. I know there is a very good possiblity that jewellery can be found in each of these baseball fields. I've never detected these fields before.

While walking my dog, I came upon talking to a couple gentlemen that came early for their games. I asked what the possiblity is to find lost jewellery after these games. Their response is that every team that comes to play in this park are already required to take off their jewels at home before coming to the games, reason being that if someone just lost their ring it would disrupt the whole game trying to find this individuals jewellery. Well, that didn't give me much confidence to find any jewellery in these fields.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I wasting my time to detect these fields? :dontknow:

Thanks

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have found several rings on ball fields.

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
Who does 13-17 year olds listen to. Just my thought. I coached baseball for 17 years. The kid's would ware anything trying to look like the Pro's. Always getting on to them. ::)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never detected the field itself. I figure if someone sees me they will think I'm creating a hazard by digging holes, but I do detect where the parents set up chairs and find lots of clad and pocket spills.

B

BIG61AL

I only detect on less manicure base ball fields[ public]...I figure if i start digging on a well kept field [high school] some grounds keepper will come chasing after me with shovel

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a caretaker ask me to stop detecting the outfield because of burried sprinkler lines...they're plastic and wont come up on your detector and he told me that more than a couple times, detectorists had punctured the lines. He said the infield was okay tho...no lines there.

I could understand his point. I never even considered it before then. And as hard as the ground was...I could see me putting a hole in the water line.

Older ballfields or less well-to-do neighborhoods that dont have the money to sink into irrigated fields would be the ticket. Just gotta watch those really nice, green, manicured ones. Could have sprinklers.

Al

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Baseball, football, soccer fields, the actual play field in my neck of the woods are strictly OFF LIMITS. You dig, you pay big time for total field repair or replacement.
Bleacher area, parking lots and such are OK, by permission only.

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
I hunt the usual areas in the ball parks, Seating areas, paths to the concession stand and bathrooms etc. Where I tend to find more jewelery and coin spills takes a little research. I find out when there are baseball, softball and soccer tournments at the fields. I scope out wheer the teams pile their stuff before they play and where they pile their equipment when they warm up. I go back and search those spots after the tournment is over and generally do pretty good, especially after girls softball tournments. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DirtDevil

DirtDevil

Apr 13, 2006
Hamilton, ON
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV & Minelab X-Terra 50
I appreciate the feedback and looking forward to start detecting at least one ball field soon before winter arrives. Overwhelming supply of beer bottle caps and foil :BangHead: to content with to find that elusive piece of jewellery, but fun to do regardless. ;D

beaverdigger said:
Baseball, football, soccer fields, the actual play field in my neck of the woods are strictly OFF LIMITS. You dig, you pay big time for total field repair or replacement.
Bleacher area, parking lots and such are OK, by permission only.
As for it being off limits, this baseball sports park is like any other park in the city I live in, as long as you respect the ground you are digging in, and this is not the first sports field that I have detected in this city, and all the others who have been there before me. I use a screwdriver to retrieve finds in city parks.

There are though some other very well maintained sports parks I will not dig in out of respect to the groundkeepers. You just know and see the work involved in up-keeping these sports fields. The higher maintained ones are even fenced in.

HH ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread