How hard would it be to water proof a land detector?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I haven't personally done it, but have heard of a few who have done it, and what they encoutered: It depends on if you want to make it just splash-proof (or for, like, incidental temporary dunks, but not for long term, or for depth, etc...). Because if you want to make it truly under-water (to a certain XX ft. deep or whatever), the accuracy tightness level necessity goes way up. Once you add the pressure of underwater at depth, water finds its way in at the slightest imperfections. But if you just want splash proof (or monentary dunks), then no, it wouldn't be as difficult (assuming you are handy with fabricating plastic housing and such).

Another problem people that have done this have to worry about, is sweating inside an air-tight housing. The more air-tight you get it (to the point where you can scuba, for instance), the more you create a green-house effect where sweat droplets can form on the inside. I suppose you can solve this with one of those moisture absorbancy packlets (like the kind that come in pill bottles), eh?

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to waterproofing, you'll also need to weigh the coil. A "land" coil is very tiring to hold down under water. In the least, an old sock filled with sand and tied to the shaft just above the coil will be needed.

If there's any chance you'll want to water hunt pretty often, then just invest in a water machine as another tool in your arsenal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a custom waterproofed Minelab Sovereign GT, I didn't do the work, I bought it from the builder. It is housed in an Ikelite case. I know some others have used a pelican case to waterproof their detector. Just remember one leak and you can turn it into an expensive paperweight.....

The Sov is suspended in the case, it would survive a small top leak or leak from the bottom.... The case floats, you can not dive with it, but I have had it in the salt water with me neck deep. I use both the dive belt and the shoulder harness to support it, and I release the belt when I am chest deep or deeper, it then floats to my side....

The hunter that built it put about $250 into the customizing, the case being the biggest expense.....He extended the sensitivity, volume, threshold and descrimination to the outside, all other controls are inside...Headphones are hardwired to unit, extended through outside through conector and double o-ring.

It works great. :icon_thumright:

DSC02144.jpg

WaterproofedGT2.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, you don't have a dog or cat do you? I see no hairballs or dog piddles on your rug. :laughing7:

It is possible to make most land detectors waterproof, but the cost is expensive and better to just buy a fully waterproof machine. Tom is right about the sweating inside the case too. I used to float my land detector on a tube with a plastic bag over it to keep water drops from hitting it. Condensation inside the bag could make the thing unstable.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Treasure_Hunter, you don't have a dog or cat do you? I see no hairballs or dog piddles on your rug. :laughing7:

It is possible to make most land detectors waterproof, but the cost is expensive and better to just buy a fully waterproof machine. Tom is right about the sweating inside the case too. I used to float my land detector on a tube with a plastic bag over it to keep water drops from hitting it. Condensation inside the bag could make the thing unstable.

No dogs, no cats, but I do have 2 parrots..... :laughing9:

The gentleman who did mine turned down more then a dozen requests to waterproof a Sovereign for them when they missed out on the one I bought. (I got it off the for sale board here.) Just too much time and work and I think he was concerned if one leaked, about the liability on the detector it fried, he couldn't be responsible for the detector. Mine has never leaked a drop, but like anything else there is always a chance..... I bought mine in January of 2008, he built it in the summer of 2007. I am sure it would cost more for the Ikelite case and parts now..... A Ikelite case is expensive....

I don't remember who it was, but another member here waterproofed one useing a pelican case and it worked fine for him....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
Now that was really slick. I wonder if he had any condensation problems?

Throw in a silica gel packet and don't worry about it. You can buy silica gel cheap at a craft store (they sell it for drying flowers) and make a packet the size you need.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you anticipate very much water detecting, I think you would be much better served by purchasing a dedicated water machine. If you build a good, reliable housing etc. you'll be in a fair bit that could have been put towards the water machine, anyway. My two bits.
luvsdux

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
That's a nice looking mod, TH.

Thrilla, you might search for Otter Ace... I can't recall the fellow's name, but he did well in shallow water with an Ace 250 in a box.

... But an older 1280-X is just not too expensive...

A purpose built machine has got to be the best way to go.
I sure would like to try an Excalibur II.

Good luck
rmptr

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info guys. I have decided to just get a water unit. Anyone got a 1280X they can part with for a not-so-tidy sum? ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
That's a nice looking mod, TH.

Thrilla, you might search for Otter Ace... I can't recall the fellow's name, but he did well in shallow water with an Ace 250 in a box.

... But an older 1280-X is just not too expensive...

A purpose built machine has got to be the best way to go.
I sure would like to try an Excalibur II.

Good luck
rmptr

Rather then go with the Excalibur II, give thought to a used Excal 1000. One of the two I have I got used for $475 off one of the boards and it works perfecty. I saw another one on Ebay, only couple years old at a "Buy Me Now" price of $575. I went to get me something to drink from the fridge, and thought about it, although I didn't need it I decided to buy it and sell my oldest Excal, when I returned to the PC 45 mins later it was sold. :BangHead: :angry4: I thought "you idiot, you should have bought it as soon as you saw it", I know the value of them, I could have kept it, or sold my oldest one .........

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I have done two of them, a Cibola and a Compadre. You can get a water proof box from Wal Mart. Can't do pics, but its easy to convert them, Both the Cib and the Compadre make a good water detector'

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
I have done two of them, a Cibola and a Compadre. You can get a water proof box from Wal Mart. Can't do pics, but its easy to convert them, Both the Cib and the Compadre make a good water detector'

Are you talking water proof or splash proof? A big difference when it goes under water and stays under water while your hunting in the surf.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a silver sabre II. The unit disconnects to hook onto your belt with lots of cord. I can imagine some shallow water hunting with it. Now if I can just mount the unit to my hat :laughing7:. Nice rig TH. :read2:

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 Tesoro Tiger Sharks. They're good to 200'. I strap em on my wading belt or my diving belt and go for it. Don't worry at all about water infiltrating. Jim

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup, that's the way to go... with a purpose built machine.

...Unless you really like foolin' around with stuff !

Best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread