Magnets for Meterorites ???

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I don't know if this question shoud be placed here?) I would like to attach a magnet to my digging tool for recovering meteorite's. My question is, can I use any type or shape of magnet(s)? I have a round, cylindrical shape magnet about 7/8" tall by 1 1/4" in diameter that came out of a old speaker, will that work or do you guys use a special "Rare Earth" type of magnet? Does it make a difference? I don't think so. . . What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

TC-NM

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stronger, the better,I say. liftloop

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Most meteorites have iron in them and are attracted to magnets. I bought some cheap meteorites
at Meteor Crater in Arizona and when I got home I checked them and they aren't at all attracted
by the magnet. I don't know much at all about metorites, but thought I would pass this info
along.
Rich

diggin tennessee

Jun 26, 2010
athens, tennessee
Detector(s) used
white's and explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TC-NM said:
(I don't know if this question shoud be placed here?) I would like to attach a magnet to my digging tool for recovering meteorite's. My question is, can I use any type or shape of magnet(s)? I have a round, cylindrical shape magnet about 7/8" tall by 1 1/4" in diameter that came out of a old speaker, will that work or do you guys use a special "Rare Earth" type of magnet? Does it make a difference? I don't think so. . . What are your thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

TC-NM
kjmagnetics.com has a great selection of earth magnets to choose from. use caution with these because they are super strong and can shatter into shards if they slam together. don't get body parts caught in between them and keep them away from t.v's, computers, credit cards...etc.

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure finder said:
Most meteorites have iron in them and are attracted to magnets. I bought some cheap meteorites
at Meteor Crater in Arizona and when I got home I checked them and they aren't at all attracted
by the magnet. I don't know much at all about metorites, but thought I would pass this info
along.
Rich

Hey Treasure finder,

You might have bought what they call "Teckitites" which are not attracted by magnets. I pick-up some great looking meterorite rocks along the roads up and around the Grand Canyon area which are attracted mildly with my magnet.

TC-NM

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dugie said:
TC-NM said:

Thanks,

TC-NM
kjmagnetics.com has a great selection of earth magnets to choose from. use caution with these because they are super strong and can shatter into shards if they slam together. don't get body parts caught in between them and keep them away from t.v's, computers, credit cards...etc.

PHEW Dugie!!!

I don't really need a magnet that strong! Thanks anyway.

TC-NM

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see if you can find some junk hard drives. I scrapped some out of some old Seagate scuzzi drives. These are huge compared to most drives. They'll snatch up tiny pieces of meteorites great. Junk drives can be found with ease put an ad on Craigs list & I'll bet you'll end up with a bunch. Can't beat FREE!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Thanks TC-NM
I got kind of interested in meteorites a while back, even went to one of the
dry lakes in the local desert, didn't find any. I have a Maxi_Pulse PI
detector I could use for the large meteorites. I thought I would mount
it on a frame and drag it behind a bike. Could take a long time, lots of
other projects going too.
Alternatively, a bunch of magnets on a frame might work as well.
Happy hunting,
Rich

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
If you want a really powerful magnet that is roughly 1.5" by 3/4" then tear apart an old hard disk drive. There are two very powerful magnets inside.

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nfunk said:
If you want a really powerful magnet that is roughly 1.5" by 3/4" then tear apart an old hard disk drive. There are two very powerful magnets inside.

Thanks nfunk and all that responded. In your opinion, would the magnets from the old hard drive be stronger or the one that came out of my old speaker? I'm going to pass on the rare earth magnets cuz they're just to strong!

Thanks,

TC-NM

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to think again. If you use a speaker magnet I'm almost positive you'll be disappointed.
junk harddrives are really easy to find and a lot of times you can get em for free or next to.

Here's a (lousy) picture of what I make. six magnets from some junk scuzzi drives a scrap piece of wood. This will get attached to a piece of 1/2" of conduit bent for a handle. Total price $0 These will lift a 4 HP Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine, yet you don't need a winch or crowbar to get it off the magnets. One hint, find a Tupperware container that will fit over it. This makes getting odd ball stuff & magnetite off easy.

Attachments

• 021111-25.jpg
    021111-25.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 521

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
Yes, hard disk drive magnets are many times stronger. In fact if you put two together, they are almost impossible to pull apart; you have to slide them apart.

RESET

Sep 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard drive magnets and the "rare earth" magnets you are talking about are the same thing, they are both made of neodymium. If I thought I could mail them, I would send you several for the cost of shipping. I have scrapped over a hundred hard drives and have all the magnets setting in a safe place.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any good N42 grade neodymium magnet

i have a stick with a round one with a hole in it mounted so that i can fit a pill bottle over it
cPath_128 | products_id_1001 | Neodymium Magnets 1 in x 1/2 in Disc Dual Sided Countersunk Hole - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines

its mounted on a walking stick.
I also have a small stick with the same magnet for hand use for testing what i find.
most people using metal detectors miss Chondrites and Achondrite type meteorites thinking they are just hot rocks

I went to a metal detector hunt one time where they had seeded a area with coins and other targets . they had also seeded the area with hot rocks to make things interesting.
I found one of the hot rocks and added it to my bag as a target and found the judges did not know they had used a Chondrite meteorite as a hot rock.

A magnet will not pick up a Chondrites or Achondrite type meteorite but you likely will feel the influence when passing the magnet over it if using a N42 grade neodymium magnet.

OP
OP
TC-NM

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to All that replied. I will try the N42 neodymium magnet. I have a small hand held digger/pick (green in color) approx. 20 inches long from Harbor-Freight. I'll epoxy the magnet to the top of my digger. I'm thinking of having a walking stick about 5 feet tall made of oak. Planning to attach a magnet on both ends w/epoxy and sorta use it as an extension of my arm to do probing the surface area I'm in.

Thanks again,

TC-NM

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to All that replied. I will try the N42 neodymium magnet. I have a small hand held digger/pick (green in color) approx. 20 inches long from Harbor-Freight. I'll epoxy the magnet to the top of my digger. I'm thinking of having a walking stick about 5 feet tall made of oak. Planning to attach a magnet on both ends w/epoxy and sorta use it as an extension of my arm to do probing the surface area I'm in.

Thanks again,

TC-NM

Hey TC, be careful with magnet, carrying your digger to near your cell or a compass or your detector- it/they will get fubar'ed. experience is a great teacher!@#$%^&*(, yelnif...

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a local 'farm' store nearby, check them out for magnets. We use magnets to shove down a cow's throat to get any nails, tin can lids, or any other metal objects the animals try to swallow. Those work really well and they're cheaper at a farm store than at a retail store. (They know farmers and dairymen don't have a lot of $$$, so they tend to be more fair priced.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread