Has anyone modified a Fisher handheld pinpointer?

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi everybody,
When I bought my F2, it came with a handheld pinpointer. It will detect a quarter at 3/4". I really can't think of a use for this thing with this kind of performance. Right now it's holding its own as a dust collector. Is it possible to modify this thing so it will actually detect an object at about 2 1/2" - 3" or more? I have read the posts on converting stud finders, but I'd rather work with this one if possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Do you really want 2 1/2" on a pinpointer? I usually set mine at 1". That way it doesn't drive me crazy in a small hole. Most pinpointers have a pot inside that can set sensitivity. Just look for an adjustment screw, BUT note it's position BEFORE you turn it. That way if you botch it up, you can reset it. The cheap way out is to get a harbor freight pinpointer. It will give you your 2 1/2 " pickup and the adjustment pot is on the outside. The best part is it cost under $20! It even has a headlite for dark holes! Now if you want an indicator light that goes on with the buzzer, add a LED to the case and hook the leads to the buzzer. The long lead+ of the LED goes to the red buzzer wire. The short lead- of the LED goes to the black wire of the buzzer.

OP
OP
slowNsteady

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I opened up the case and there was an adjustment inside. I was able to get a 1/2" greater depth. It's still far from what I'm looking for, but it's much better now. I have been following the threads on the Harbor Freight and Garrett pin pointers as well. Thanks again!

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
To get my increase on my Harbor Freight to about 2-1/2" I adjusted both the outside sensitivity turning knob and the little blue pot inside with the tiny brass screw inside. But be careful cause it's ez to strip the threading! Also be sure to make a small mark so you can return it to factory setting if needed. I also replaced the push on and hold on button with a push on/push off of better quality and buzz motor for vibration instead of the noisy little pezo. And a toggle switch to turn on and off the light cause I don't detect at night and you can't really see the light in the daytime when your eyes are adjusted to the sun...or at least I can't see it.
I also installed a rubber "o" ring on the outside adjustment knob and a larger knob. Makes it easier to adjust with bigger fingers and the "o" ring helps it hold the adjustment.
All these parts are available at RS and an hour or so free time, total costs about $25. Woodstock

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some pro detectorist said a low sensitivity pinpointer is enough for PP function.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did, I posted pics in this section, you may have to look back a pretty good bit to find them.

frankly

Greenie
Nov 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Home built.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the youtube videos on doing that, but whats an extra 1/2 worth?

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done the vibrator and switch, too, but left the light and buzzer as-is. I happened to have a neoprene case that it fits inside of like a glove, protects it from moisture and dust and allows the LED to shine out. I'm very happy with it.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done the vibrator and switch, too, but left the light and buzzer as-is. I happened to have a neoprene case that it fits inside of like a glove, protects it from moisture and dust and allows the LED to shine out. I'm very happy with it.

Does the F-pointer have an external LED now? Mine had one that was not visible, inside the case. Do the new ones come with a light that actually shines toward the target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread