Ace 250/150 Modification.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I thought I would post this arm cuff extension I've been working on to my Garrett buddies. It helps with fatigue and reduces the coil heavy feel. Also shifts the balance point 3 inches closer to your grip. Being longer it reduces the torque on your arm. Now the cuff fits on the big area of your forearm for a better fit. I call it the Garrett Gizmo. What do you think?

DSCF6586.jpg

DSCF6587.jpg

DSCF6588.jpg

DSCF6589.jpg

DSCF6593.jpg

DSCF6598.jpg

DSCF6599.jpg

DSCF6597.jpg

DSCF6600.jpg

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi,
I don't have an Ace myself, but you did a great job on that mod. I can see how that factory setting would get on your nerves. Looks Good!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I think when Garrett made these machines they thought maybe kids were going to buy them? I never had any machine with such a short arm cuff. Since most users are adults the cuffs don't fit very well. I have been using one of my first extension for over a year. I also gave several away with great feedback. So I made a few changes and decided to share them.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
Khouse, sure looks good to me. How can I get one for my 250? Please PM me.

HH

Desertfox

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one sweet idea. Where did you get that piece for the extension and what was the ID (inside dimension) for the extension tube?

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The extension is not a tube. I make them from solid 6061 hardened aluminum stock. I turn the od at .675 for a nice tight slip fit on the small diameter of the Gizmo. I buy the material in large quantities since I'm making several at a time. Your best bet would be a local supply house that sells by the foot.

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
Hi Everyone,
Since this thread was started, I have purchased a 250. It's a good little machine, but quickly found out that I couldn't use it for long periods of time. I have back problems, and heavy machines just kill me. The Ace is nice and light, but the arm cuff position was a problem as it makes the detector feel heavier than it is. I remembered this thread and ordered one of these extensions to try. Problem solved for me! It does still feel a bit nose heavy, but I can use the Ace a lot longer now. It's much more comfortable to use.
The piece was shipped really fast and is of very nice quality. The fit was excellent. This was something that worked out great for me, so I recommend it for Ace users everywhere. Just my two cents worth. Thanks again Khouse!

Storky

Jul 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great job. and i have been looking for something like that for a 400i. isent it the same tube ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions