Ace 250 Volume - Help Requested

Dirty Knees McGee

May 5, 2005
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
I have been working on a few mods for my Ace 250. So far, I have successfully put together a project box which is mounted underneath the forearm section of the shaft. It contains a switch that selects between my backup battery pack and the Ace's factory battery cage. For those of you considering this type of a mod, make sure you use a diode on the positive side wiring leading to your backup battery pack.... But on to the area in which I need assistance...

Sacrificing an old headphone cord, I have run wiring from the factory headphone plug to the box. The left and right channel wiring from the chord has been soldered to the 3rd terminal on the volume pot. Ground soldered to the 1st terminal from the chord and the new 1/4 and 1/8 plugs. The output was soldered from the 2nd (aka wiper) terminal and wiring ran to a 1/4 plug which was also wired parallel to a 1/8 plug (so I can have an option with any set of headphones). The left and right channels of the stereo plugs also have been soldered with a connecting wire so that audio is heard from both sides.

The issue... very very low volume even at max. I have tried different pots with values of 2.5, 10 and 100K but all have the same result. Does anyone have any suggestions or can let me know how they were able to utilize a pot in conjunction with relocating their plug? I've searched through the various mod posts but need more than just a picture of the final product assembled. Thanks for any help. Once I have everything working, I'll post pictures of everything finished.

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
The audio output of the Ace 250 is not stereo or even 2 channel; it is single channel that is connected to the tip and ring of the 1/4 inch plug (the sleeve, or ground, is not used).
In other words, headphones have a common ground at the sleeve, and right channel is connected to the tip and left channel is connected to the ring. The 2 speakers of the headphone are used in series; if you want to control the volume, use a 2.5k control in series. You won't be able to adjust the volume to zero, but then again, why would you want to?

OP
OP
Dirty Knees McGee

Dirty Knees McGee

May 5, 2005
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
Johnnysan,

You rock buddy!!! Thanks for the info. I got everything working nicely after reading your post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread